when i read anything about harmonic minor, instead of it laying out the notes, its always says: For instance: C Harmonic Minor: C D E F G A B C....i dont understand what tht means, if someone could give a 101 on harmonic minor or anything about santana (hes my favorite guitarist)
Harmonic minor scale is the same as natural minor except it has a raised seventh degree. For example, A natural minor contains the notes A B C D E F G. Now looking at these notes, we can see that the seventh note is the G, so we simply raise that by a semitone to get G# and we have A harmonic Minor, A B C D E F G#.
I'll just also add in, for reference:

Natural Minor  - 1  2 b3  4  5 b6 b7
Harmonic Minor - 1  2 b3  4  5 b6  7
and for kicks...
Melodic Minor  - 1  2 b3  4  5  6  7
ya but my problem is tht i dont know how to find for instance: CDEFGAB
like how can u tell which note goes on which string?
Look at scalefinder.info and it'll tell you where each note is on each string, just hover the mouse over a note and it'll popup and tell you what note it is. Then if you click it, it'll highlight the same note on all the other strings.
appanche thats something you need to work on then; memorizing and learning the notes on the fretboard. It will help you immensely
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by Appanche22

If you know the notes on your fretboard, then you'll be able to find the patterns that work best for you.
Quote by Appanche22

If you don't know this, then you shouldn't really be jumping straight in to Harmonic Minor Scales.

You need to start off with the chromatic scale, which will help you visualize the notes on the fret board.

Then move on to Pentatonics.

Then the Major Scale.
Last edited by mdc at Aug 16, 2008,