Ok So I am interested in putting a floyd rose in my Gibson Faded Cherry V. But I dont know what size nut to get. What trem block or anything. As a matter of a fact. I know pretty much nothing about a floyd rose at all.. lol all I know is that it is a bitch to restring. So if anyone would like to help me on this matter. That would be GREAT!!! and would surely appreciate it.
My Gear:
Gibson Flying V (active Emg's 81, 85)
Peavey 6505 Amp

Avatar Cab /w Vintage 30's / G12H-30's
Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer
Roland Cube 60
What you should know is it will cost you more to get it done than what it's worth.

$180 for the OFR itself plus at least another $200 for the routing that will need to be done. You're better off just saving some money and buying a whole new guitar outright.
Quote by T!AN
What you should know is it will cost you more to get it done than what it's worth.

$180 for the OFR itself plus at least another $200 for the routing that will need to be done. You're better off just saving some money and buying a whole new guitar outright.

I realize that but im having someone customize my guitar for me anyways so I decided on replacing my tune-o-matic with a floyd.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505 Amp

Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Roland Cube 60
Well it isn't a matter of just switching out the bridge, you have to route out a big chunk of wood in the back of the guitar to accommodate the springs for the OFR.
well ****...... Would the same happen if I decide to take a chunk out of the back to accomadate for my emgs? Because everytime I have to replace the battery I have to take the pickguard off.. and the battery doesnt fit all the way.. lol ...
My Gear:
Peavey 6505 Amp

Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Roland Cube 60
not only is there a huge amount of routing for the tremolo unit, but you also have to do some work on the headstock for the locking nut as well.
it would probably be easier to add a kalhler tremolo, and one of those behind-the-nut locking nuts. but a kalher is no floyd
Last edited by sethp at Aug 15, 2008,
Well how is kahler any different?
My Gear:
Peavey 6505 Amp

Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Roland Cube 60
the routing cavity is much smaller and doesn't go all the way thru the guitar body. its just basically like a pickup route for the unit's tension springs. you can also get a model that anchors to the guitar by the ToM stud holes that are already there. but its a much different feel from the floyd. its not double-locking like the floyd. it only locks at the nut. or actually a locking block that gets mounted behind the nut, on the headstock.
i had this setup on an old guitar and i didn't care for it at all. i found that there was bad string binding at the nut. and i didn't really like the action of the tremolo itself.

only thing i can say is try to it out yourself
dont get a khaler, they have issues with staying in tune during string bends.

And you're a fruitcake.
a rout for a floyd rose basically tkes out almost all the wood underneath your bridge pickup, a complete hole where your ToM used to be, and if you want it recessed, some out to where your stopbar used to be.

Really the only time converigna guitar over to a floyd is worht the money, is if the guitar is extremely valuable.
For insance. If you bought a custom shop lp. and you absolutely needed a floyd for everything and wanted to keep the LP.

But unfortunately for you, overpriced budget model is no custom shop guitar.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Could you even get a Floyd on without overhang of the lock bolts?

My vote would go to Kahler if you absolutely want one, but I agree they don't stay in tune as well.
Quote by kool98769
dont get a khaler, they have issues with staying in tune during string bends.

So does almost every other tremolo bridge, the FR included. I think the Ibanez ZR is the only one that effectively tackles this problem. Detuning while bending generally has more to do with string tension and bridge tension, but the actual design of the bridge does indeed play a part, and I do agree that the Kahler's aren't quite as stable as the FR's, but it's the nature of a trem to lack tuning stability.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Check out the Kahler 7300 Hybrid. They are a drop in for tune-o-matics. You can always go back to your stock setup.
Quote by Kendall
So does almost every other tremolo bridge, the FR included. I think the Ibanez ZR is the only one that effectively tackles this problem. Detuning while bending generally has more to do with string tension and bridge tension, but the actual design of the bridge does indeed play a part, and I do agree that the Kahler's aren't quite as stable as the FR's, but it's the nature of a trem to lack tuning stability.

what the hell are you talking about?

The FR has no problems with the strings going out of tune after a bend
that is the point of a DOUBLE LOCKING system.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769

The FR has no problems with the strings going out of tune after a bend

He's referring to when you bend a string, if you try to play another it will sound out of tune. I think...
They are all going to sound sucky without proper technique.
Quote by kool98769

The FR has no problems with the strings going out of tune AFTER a bend

Quote by kool98769
they have issues with staying in tune DURING string bends.

You sir, need to pay more attention to what you're talking about when you make failed attempts to chastise people.

You made a statement, I elaborated on the fact that your statement wasn't so product specific as your post tried to imply, and then you try to chastise someone under the premise that your original statement was somehow different than the way you posted it. I'm not trying to cause this thread to degenerate into some type of personal attack, but you obviously have a reading comprehension problem.

EDIT: Mods, please pardon this seemingly rash outrage. I've always taken great offense to people questioning my logic when their stream of questioning makes no logical sense in and of itself.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Last edited by Kendall at Aug 16, 2008,
just buy a LTD guitar with a floyd that is a V, wayy better imo or if you want a quality floyd get something else with a quality floyd. dont waste your money and after a while you will see how useless a floyd is really, i have one and have found this out the hard way >.> i have a good edge pro that was set up perfectly and im starting not to like it.
Alright thanks guys. Heres one more question. My V has EMGS and the only way to change the battery is to remove the whole pickguard whilst changing the strings. So if my battery dies I HAVE to change the strings and its just a pain. Would it affect my tone if I used a backing plate to compensate for the battery? Plus the battery has to go in JUST right and it doesnt even FIT in all the way. Theres a TINY lump in the pickguard. the people who did it kind of did a messy job.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505 Amp

Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Roland Cube 60
Quote by Hammett5
Alright thanks guys. Heres one more question. My V has EMGS and the only way to change the battery is to remove the whole pickguard whilst changing the strings. So if my battery dies I HAVE to change the strings and its just a pain. Would it affect my tone if I used a backing plate to compensate for the battery? Plus the battery has to go in JUST right and it doesnt even FIT in all the way. Theres a TINY lump in the pickguard. the people who did it kind of did a messy job.

One battery should last you quite a long time.. It shouldn't be that much of a hassle.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by Hammett5

Why do you HAVE to change the strings? Can't you just loosen them and pull the tailpiece off of the posts and let it hang?

Get creative and cut a hole in the pick guard and make a cover out of something.
Quote by Kendall
You sir, need to pay more attention to what you're talking about when you make failed attempts to chastise people.

You made a statement, I elaborated on the fact that your statement wasn't so product specific as your post tried to imply, and then you try to chastise someone under the premise that your original statement was somehow different than the way you posted it. I'm not trying to cause this thread to degenerate into some type of personal attack, but you obviously have a reading comprehension problem.

EDIT: Mods, please pardon this seemingly rash outrage. I've always taken great offense to people questioning my logic when their stream of questioning makes no logical sense in and of itself.

That wasnt harsh.
You just have no idea what i meant.

The floyd rose, if it's set up properly, and is quality, will have no problems with going out of tune after string bends, unlike the khaler.
I should have phrased the during part differently.
Perhaps you have never owned a floyd, but inheritly, when you bend a string, that forces more tension on the bridge, resulting in the bridge coming up a bit, resulting in ALL THE OTHER STRINGS becoming a bit flat, usually by about a 1/4 step or so.
Understand now?
So technically, it is out of tune DURING a string bend. If you like to do slash or skynyrd solos, where you bend a string up a whole step, and then hit another note while holding the bend, the other note you hit won't be perfectly in tune. Same with octave bends. The bending of the string up to the octave results in the root becoming a bit flat. We will actually play the whole octave a bit flat then too, as most people use a reference point as the dissonance dissapears, then the note must be correct.

Hope i didn't confuse you too much.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer