Even though I've never heard of it and think it's pointless, why don't you use a tuner?

If the note is a quarter of the way between E and F then that makes a 1/4 step does it not? I mean, its not that difficult if you have a chromatic tuner like me that shows you graphically where your note is in relation to the note before and after it.

Where'd you get such a stupid idea anyway?
if you have a tuner that you can set different frequencies, mine can be set from 430-450, just change it up to 443 or 444, if not, just tune the low e up a half of a half step and tune the rest from there
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
You'll need a chromatic tuner, one that measures in cents. They tend to be a little pricier. The difference between half steps (one fret) is 50 cents. You just have to tune your E string, for example, to appx. 12.5 cents above E.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
hmm...1/2 step might work if you would be soooo carefull...but 1/4 step? O.o
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Tune by ear to the record; it'd be easier than using a tuner as long as you've got a reasonably good ear.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Ze_Metal
1/4 a step probably won't much much of a difference at all.

It makes enough difference to play along with the studio version of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" at least

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Jhachey22
capo?

Wouldn't work; you'd have to tune down by a 1/4 step to make it work as every fret is a 1/2 step.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It makes enough difference to play along with the studio version of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" at least

I suppose so, It does get annoying trying to play along with a song when your out of tune. I've tried :P
i would tune down a quarter step then capo the first fret so you don't break your strings. actually i wouldn't ever tune up a quarter step...
Quote by morgzilla
i would tune down a quarter step then capo the first fret so you don't break your strings. actually i wouldn't ever tune up a quarter step...

Depends on how you string your guitar.
Aren't there plenty of tunings where you tune some strings up a half-step (maybe even a step?)
Dude what do you need that for? i mean i know the saz (turkish instrument) uses quarter tones but in american instrument you're not really gonna need quarter tones, to those not accustomed to the sound of quarter tones it'll just sound out of tune. If you really need it then you'll need to change the tuning of the tuner, like something other than 440, i have no idea what though.
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
I know this problem for we have grand piano in our studio that is a little bit on the flat side lately. Untill we can afford a piano tech this is how we get around this.
First I set the A=440 button on my tuner to match the not quite A on the piano. That means that I choose a value that makes my tuner point an exact A. Then we tune all other instruments with my tuner.
When I have to cope with an out of pitch recording, I usually tune one string by ear (mostly on the root note of the defining chord of the piece) then set my tuner to match that string and finally tune the other strings.
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at Aug 15, 2008,