Page 1 of 3
People are always saying Gibsons are good guitars, yet overpriced. So are they worth getting at any particular price point? (I mean, is there a Gibson that is the best in its price range for the money?)
Quote by Turkeyburger
It's not cool to make fun of people with disabilities.....

(Being Norwegian is a disability)

Quote by BK202

Quote by cloudjessie42
People are always saying Gibsons are good guitars, yet overpriced. So are they worth getting at any particular price point? (I mean, is there a Gibson that is the best in its price range for the money?)

At the point where a couple of thousand dollars doesn't represent a significant chunk of your annual income.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
So they're never worth getting unless you're loaded?
Quote by Turkeyburger

Quote by BK202

Quote by cloudjessie42

from experience with stuck up people i know, yes

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Pretty much. Brands like Schecter and Hamer are the way to go. Incredible guitars for a not so high price tag.
The official Panamanian-Jamaican-Syrian-Canadian-American-Jew.

Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 Spider III 120 Watt
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal
Quote by cloudjessie42

Pretty much sums it up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

One thing 've never understood: A Les Paul standard is 2000$ (Around there)
A fender MIA Strat is 900$ Why?
well i think the explorers (only about 1000) is perfectly priced considering shecters are around the same price. and the LP studios dont sound half bad to me. and the Vs are ok, but their good not great you want a Great Gibson your looking at upwards of 2000 on and this is american pricing
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Gibsons, like many electric guitars today, are very overpriced. But I'm currently in the market for a used Gibson SG Standard, and there are several on craigslist for $700-$900 two or three year old, which isn't bad. Gibsons are amazing guitars, but the new ones are too much. If you could find a Gibson near this price range, I would recommend one in a heartbeat.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
There are four standard production model Gibsons I would buy, the SG standard, the les paul junior, the les paul studio and the les paul classic.

Outside of these, the only Gibsons that are not ripoffs are the VOS series. The VOS les pauls are the best guitars currently on the market right now. Amazing instruments.
I've been thinking about this as well. I'd love to have a Gibson Les Paul but find it hard to justify spending the cash to get one. Many people say the Studios aren't that great; I've played a few and didn't find them that outstanding myself. I'm currently playing a Hagstrom Select Swede that was almost half the cost of a Studio but plays great, yet I've considered trading it for a Les Paul, most likely a Standard. Anybody consider the Studio better than the Hag or an EC 1000 or the like?
Quote by Khit

They're completely different guitars made by different companies, why shouldn't the prices likewise be different? Having said that Gibsons are more fiddly to make and need nicer looking wood.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
They're completely different guitars made by different companies, why shouldn't the prices likewise be different? Having said that Gibsons are more fiddly to make and need nicer looking wood.

I know there different companies, what I meant was Fenders "Standard" Guitar is 900$ While Gibsons' is over double the price, it just seems weird...
Quote by Ippon
I wouldn't fault anybody for buying a Gibson. Overpriced, inexpensive, fair, etc., all are relative. Why does one buy a Porsche 911 GT3 RS instead of a Lotus Exige S?

im to tall to fit into a lotus
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
The other thing you have to keep in mind about Gibson is yes they are expensive, but they have a tendency to not depreciate in value like a lot of other guitars. If you buy a used Standard and treat it well, in a couple a years if you need to sell it you aren't going to take a loss.

Are Gibsons overpriced? Yeah, but so are a lot of things in life. A lot of people are willing to pay the price that Gibson charges, so you'll have to too.
They are over priced because they are a an Icon and a legend in the Guitar making business, you don't need one though having a super nice guitar wont make you a better player.

LTD ESP makes a nice guitar that looks like a gibson
Well being a Gibson owner I still find them overpriced. I did what people shoul do:
Get a used one.

I HIGHLY recommend Gibsons from mid-late 90's. These are FANTASTIC guitars and this era were when some of the best Gibsons were made. For an example, my Les Paul Studio beats out MANY modern day Standards. Most of GIbsons I've tried from this time period live up to the name. Not only that, but they have decent prices too!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
People give a pass on bashing Gibson for being overprice but are happy to beat the hell out of Dean for it.
Quote by The Behemoth
People give a pass on bashing Gibson for being overprice but are happy to beat the hell out of Dean for it.

It's like comparing cars. Why would you buy Saturn for the price of a used, mid-range Ferrari?

If you don't get it, it's because Gibsons are good and overpriced. Deans suck and they're overpriced. I've never played a dean that I liked, but I've liked 70% of Gibsons I played.
Quote by Mike!
It's like comparing cars. Why would you buy Saturn for the price of a used, mid-range Ferrari?

If you don't get it, it's because Gibsons are good and overpriced. Deans suck and they're overpriced. I've never played a dean that I liked, but I've liked 70% of Gibsons I played.

What hhgh end Dean guitars have you tried? If you did I'm going to ask you question about the guitar too to see if you are lying to because I work at a Guitar store and have been for 2 years and tried a lot of Dean guitars so, you will get caught in your lie.
Quote by The Behemoth

I have not played a Dean, so i can't vouch for them. However most of them are mainly metal guitars. Sure I could get the Les Paul like model, but they are the price of Custom Shop Gibsons, which I'd rather have...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
I have not played a Dean, so i can't vouch for them. However most of them are mainly metal guitars. Sure I could get the Les Paul like model, but they are the price of Custom Shop Gibsons, which I'd rather have...

