alright, basically this is a "should i go rack or pedal" thread, but heres my story

my other guitarist has the SICKEST setup ever. but he is loadedd and is bugging me to do the same, but i dont have the money. HE uses a mesa triple rec with his rack holding a sonic maximizer, lexicon reverb, random other stuff that isnt important, and a monster power conditioner. ANd it is safe to say that he has the sickest tone i have ever heard in my life. Now i have a 6505+ and i only rarely use a boss chorus pedal. Now i wanna over time make my setup sound awesome, but i dont know if i should go rack and midi, or pedals

Rack pros
- better tonal qualities,better sound
- using with midi, more durable and customizable, and usually not pedal hopping as much. ( and note please throughout this thread point out anything im wrong about)

rack cons
-hella expensive,
-annoying to setup, but i honestly just couldnt think of another con lol.

Pedal Pros
- relatively cheaper overall
- i wont have to waste money on getting little extra things i dont want. Like i would buy a DELAY for its delay instead of getting a flanger/delay/chorus/reverb thing like a rack effect system, so less money in that too.

Cons
..pedal dancing.,. enough said

so please, in the nicest way possible, help me out!

oh and check out my band please =]
SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
well my birthdays coming up and i have no other things that i even want for my birthday

and i have money from work and ive been saving to make a decision.

Just because i really dont have any variety in my sound, i play on one channel, and all our bridges done in clean i really dont play, hence them being cut out because i dont have a clean tone.
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Get an amp for clean and an A/B or A/B/Y box? Maybe?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
Get an amp for clean and an A/B or A/B/Y box? Maybe?

thats a great idea, but by the time i get the amp and switch arent i in " good pedal setup" land anyway?
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Not really, IMO. A good pedal setup, to me, would be something like Overdrive-wah-fuzz-octavia-amp-chorus-delay-whammy-tuner. 2 amps and an A/B box isn't really a pedal setup as much as an amp setup.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by ilovemySG
alright, basically this is a "should i go rack or pedal" thread, but heres my story

my other guitarist has the SICKEST setup ever. but he is loadedd and is bugging me to do the same, but i dont have the money. HE uses a mesa triple rec with his rack holding a sonic maximizer, lexicon reverb, random other stuff that isnt important, and a monster power conditioner. ANd it is safe to say that he has the sickest tone i have ever heard in my life. Now i have a 6505+ and i only rarely use a boss chorus pedal. Now i wanna over time make my setup sound awesome, but i dont know if i should go rack and midi, or pedals=]

The Mesa Triple Rectifier alone would be a massive upgrade. Anything after that is alright but not entirely essential.

Rack gear can sound better (especially for compression and reverb), but it's not really practical. I mean, SansAmp rack versions are 25% more expensive than the pedal version just because they have a few extra I/Os for use in studios that you will never you use. Not to mention rackmount tuners are insane expensive for some reason.

Do you really need it? Because unless you're pro, rack gear is just for showing off with fancy LEDs and blinking lights most of the time. Yes, it may marginally improve your tone over pedals in some cases, but mostly it's just a good way to piss away money.
okay, you play in a very, very metal band, and the other guitarist has a **** ton of effects, as you say. you don't really need any effects, just let the other guy take care of it. i'd say get a Vox AC30 and A/B it with your 6505+.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by xwearesinking
okay, you play in a very, very metal band, and the other guitarist has a **** ton of effects, as you say. you don't really need any effects, just let the other guy take care of it. i'd say get a Vox AC30 and A/B it with your 6505+.

Word.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

thanks guys, i think what im gunna do is either buy one or two more pedals just to touch up my gain channel and then possibly buy a small combo amp or even something cool like a clean head or something, definetly a lot of room to play with
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
any good heads that have mind blowing cleans and maybe a crunch? but definetly used mostly for its cleans
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
A Dual or even Single Recto would do the trick. But I'm not the expert on metal-ish amps.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

I would say buy a Fender twin or a JC-120 (I like the vox cleans better but for the metallica cleans these are way better) and then by a radial hot british or classic overdrive than you can combine the amps (i think) Then you'll have high gain/pristine clean sound and a nice overdrive pedal for solos or whatever.

