My uncle criticizes me for focusing on other teqniques instead of chords. He says im "trying to run before i can walk". Do you absolutly have to learn chords to be a good guitarist?
you don't HAVE to first, but you're going to have to play chords at some time or another and when you're just starting out, it's a good place to begin
No? But then again you already knew that.

Tell your uncle to shut up. You can learn them on your own time. He's killing any momentum and interest you have with the guitar.
yes
chords are amazing
they open up how music is put together
and you can learn a lot from how chords are made
so maybe you should swallow your pride and listen to you uncle
Of course you have to know chords. But you don't have to be a chord expert before learning other techniques. Give em all attention. But chords are the basis of guitar playing. (In my opinion anyway) Its about finding a balance.
What are those "other techniques"? If you're trying to learn fingertapping and pinch harmonics then yeah, you're running before walking.
Quote by mikerev
Of course you have to know chords. But you don't have to be a chord expert before learning other techniques. Give em all attention. But chords are the basis of guitar playing. (In my opinion anyway) Its about finding a balance.

Agreed.
"Sleep with one eye open,
Gripping your pillow tight"

Metallica - "Enter Sandman"
Quote by arkangle1122
My uncle criticizes me for focusing on other teqniques instead of chords. He says im "trying to run before i can walk". Do you absolutly have to learn chords to be a good guitarist?

Yes you do...your uncle should post on UG

Chords are the framework of songs and it's impossible to play good lead guitar without an understanding of them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by arkangle1122

BB King said he wasn't very good with chords... and he managed to be a successful guitarist... although he's successful at being BB King, not necessarily being a well-rounded musician (no jokes please)

but your uncle may be right if you're trying to do stunts and tricks on your guitar without knowing how music works... still if that's the case, that'd be your choice, and you'd end up 10 years down the line with exactly the set of musical skills you deserve... it's not for your uncle to tell you what to do because it'd only be you who'd ultimately suffer
Quote by pwrmax
What are those "other techniques"? If you're trying to learn fingertapping and pinch harmonics then yeah, you're running before walking.

TS, answer this guys question. If these "other techniques" are things like slides, bends, and trills then that's good, very good. My suggestion would be to divide your time roughly equally between chords and those techniques.

If you're in to stuff like 8 fingered tapping and playing with your teeth, then you might want to try something a bit more advanced
Last edited by mdc at Aug 15, 2008,