Thank you for being the few that are honest and don't just follow people.
i love my dean and im tired of people saying the low end models are bad, in my belief their perfect for their price and the 1000$^ models are better, although i will say that deans paint is very thick so when the paint chips from accidents it is very noticable. and i will say that the ver tip of my headstock is chipped as well. not much more like hairline but still shouldnt happen
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
i bet if gibson got a line of guitars made in mexico or what ever they would still charge 1k for their guitars >.>
Quote by convictionless
i bet if gibson got a line of guitars made in mexico or what ever they would still charge 1k for their guitars >.>

You think so? When they have plenty of models made in the USA already under 1K?
Quote by Darkice
They are over priced because they are a an Icon and a legend in the Guitar making business, you don't need one though having a super nice guitar wont make you a better player.

LTD ESP makes a nice guitar that looks like a gibson

I know, I was never thinking of buying one its just something that keeps getting said around UG
Quote by Turkeyburger

Quote by BK202

Quote by Khit

When the Strats where designed in the 50s they where designed as a budget guitar for people who could not afford a Gibson. They used the Cheaper wood, bolt on necks, and more automated crafting.

That is still true and that is why the Strat is half the price of a Les Paul.

I'm not saying the Strat is an inferior guitar but it is cheaper to make. And Gibsons are overpriced. The standards should be no more than 1500$ but my studio was worth all $1072.68 that I paid for it.
Sig What?
If your interested in an LP check out Edwards guitars.

I too was stuck wanting a nice LP but felt that the quality was pretty crappy compared to the price. You can get Edwards off of Ebay for less than $900 shipped to you door all day.

They are made on the pro ESP line in Japan and can't be legally sold in US. There are a few excellent sellers on Ebay that will ship them to you. I got mine about a year ago and it's the nicest guitar I've ever played. I'd put it up against a LP Standard any day!!

Everyone who plays it can't believe the quality of work. Japanese luithers have definitely caught up and I dare to say surpassed a lot of US brands lately.
Gear:
2006 Jackson RR3
2006 Ibanez S520EX
Peavy JSX 120W Head
Roland Cube 30
as long as a gibson les paul is the single most desireble goal for a guitarist to obtain, gibson is gonna charge whatever they want for them

all the japanese lp copies from the 80s are better quality than the current MIA gibsons imo

as this good sir said^ edwards are great, so are tokai, burny, orville and greco

or if you are weary to buy stuff on ebay, an Epiphone Elistist will destroy any Gibson thats under $3000
Quote by TDS
You know what would be awsome? A phone that doubled as a fleshlight that recharged power through kinetic motion.

"hold on guys my phone's dying."
*fap*
"Ok we're good."
the studio is fairly priced, but i believe fenders are a better value. i am not saying they are better, both are awesome, but fender is a good value.

it comes down to personal prefference.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

Overpriced Gibsons, you say?
So, we're talking about all of them?

/thread
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Overpriced Gibsons, you say?
So, we're talking about all of them?

/thread

Fail. There are plenty of Gibsons that can be bought for under $1500 that are very good guitars.
Still worth less than they cost.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Still worth less than they cost.

Its called making a profit, tell me one guitar that is worth more than what they cost.

In the end, Gibson makes a solid guitar, using high quality woods, parts, finishes and are (in general) built well. That is what matters.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 15, 2008,
Okay, worth WAY less than the cost.
Besides, your Gibson-fanboy-ness isn't helping the argument, since your biased.

Yeah, I love Gibsons, but I wouldn't ever buy one, too overpriced.
And I have an Epiphone :P
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Honestly,

I picked up my new Gibson Classic w/emg's about 2 weeks ago. (switched the pups out already, i know, i know)

It plays far better than my Jackson RR3.

Shorter neck
Chambered body (about the same weight as the jackson...not THAT much heavier)
faster fretboard
4 speedknobs, switch doesn't get in the way when picking, because it is up top.

People rag on the new gibsons way too much.

YES, i can see a studio being horrible, and the "robot studio" guitars being horrible as well.

Once i got rid of the EMG's and put in the Blackouts, this guitar quieted down a bit, and at the same time, developed more overall tone, and a bigger bottom end.

The finish is flawless, the neck is fast, the tuners have not gone out of tune yet, and I play the damn thing 5 hours on an average day.

The only complaint about the new gibsons that IS WORTH mentioning?
Nitrocellulose paint! It fades from bottom-of-the-line guitar stands, and it's sticky as hell.

But, a good guitar stand, and some light sandpaper on the back of the neck is all you need.

Sure, Gibson's prices are up there.....but hey, have you seen PRS guitars lately?
Attachments:
1a.JPG
07' Gibson LIMITED EDITION Classic w/Emg's (replaced with Blackouts)
Jackson RR3
Peavey 6505+ Head
CryBaby
Ibanez TS9DX Tube Screamer
ISP DECIMATOR
MXR-10 EQ

www.myspace.com/dispozal
Last edited by Calgary_Rocker at Aug 15, 2008,
Page 1 of 3