Do u think its better to look up tabs to learn how to play a song correctly and quickly, or is it better to tab it urself? By tabbing it urself u grow as a guitarist and get a good ear for notes and chords, but u could tab out the wrong ones by accident.
You can try playing it by ear as close as you can to improve you ears and then get to tab to fix any small mistakes you might have made.
what about shredding solos. i dont know how someone could tab out some metallica and paul gilbert solos. ive tried tabbin them but i dont even get close, yet i can play them well with a tab.
Last edited by snapjaw at Aug 14, 2008,
Quote by snapjaw
what about shredding solos. i dont know how someone could tab out some metallica and paul gilbert solos. ive tried tabbin them but i dont even get close, yet i can play them well with a tab.

Ear training take time. Try playing the riffs and chord progressions by ear, one you get that down then look to a tab for the solos.
with me, i go by tabs.. but i know not all tabs are right.. so i have to play around with them a little bit. if you want to grow as a guitarist.. you could improvise a new solo or outro to a song, or something like that
I started with tab and moved on to transcribing songs myself. I have found transcribing songs yourself is infinitely more beneficial to your ear and just for being able to play the song better.

As for the shredding solo's I'm not quite there yet but I find layered guitar background guitar parts more difficult than any solo's. My new project is to transcribe It's So Easy by G'N'R. I imagine it will take me a while but I'm not as afraid of the solo as I am parts of the rest of the song - with two guitars, bass, drums and vocal lines it's really hard to pick out just what's happening where sometimes. I know the solo isn't a shredding piece but even if it were at it's right there, you know.
Si
learning from a tab or learning by transcribing are quite different.

when you learn from a tab you are looking at the information without have to actually use your ear to figure out what is being played. tabs are good if you need to learn a song really quickly, or if you just want to make some kind of technical exercise based off of a riff (that you can't be bothered to figure out by ear)

transcription i would say exercises both the ear and technical ability, and thus is more likely to develop you as a musician. you have to figure out what someone is playing by ear, and thus you'll probably internalize and make it your own. eventually when you hear things in your head, you'll know what chords its made of, or what kind of intervals are between the notes.
If your goal is to grow as a guitarist and develop your ear, then you should absolutely take a crack at transcribing anything you want to learn first. If you need to learn a song quickly, say for a gig or something, then getting a lead sheet, tab, or sheet music is perfectly acceptable. I always tell students to take a shot at figuring it out themselves first, though.
Do both - it takes time for your ears to develop to the point where you can easilly work out songs just by listening. Learning songs from tabs and comparing what's written down with what you can hear is part of that development.

Don't be afraid to challenge tabs, especially user-submitted ones. If it sounds wrong then try to figure out what it could be. Or, if there's multiple versions try a few and see which one sounds best, and also try to figure out why it's "better" than the other ones.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 15, 2008,
solos are build around scales...
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Quote by snapjaw
Do u think its better to look up tabs to learn how to play a song correctly and quickly, or is it better to tab it urself? By tabbing it urself u grow as a guitarist and get a good ear for notes and chords, but u could tab out the wrong ones by accident.

lookin up tabs = learning it correctly ?

I guess it is sometimes..... the are often wrong though.

Using your own ears are better for you, however if your just starting out, learning songs however you can (tabs...teacher.... whatever)..... is fine.
shred is gaudy music
They both have value.

However, by "tab" I mean professional-level, book-quality tabs with the rhythm
carefully notated. Internet, amateurish tabs just aren't worth the trouble.
Often somebody with a really "pro ear" can document pretty closely all the
subtle nuances of notes, finger-work and rhythm that you can just totally miss
or get wrong. Rhythm is especially hard to get right and if you thoroughly work
through the rhythm of a good tab, you can really pick up some things.
I don't usually rely on tabs; I do pretty much all of my learning based on my ear. For a quick reference I'll sometimes glance at a tab but usually some of the smaller nuances are missing. There's no reason not to do both, though transcription and aural training will help you far more in terms of overall musical growth.