Hey guys, I'm new to the community (not exactly new to the site though)..

well here's the big question, I'm torn apart between Martin and Taylor, and can't quite choose

I've played both already, and I still can't make up my mind.

these two are in my "maximum budget range" and I want to make my decision fast, so I'm looking for some help from any of you Martin and Taylor vets.

Those who have this specific model would be much more helpful, but all help is welcome.

Thanks in advanced. haha
I can't really tell you which guitar you like better. They are both nice guitars, though different sizes. I'm sure you know that already. Really, just buy the guitar that you like better. Take into account sound and feel.

These are really two completely different guitars, and just to make your decision tougher, I would recommend that you go play some Larrivee's as well. Their quality is on par with martin and taylor, but for a better price.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
Quote by slidething31
I can't really tell you which guitar you like better. They are both nice guitars, though different sizes. I'm sure you know that already. Really, just buy the guitar that you like better. Take into account sound and feel.

These are really two completely different guitars, and just to make your decision tougher, I would recommend that you go play some Larrivee's as well. Their quality is on par with martin and taylor, but for a better price.

haha appreciate the info man I'll definitely check them out!
thanks a lot again!
I recently played a Larrivee and absolutely loved it. I didn't used to like them, but i guess it was just that the ones i've played jsut werent my thing. Definitely look into the larrivee 03 series. I dont know why, but i love guitars i the $1000ish range more than any expensive ones i've ever played. Anyway, if you get a chance... try out the 03 series sapele body. absolutely wonderful. It has a nice bassy presence that's more martinesque, but still very balanced and versatile.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
funny thing, when I was getting my guitar, I was deciding between a Martin and a Taylor 314CE. Plugged in, the Taylor blew the Martin out of the water, 100%. even unplugged, the Taylor sounded superior, with a wonderful bright sound. I got the 314CE and I have never regretted it at all. It's an amazing guitar.

Also, the playability of the Taylor is what really got me. The action was much lower and soo much easier to play compared to the Martin.
Last edited by Khoifish321 at Aug 14, 2008,
I got the Taylor414ce, about 2 years ago, and honestly the thing isn't holding up very well. The action and sound are incredible, but I've got sizeable fret wear on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd frets. Also I've worn the finish of the bottom of the sound hole, and the small scratches past the pickgaurd from strumming have combined into one big blemish now. Some of the binding is cracking as well. I expected a guitar that cost that much to last a little longer. Great guitar if you don't do anything but play safely in your house and put it right back in its case. I hope this isn't the case with all Taylors.
Last edited by Danitarium at Aug 15, 2008,
Honestly, nobody can ever really say that "________" guitar is so much better. Guitars are too much about personal preference. I've played literally dozens of taylors, but i've never liked even one of them.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by Danitarium
I got the Taylor414ce, about 2 years ago, and honestly the thing isn't holding up very well. The action and sound are incredible, but I've got sizeable fret wear on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd frets. Also I've worn the finish of the bottom of the sound hole, and the small scratches past the pickgaurd from strumming have combined into one big blemish now. Some of the binding is cracking as well. I expected a guitar that cost that much to last a little longer. Great guitar if you don't do anything but play safely in your house and put it right back in its case. I hope this isn't the case with all Taylors.

No offense, but I'm going to say that there's more to the story that we don't know.

I bought my first taylor (also a 400 series) 8 years ago. I've had it through college (a dorm room and 2 different apartments), moved across the country, lived in 4 different houses here, countless shows, been to the beach, in a kayak, etc. etc. and it still looks like day 1, and plays even better.

I've had it in dry climates, humid climates and everything in between...

I know of many other Taylors that have held up just as well.

A large part of Taylors reputation is their quality control. They are known for having the most consistently well built guitars of any of the mass produced brands.

This comes down to personal preference, but for me I'd choose the 314ce and never look back. They are wonderful guitars and I've played quite a few of them.

-J
Quote by captivate
I recently played a Larrivee and absolutely loved it. I didn't used to like them, but i guess it was just that the ones i've played jsut werent my thing. Definitely look into the larrivee 03 series. I dont know why, but i love guitars i the $1000ish range more than any expensive ones i've ever played. Anyway, if you get a chance... try out the 03 series sapele body. absolutely wonderful. It has a nice bassy presence that's more martinesque, but still very balanced and versatile.

haha thanks bud I'll definitely check it out, a lot of people I've talked to are giving off good vibes about this brand and 2 people on here too (one of them being you) haha

well I'm gonna head to my local GC and check out whats up and see if there have some
Quote by hucha10
haha thanks bud I'll definitely check it out, a lot of people I've talked to are giving off good vibes about this brand and 2 people on here too (one of them being you) haha

well I'm gonna head to my local GC and check out whats up and see if there have some

Larrivee '03s are wonderful guitars as well. I highly recommend them and I love Taylors. I rotate between my Taylor and my roommate's Larrivee OM-09 all the time.

I don't think guitar center carries them anymore, but if you check out their website they have a nice dealer listing. Worst Case Scenario, check out http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/larrivee.html They're down the street from me and they ship internationally.

-J
I almost bought the MMV at a reduced GC sale a couple months ago. Personally, I would get it over the Taylor because I loved the sound of that MMV. It is a custom guitar made for GC only so you won't be able to find it anywhere else.