I pulled out the old Epiphone SG I used when I was a kid and started to play it -- the low E buzzes even when I play it open. It sounds like the noise you get right when you put new strings on and start to play. I've replaced the strings as well as raising the action beyond playable level and it still buzzes. Is there anything else I can do short of bringing to a shop?

Another question: How do I know if I have the G-400? I've had this thing since I was a kid... The bridge pickup has been replaced with a SD something and the truss rod cover says Gibson instead of SG.
Last edited by drewfromutah at Aug 14, 2008,
how old might you say it is?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Set neck/half pickguard = G400

I has one

Bolt-on/full pickguard = G310
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Probably 7 years. I bought it as my first guitar, played for 2-3 years, let it sit until about 4 months ago.

It's got the half pickguard. The guitar actually sounds good and stays in tune if I could just get this damn low E to quit buzzing, I'd have a sexy little guitar.
Hmm, perhaps you have a bad tuner?

So, the neck is set, too?
Making it a G400?
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
G400s come with Grovers, unless the Grovers on mine were added before I bought it.

First guitar, thus, used.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Researched online and it looks like they started putting them on a few years ago. Mine has the cheap epiphone tuners. Here's another question (man I love this forum) is there a special type of Grover I have to buy that will fit my guitar? I'm expecting to have to drill holes, since Grovers will be American standard measurement and the current holes will be metric.
Mine is serial number EE04121---

The last three digits are burned off.

>_>
<_<

But again, standard on mine.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
My serial number is:

I01062246. It was made in 01 in Korea and that plant was given the Gibson Quality award that year. I just wish I could figure out for sure if it is the G-400. I'm 99% sure.
I'm planning on doing a little work on it tonight. I've raised the action a lot but the low E still buzzes so I'm going to see if I can adjust the truss rod slightly and perhaps that will fix it. I forgot how good looking this guitar is.
UPDATE: Took it into the shop. The guy said adjusting the truss rod would make it worse and I need to find something to raise the nut a tiny, tiny amount. Any ideas?
A tiny bit of wadding of some kind in the nut?
I really don't know much about that kind of stuff.