Hi there,
i have about $580 to spend on a amp i would like it to be tube. it would be my first tube amp. i play metal/shred/fusion im looking at a amp something between 30-50 watts. i need something that has really good cleans and heavy distortion.i listen to players like guthrie govan,prtest the hero,lamb of god,john petrucci,satriani,vai,gilbert,greg howe,allen hinds and allan holdsworth.
i was wondering if you could recommend a amp in my price range.
thanks alot.
i should also add the guitar im playing is a 1990 Made In Japan RG770DXLB if it helps
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Please use the edit function.

I would get a Mesa F-50 or used JSX or used Vetta (if that is possible for that budget).

sorry about that :S
none of those have i seen under 800 where i live.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Where is that? You could get a F-30 instead or a used Peavey XXX.

Canada and the one i said that was 800 used was the f-30 people up here are expensive and i cant buy it off ebay cause i got ripped once
Last edited by tenaciousjp at Aug 14, 2008,
Quote by tenaciousjp
Hi there,
i have about $580 to spend on a amp i would like it to be tube. it would be my first tube amp. i play metal/shred/fusion im looking at a amp something between 30-50 watts. i need something that has really good cleans and heavy distortion.i listen to players like guthrie govan,prtest the hero,lamb of god,john petrucci,satriani,vai,gilbert,greg howe,allen hinds and allan holdsworth.
i was wondering if you could recommend a amp in my price range.
thanks alot.

are you me

this is almost exactly my budget/taste in music/needs/current gear

i don't need to make a thread now
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

an unsaturated fattylolcid.
Maybe score a used Peavey Ultra? Also try checking craigslist, you can try before you buy that way. (Unlike e-bay). There are more hi-gain amps out there, used Bugera B-52, Randall RC50tc, or the traditional Classic 30 - not as much a "high" gain amp tho.
Quote by gregs1020
Maybe score a used Peavey Ultra? Also try checking craigslist, you can try before you buy that way. (Unlike e-bay). There are more hi-gain amps out there, used Bugera B-52, Randall RC50tc, or the traditional Classic 30 - not as much a "high" gain amp tho.

i've been looking the past month and a half on craigslist..nothing even close to a ultra. i heard bugera isnt very reliable and the only randall i seen was a soild state. the classic 30 isnt really for me i need gain!!! :P:
Bugeras aren't unreliable. They aren't reliable. They are just new and not many people know how they last. From pretty much every bad story about them, they messed up within the first month so they are covered by warranty. Any of them that last longer than that, (vast majority) seem to have no problems at all.
i saw i 2x12 lagacy combo on my craigslist ..for 800 im telling you canada is good to live but people hear are cheap and 90% drunk.
have you been to canada in your life...?....eh?
so i went to my local guitar shop and they recommended i try the valveking its like 400 bucks with taxes
and it was alright the cleans were good nothing amazing the overdrive/distortion channel wasnt heavy enough so do you guys rekon anything else i should try?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Spotted any Randall RG50TC's in your area?

nah just the rh100 ss head, i wanna go tube and a combo( i know the randall you mentioned is tube but havent seen one yet)
Quote by forsaknazrael
Maybe call around some more? Dunno. Keep an eye out for it, it's a good deal for budget metalheads.

yeah but it also has to have good cleans i play fusion too:S
i know its awkward metal/shred and fusion guitarist...:S
Quote by forsaknazrael
The RG50TC has decent cleans.

TBH, what you're asking...is a lot to expect from your budget. At lower price ranges, high gain amps don't also have nice cleans. And amps with nice cleans don't also have good high gain.
Keep that in mind.

true...should i just sell my guitar because i would much rather have a better amp then a great guitar.
i have a 1990 MIJ Ibanez RG770DXLB i could get 600-700 bucks to my budget but hell i would miss the guitar but what do you think?
Keep the guitar, if you like it, mang. Just gotta keep putting some money away. Amps for people who need high gain are a real conundrum. There's some decent ones at lower price levels, like yours, but they fall short at various thing, cleans oft being one of them. Then, you don't enter uber awesome high gain amps until you get well past 1000. It's hard.

Maybe...Consider a used Carvin V3 combo? I believe they go for less then 700. They have a healthy amount of gain, and good cleans. If I were to play metal, I'd be playing like Mastodon stuff, so i'd need to be heavier...but it might do the trick for you. Don't expect to see any dealers, though. Carvin sells direct.