The twin only comes in a combo i think. The supersonic has a crunch and comes in a head form. The JC 120 comes in a head version also but has a pretty bad distortion channel I've heard. I would go with the JC 120 and it's pretty cheap.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
I would stay away from the Supersonic. As much as people praise them, I find them to be overly trebley (even for a Fender) and lacking definition in their drive channels. The JC 120 would be a pretty huge step in the opposite direction from your 6505. I wasn't really a fan of them, but if you want cleans it doesn't get much cleaner than that. Solid state cleans always seemed sterile to me.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

I havent tried the supersonic in a while but I do remember it being kind of thin. I'm pretty sure kirk hammet used the JC-120. I think that the twin is just a bit warmer. And why does it have to be a head.
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
Why would a dual recto be a step up from his amp? I've listened/played through a bunch of them and honestly I would rather have my money spent elsewhere

You don't actually need any pedals, its only what you want.

You Should AB/Y your amp with a Fender Twin or AC30 combo for cleans or perhaps a Mesa Lonestar if you can find one for cheap enough. The Mesa F-series amps (look used) also have preety immaculate sounding cleans.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Why would a dual recto be a step up from his amp? I've listened/played through a bunch of them and honestly I would rather have my money spent elsewhere

You don't actually need any pedals, its only what you want.

You Should AB/Y your amp with a Fender Twin or AC30 combo for cleans or perhaps a Mesa Lonestar if you can find one for cheap enough. The Mesa F-series amps (look used) also have preety immaculate sounding cleans.

i think im gunna go with the fender twin, because there all about cleans, while mesa is geared more toards gain tones.
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
If you play well, with the tone coming from your fingers... forget the rack set up. They're noisy too. Subtle clicks at times coming thru your amp. Stick to what you have.

If you're really wanting to get something nice... perhaps a few pedals, and go overkill and get someone clever to set up a bradshaw system for you.

Do yourself a favour, run thru history of all the players using racks, then check what they using now. Save your money, be the biggest badass on guitar that u can be... thats what counts.

****PS**** If he knows you're broke and can't afford it, kindly tell him to either buy it for you or to shut up and play
Last edited by evolucian at Aug 15, 2008,
Quote by evolucian
If you play well, with the tone coming from your fingers... forget the rack set up. They're noisy too. Subtle clicks at times coming thru your amp. Stick to what you have.

If you're really wanting to get something nice... perhaps a few pedals, and go overkill and get someone clever to set up a bradshaw system for you.

Do yourself a favour, run thru history of all the players using racks, then check what they using now. Save your money, be the biggest badass on guitar that u can be... thats what counts.

****PS**** If he knows you're broke and can't afford it, kindly tell him to either buy it for you or to shut up and play

haha totally agree

but one thing, why would i wanna buy a whole nother amp if i can just buy a preamp or something to patch up my cleans? it almost seems pointless and just adding to my weight of my rig.

and whats a bradshaw system>
SUBSCRIBE!

peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Behringer FB1010
Quote by ilovemySG
...whats a bradshaw system

Bob Bradshaw is one of the founding fathers of ridiculously overstated guitar rigs (meant as a compliment). He developed complex switching systems and Midi setups back in the day while partnered with Rocktron, and now has a little company called C.A.E (Custom Audio Electronics) that builds amazing Midi/switching products.

He's the reason that, in spite of all their other shortcomings, Rocktron builds exceptional Midi gear, and the C.A.E. head switcher is one of few things in life I consider to be an "object of lust".
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Last edited by Kendall at Aug 15, 2008,
The reason I went to a Midi rig over a traditional pedalboard was necessity. I use a bunch of weird effects combinations, a Kaoss Pad, multiple noise reduction settings, and I'm very particular about my overdrive pedal. My pedalboard was capable of delivering about 25% of what I needed when I needed it, so I scrapped it for a Midi setup. Had it not been ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY I probably would have saved myself about $2500 and kept the pedalboard. That said, If you don't need a complicated rig then by all means keep it as simple as possible.

I should also note that setting up a Midi rig isn't really all that annoying. There is a learning curve to be sure, but now I really kind of wish some other people around here would start putting them together just so I could help.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM