What's the difference between alternate and tremolo picking? Is there a difference? Maybe its a stupid question, but I'm curious...
it doesnt need to be in quick succession btw. In classical music the tremolo symbol is often used so that the composer doesnt have to write out eigth eighth eighth eighth eighth eighth eighth eighth, but can just write a whole note with some lines above it.

But for most of the stuff you'll be playing, it means pick as fast as you can.

EDIT: and alternate picking does not neccesarily mean that there are 2 or more notes. It just means that you pick upstroke, downstroke, upstroke, downstroke, and so on. when you tremolo pick you will most likely be alternate picking.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
Last edited by Your_Dad at Aug 14, 2008,
so tremolo picking is when you play the same note repeatedly with an up and down picking stroke?
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Quote by shampooboy37
so tremolo picking is when you play the same note repeatedly with an up and down picking stroke?

For all intents and purposes: yes.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
awesome... i always wondered about that and i thought it was when you pick while your vibratoing with your fingers...
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.