I hear alot about these types of bass amps. I've never heard of them before UG bass forum. Could you guys fill me in on them? Are they good? If so where can they be purchased? Seems kinda weird to name a bass amp "acoustic" like it's made for acoustic/electric guitar or something like that.
They're made for electric/acoustic bass guitars and upright basses with pickups. I have an upright bass with a pickup and it feedbacks when I use a regular bass amp, I assume the acoustic amp has a noise gate or something similar.
There have been a couple of threads about this in the last few weeks. I'm actually going to buy one soon (200 watt 1x15). From what I've played and read they are reliable amps. "acoustic" is just the name, not the type of amp.
Since we're on topic of acoustics ... can anyone recommend something I can go out and buy that stops my upright from feedbacking so much? I use 2 piezo pickups hooked up to the bridge. There's only 2 bass players in the orchestra I'm in and we're always overpowered by everyone else, some amplification would be nice.
Quote by pwrmax
They're made for electric/acoustic bass guitars and upright basses with pickups. I have an upright bass with a pickup and it feedbacks when I use a regular bass amp, I assume the acoustic amp has a noise gate or something similar.

He means the brand "acoustic", as in "Acoustic Amplification"

They're for the bass, just like any other brand of bass amp. (NOT just for acoustic instruments)

They are very good sounding amps both for the money and in general. I have yet to hear a valid bad review. The only negative things I've heard are things like "LOL I tried one of these at giutar center and it sUcks...lol it doesn't even have a mute button!!!1"

They're pretty old-school sounding...the original Acoustic Control Corp. was legendary in its day, a true rival to the classic Ampeg rig. This is obviously not the same company anymore, but they seem to be following similar design principles.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Aug 14, 2008,
Rumor is that Guitar Center bought the name "Acoustic'. Their old engineers moved on to work for GB and Ampeg.
^ yeah, it's a house brand...a darned good one though and I give them Kudos for sticking to the original Acoustic's design philosophy, even if they are a bit more conventional. (i.e. no 218 cabs with giant horns on them)

edit: and speaking of the new Acoustic...the (600W) head is coming out in november, the cab is a prototype

(Invalid img)
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Aug 14, 2008,
In the 70s Accoustic were top range amps, expensive and much desired, they are still popular on the second hand market
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
i have an acoustic b100 its pretty good... its loud and has a good tone... not alot of EQ though thats my only complaint
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
You've never heard of them in here before?
Isnt Humanity always preaching this brand?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah