Page 1 of 2
I got to crank my Peavey ultra 120 today at a friends house during a jam session. I ran it through an Avatar 2x12 with vintage 30's.

I loaded the clean channel, EQ'd it, and turned the channel volume all the way. It sounded awesome. Then I cranked the volume to about 8, so it was pretty loud. The sound started to break up and sound really really cool, but it was no longer clean..

Not really important, I don't play alot of cleans. Anyways.. I loaded the distortion channel and cranked the gain, eq'd it, etc. I turned the channel volume up, then slowly loaded the master up to 10(max).

It was very loud, the ground was shaking, i could feel the air moving from the speakers. I couldnt hear anything over it. But it wasn't hurting my ears.. it wasn't as loud as i thought it would be. How loud is it supposed to be..?
A 120 Watt tube amp should be about twice as loud as a 12 Watt tube amp.

The amp's voicing can change the percieved volume as well as the speaker's efficiency, but the above is a generally good "rule of thumb."
In the Oven:

18 Watt!
Yeah... all that technical sound junk.

I just expected it to completely blow me away and knock the house down.. :/
hijack how loud is a Peavey 6505 plus : Halfstack (300 watts)
can it play a large sized backyard jam?
Quote by Kultur Vultur
A 120 Watt tube amp should be about twice as loud as a 12 Watt tube amp.

The amp's voicing can change the percieved volume as well as the speaker's efficiency, but the above is a generally good "rule of thumb."

This.

You probably don't need THAT much wattage, but who am I to tell you what you need and what you don't?
I'm good with 30, personally
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

It should of been insanely loud. The most I've put my amp of was 4 and that was too loud to be in the same room with. Did you have all the eq at 0 or something? It might be a blown power tube too but you would of noticed that.

And the Peavey 6505 is 120 watts and will be way more than enough to play a large outdoor gig.
How do I know if theres a blown power tube? I just got it a few days ago and it's my first tube so I wouldn't know.

Could it be related to the preamp's? I can take pictures if you'd like.
Louder than 3 consecutive G-spot orgasms.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
^^Well if it was a blown power tube there would be less clean headroom/volume. Just look in the back and check if any of the tubes look abnormal while its on.

Were you playing outside or in a room with really bad acoustics because you might just not of been able to hear yourself?
We were in his living room the acoustics arent great.

All the tubes are glowing a dim light, i thought that was normal.

Again, could the preamp have anything to do with it?

And the reason I think I have less clean headroom is because the cab is rated at 120 watts and the head is 120 watts.
Different brands rate their amps different. The two loudest amps I've ever heard are the Hiwatt DR103 and Marshall 100 watt super lead. There is no way in hell either of these could be cranked in a house without blowing stuff up.

But, 120 watts of ANY amp should not be able to be turned to 8 in a person's living room for more than 3 minutes and not have muffled hearing.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 15, 2008,
Theres a few possibly scenarios..

1) EQ'ing can effect it greatly example scooping your mids kills the volume greatly.
2) Your running 120 watt amp into two speakers rated at 120 watts so your probably getting some speaker break up if you cranked it to 8
3) A 2x12 cab is more then likely sitting on the floor so your not getting the sound wave directly. Example if im 2 foot from my cab standing in front of it I can crank it pretty high with out any ill effects. Now sitting down directly in front of cab about 7 feet back is a different story. Its all how the cab projects.
4) Bad power tube can cause you volume to weaken and saturation to become alot more apparent and muddy.
5) After about 5 or once you hit power tube saturation it doesnt really get much louder all amps have a point were its pretty much peaked. So the difference form 5-10 might not be as loud as you thought.
6) 120 watt amps get talked up alot and you were probably expecting satan himself to come out of the ground and kill your mother and your dog. This is not the case....

Hope that helps.. Just throwing some ideas out..
Quote by iTzMaTT
Louder than 3 consecutive G-spot orgasms.

Doesn't have sex
Quote by statixguitar53
when in doubt, buy an elephant testicle

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
I have a 100watt marshall superlead. When I crank it, I don't even stay in the same room. Even on 2 it hurts my ears.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
A Marshall super lead can put out over 200 watts when dimed.

Jimmy Page's Marshall Superlead was supposedly putting out about 200 CLEAN watts when running a quad of KT88s (they have huge headroom). That is a loud as balls amp.
My Bassmans 135 watts, that kinda wattage isnt evil as people say, theres this whole mith that after 50 tube watts the amp will level a square block, its just not the case.

I mean, it's loud, when im at home practicing on my own i'll get her running with the master volume at 8, and that's just nasty. but seriously, just cause you have 100+ watt tube amp doesnt mean satan is gonna come up out of the ground and sodomise you and your dog.
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by al112987
A Marshall super lead can put out over 200 watts when dimed.

Jimmy Page's Marshall Superlead was supposedly putting out about 200 CLEAN watts when running a quad of KT88s (they have huge headroom). That is a loud as balls amp.

Don't think it was modded for KT88's - just one of those rumors.

Anyway, why would you turn it up to 8? I never use my 40 watt tube amp past 3 on the dial. By then I need to wear earplugs, or my ears start ringing.

BTW, when yours are ringing, that's your hearing dying. Protect your ears, sir.
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Well, you've only got huskies and Eskimos Inuits to complain about you being too loud.

only kidding, mang.

I like stage volume, and I like not having to rely solely on the sound man for my toanz. Not to mention I'm gonna be running stereo with a DSL 100 soon

Can you tell I like big sounds?
Make sure the Ohms of the cabinet isn't higher than the output Ohms of the amp. if it is, it will diminish the total volume capability by placing more resistance on the signal.

The maximum power transfer occurs when the speaker cabinet Ohms matches that of the amp's speaker output. Example: an 8 Ohm output into a 16 Ohm speaker cab will produce approximately 50% power transfer.
Quote by forsaknazrael

I'd love to run two amps in Stereo, maybe a Splawn QuickRod and an Orange Rockerverb 50..

That would be epic. I was planning on going with a Thunderverb 50, but then I realized I need to save some money
I hate people judging volume by watts.

Amps are very different. Speakers are different and so on. Explain why my 1x12 Rocker 30 is louder compared to the 50W Laney with a 4x12 (both tube and uses EL34s). Exactly. Basically amps are different. From my experience Peavys 120W aren't deafening. I could run the Windsor without much problem in a shop with good tone for an example.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by forsaknazrael
Don't think it was modded for KT88's - just one of those rumors.

Anyway, why would you turn it up to 8? I never use my 40 watt tube amp past 3 on the dial. By then I need to wear earplugs, or my ears start ringing.

BTW, when yours are ringing, that's your hearing dying. Protect your ears, sir.

Not to get too off topic but I can confirm at least one of Page's Marshall's had KT88's along with an extra preamp tube and a master volume. That being the setup during Led Zeppelin is yet to be determined, he did mention in '77 having KT88's though.

Now a little more on topic, I can barely get my VJ over 12:00 without someone in the house complaining, thin walls I guess.
Quote by carpepax
Make sure the Ohms of the cabinet isn't higher than the output Ohms of the amp. if it is, it will diminish the total volume capability by placing more resistance on the signal.

The maximum power transfer occurs when the speaker cabinet Ohms matches that of the amp's speaker output. Example: an 8 Ohm output into a 16 Ohm speaker cab will produce approximately 50% power transfer.

Hmmmm?

The cab running two 16 ohm speakers, which makes it 8 ohms if im correct. The amp is switched on 8 ohms. I don't know alot about speakers, but sound is coming out of it. If I switched the amp to 16 ohms I would get a blown transformer wouldn't I?
Tinitus sucks. Really be careful. If you love music, love it enough to love it the rest of your life. Whatever you think is reasonable level when young, just drop it 30 percent more.
Quote by injected
Hmmmm?

The cab running two 16 ohm speakers, which makes it 8 ohms if im correct. The amp is switched on 8 ohms. I don't know alot about speakers, but sound is coming out of it. If I switched the amp to 16 ohms I would get a blown transformer wouldn't I?

Ohm values add/divide depending on whether they're in parallel or series.

Two 16 Ohm speakers in parallel will total 8 Ohms but their values would add to 32 Ohms when in series. I'm pretty sure they'd be parallel and that your amp and speaker Ohms are a match.

If you switched the amp to 16 Ohms into an 8 Ohm cabinet, something would get toasted. I don't know if it's a transformer or another part of the amp because I haven't tried it.
Quote by nomadh
Tinitus sucks. Really be careful. If you love music, love it enough to love it the rest of your life. Whatever you think is reasonable level when young, just drop it 30 percent more.

Well I luckily don't have tinitus. I am however hearing impared on my left ear. This is a condition I was born with. But I can tell you, knowing that I can never be able to hear fully on my left ear is VERY annoying! So be careful about your hearing. You won't appreciate it, until you've lost it and it's too late.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Say Ocean
That would be epic. I was planning on going with a Thunderverb 50, but then I realized I need to save some money

get one. best. amp. ever. i absolutely love mine. and the attenuator takes this whole wattage/volume thing out of the picture. its loud as hell dimed full, but then you can attenuate it back down to listenable levels. the perfect amp from bedroom to stage.
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Quote by Say Ocean

I like stage volume, and I like not having to rely solely on the sound man for my toanz. Not to mention I'm gonna be running stereo with a DSL 100 soon

Can you tell I like big sounds?

Dude you've probably killed more than your fair share of hikers by causing avalanches 20 miles from your house.
Quote by nomadh

i agree, i had my jubilee up full on monday with my attenuator down at 1, this was far to loud and i have had a slight burning anoying feeling for the last couple of days in 1 ear, hearing seems fine and i dont have any noise so hopefully this is just a wee bit of pain and will clear up but i certainly wont be doing that again, at this stage im thinking of going back to a ss amp for the house
i'd never crank a 120 watt amp in an enclosed space without some form of hearing protection. 5 watts is pretty loud in an enclosed space.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
..And all this further adds to my suspicion that something may be wrong with the amp.. i got it used.

Do you think if i took it to a local amp repair shop, they would evaluate it for free?
Well actually it might not be anything wrong really. Amps differ a lot in volume...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Technically its twice as loud as a 12 watt valve amp, but the 120watt is more likely to be pushing more speakers/more air so the percieved volume might be more.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by injected
..And all this further adds to my suspicion that something may be wrong with the amp.. i got it used.

Do you think if i took it to a local amp repair shop, they would evaluate it for free?

Ya might want to get it checked out.. The loudest I have had mine is 4 and to get it there I had to have the door closed and play from the living room.
Page 1 of 2