I just bought the old style Peavey C30 which I love... I'm debating whether I should sell my old beginner (Crate) amp or not. It would be a fine backup, but do you think I would need it? Do amps ever just crap out randomly? It's got brand new tubes.
Peaveys are bult like tanks (and churches). They have one of the best reputations in the business when it comes to quality and durability, and I've never had a problem with mine. You can take the things to Hell and back and you'll die before they do.

But that's just my opinion.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Quote by Artemis Entreri
My VK has never broken down, nor have any of my other Peavey amps. Built like churches.

So in the early 90's they weren't protected?
Peaveys in general, except maybe for the little Rage practice amps and such, are built like freaking tanks, so you should have no worries there at all.
I could probably drop my JSX from 3 stories and it would still work and sound awesome.

I do not, however, recommend dropping your amp from 3 stories.
ESP EC-400 AT Goldtop
Fender 62 Jazzmaster
Fender Mexican HSS Strat
Fender 60's Reissue Strat
Peavey JSX Halfstack

**Member #10 of the PEAVEY IS AMAZING club!**
Quote by izzymcfizzy
Peaveys in general, except maybe for the little Rage practice amps and such, are built like freaking tanks, so you should have no worries there at all.
I could probably drop my JSX from 3 stories and it would still work and sound awesome.

I do not, however, recommend dropping your amp from 3 stories.

Nah, I've beat the **** out of my rage. Wonderful amp for 89$
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
You could just about dunk my 6505 in water and it would still work. The thing is a tank.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Peaveys for the most parts are tanks.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I actually heard that they built peaveys from broken down tanks. and the tubes are the shells of anti aircraft missiles....ok that was a serious stretch. But mine are still goin, both the head and the cab
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
A buddy of mine plays bass through a Peavey TNT when playing small gigs. They were on the way to a bar they were playing one night and when they went over a bump in the road the tailgate of the truck fell open and the amp hit the road doing about 35 miles an hour. The amp was scuffed up and a big chunk of the tolex was ripped but otherwise looked OK. Not having an idea as to the integretity of the circuits they went to the gig, he plugged in the amp, the light came on and he played through it that night.
Aside from the Chinese Valvekings I have not heard of any major issues. I didn't think the cabs on the Windsors were well done, but that is a minor thing.
The Peavey VK's are built well, But they can catch fire. It's got something to do with a wire rubbing against something IIRC.
Signatures are overrated.
Quote by Moe.
The Peavey VK's are built well, But they can catch fire. It's got something to do with a wire rubbing against something IIRC.

Yeah, I'll let you know when my VK explodes. you'll be waiting a long time though, It's never even offered to give me a problem.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
Yeah, I'll let you know when my VK explodes. you'll be waiting a long time though, It's never even offered to give me a problem.

Oh yeah, because every VK is bound to catch on fire.
Although your amp probably wont break down, I find it nice to have a backup in case you somehow cant use the peavey. But, you can sell the crate for cash to buy an OD for the C30 for added versatility/gain boost.
Quote by Moe.
Oh yeah, because every VK is bound to catch on fire.

That's what I'm saying, I just didn't want anyone to be mislead thinking that this was at all common. Maybe I've been in the pit too long to think people would think that. anyways
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
That's what I'm saying, I just didn't want anyone to be mislead thinking that this was at all common. Maybe I've been in the pit too long to think people would think that. anyways

TBH It is common. Just not bugera common.
I've read 4 reports of VK's catching on fire.
Quote by Moe.
TBH It is common. Just not bugera common.
I've read 4 reports of VK's catching on fire.

Although when you consider how popular VK's are, 4 is an extremely small pecentage.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

TS, the Classic 30 is VERY rugged, but if it's the old style and you're gigging, invest in a tube guard!
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
My 5150 combo is in excellent working condition, it's 11 years old, and I believe it still has the stock tubes.....it's a beastly and rugged amp, the previous owner HARDLY played it, and when I mean hardly I mean the last time hayley's comet was seen, not really but you guys know what I mean
Last edited by solitaryshell90 at Aug 15, 2008,
Quote by classicrocker01
Although when you consider how popular VK's are, 4 is an extremely small pecentage.

True.
I still don't really appreciate the VK's existence though.
I had heard that early on there were reliability issues with VKs but I think most of them have been addressed. For example, I don't think they had Tube Gaurds on them when they first came out. They do now. I would be curious to read those articles on things catching on fire so if anyone can post or send to me that would appreciated.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I had heard that early on there were reliability issues with VKs but I think most of them have been addressed. For example, I don't think they had Tube Gaurds on them when they first came out. They do now. I would be curious to read those articles on things catching on fire so if anyone can post or send to me that would appreciated.

yeah, I got mine right when they came out and it didn't have atube guard, but I got one shipped to me free. So cool.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I've read of a few issues of the physical construction of the amps. Once I heard filter caps. Heard the fire story once or twice. Sell a lot or not, you hear of a LOT of issues, though I have not heard many as of late.
I have a Peavey Classic 20 which is sort of the little brother to the Classic 30. For a 15 watt tube amp it's very heavy and built tough. The cabinet wood is thick and sturdy and the tweed covering seems to be a tough high grade. The switches, jacks, all the hardware are thick steel. Even the circuit board and components inside the amp chassis looks heavy duty.

My amp did explode a capacitor and a couple resistors a while back but Peavey repair fixed it and put new power tubes in for less than $50. They were polite and helpful on the phone too, which seems to be less common in these days of outsourced "customer service".
Any amp is susceptible to failure, theres multiple reports for any amp made to date. Bogners are known to crash and burn as well. Soldano even makes a military spec model if you have the cash and want to make sure it doesnt break down and even then it comes with a warranty which goes to show you not every amp is perfect...

Moral of the story all amps fail from time to time if you only heard of 4 storys out of the thousands shipped off then its really not that big a deal. Now if 40 blow up then we have an issue.