Page 1 of 2
My new amp arrived earlier today. The Crate V33 212. It sounds great. The cleans are warm and "chimey". The drive sounds good. Its really dark and bassy witch is what I like. This amp has alot of low end and middle punch. Its f*kin loud as hell though. I'll have to keep it below 1 on the drive channel and 2 1/2 on the clean. Anywhere above hurts my ears. I put the drive chanel on 2 for a few minutes and walls started vibrating. Overall, im pleased with the amp, it'll do all my hendrix and blues just fine.

I'll post pictures and sound clips this weekend so worry not.

I do have a few technical questions though:

1. When I change channels it makes a pop noise. Is this normal? I think I noticed other amps doing this when I played them in the store.

2. After letting it warmup in standby mode, whenever I go from standby to fully on, the LED blinks and the amp makes a quick "ka-thunk" sound. It sounds like one giant heartbeat. Is this normal...?

3. And finally, After I moved it from downstairs into my bed room, I noticed the volume of hissing went up, its not from the single coils either, I turned the guitar to 0. On the clean channel it seems the guitars volume actually competes with the hissing, and as I turn the level up, the hissing starts to sound like the Ocean. What the hell is up..??? Im assuming right now that its a bad preamp tube. What do you guys think...?

Thank you everyone!!!
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Congrats!!

1. Perfectly normal.

2. Should be normal, but never really heard of that problem.

3. That is probably just bad wiring in the house and it interferes with the amp. I get it with flourescent lights and my computer moniter.
Bah!! How lame!! The day my Crate arrives Musicians friend cuts thier prices!!! The V33 is now $250 with free shipping. I paid 300 plus shipping. Just my luck.. This always happens to me. Sh*t these crates are ridiculously cheap. The v18 is $150 new.

Thanks for the reply acdcrocks0323, I'd still like more opinions on my three questions though. Thanks guys.
Did you get it from MF? I'd give them a call and look for a rebate if you did. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they give you one. Either that, or send it back and order the same amp from GC. In fact, tell them that's what you're going to do if they say, "no."
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Congrats......i guess we can wait for pics

My amp doesn't pop when switching channels but there is a slight ka-thunk when turning on Standby to play. Is your bedroom the final resting spot for amp? Is it sharing an outlet with other things? Can you fix that and see if it makes a diff?

Otherwise, like Slats said, tell MF that it makes a hissing noise and you need your $50 rebate to get a noise gate.
Try the amp in different parts of the house, a lot of things can cause the hiss/buzz you are hearing, if it varies by location, it's the house wiring. Also, all my amps have a small pop when I go from the gain channel back to clean. It's less the other way but still there. The "ka-thunk" when you flip the stand-by is not something I have experienced tho. Worth a try to call MF and ask for a rebate back since when the amp finally arrived, it was marked down. Just worth a try.
I'll experiment with different outlets in my house. Could be a bad cable for all I know.

I bought it from samash. I would send it back and buy it from MF, but I payed 60$ shipping to get it here and samash says no refunds on shiping charges.

Yeah Im still wondering about the noises. I guesse I'll have to figure out how this warranty thing works and have a guy look at it for free.

Other then all that sh*t, good sounding amp.
well if you can't get around the shipping charges and Samash won't give you the refund, then oh well....you still got a good amp thar.

Samash may not be a player in this new discount. What are they charging right now for same amp?

Amp sounded good in basement right? It was only after you moved it did you notice the 'hissing'. Points to house wiring and/or variables in upper floors that are not in basement. If a basement has been converted and has carpet and drywall and insulated piping, etc it can be a great place for acoustics. More open too usually.

peace out-
Quote by Mayonaise 812
im planning on getting the v50, do you think it would be just as loud?

I've played that one. Being 50W, It should be just as loud or louder.

Ok im going experiment with different and cables today. Just curious though... What setting should I have the voltage swicth set to...? My options are "115" for 120 VAC mains, or "230" for 220-240 VAC mains. I live in the USA. Im assuming its already set to the correct one sense my amp hasnt exploded, just double checking though because I dont know anythin about this kind of stuff.

Im still kinda wondering about the ka-thunk noise... I wonder if its just the speakers engaging. Kinda like how when you plug or unplug a TV you'll hear the speakers make noise.
AFAIK the ka-thunk is the speakers suddenly getting a signal sent to them, happens on my laney. I'd just keep the volume low when switching from standby to on.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by slatsmania
Did you get it from MF? I'd give them a call and look for a rebate if you did. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they give you one. Either that, or send it back and order the same amp from GC. In fact, tell them that's what you're going to do if they say, "no."

+1

that's annoying, but if you bought it online, you might be able to get a refund (you might not get the shipping back, though). heck, just threaten not to buy from them again if they don't honour the new price, it might work.

EDIT: i'd just like to say again that those crate prices are amazing. some of those v series (like the 30 watter, heck even the 50 watter) are cheaper than i got my valve junior head for...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thats what I figured. I also found the answer to my other question. It need to be set to 120 VAC in the US.

Pics will be up soon.
bah, i want one. but they are out of stock on mf and gc online. my regular gc store didnt have any of the series in stock. i think ill have to hop towns to find one.
I am planning on ordering one of these, but they won't be in stock until September 15!

I am in a band and I need cleans over the band, OD as well. Will the V18 112 be loud enough clean, or should i go for the v33 212?

Edit: Does the v18 have 2 channels or just one?
Last edited by ewsrocks at Aug 16, 2008,
Bah, I only need one channel, so if I do end up getting one of them, i'll get the 18.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Pics!!

I guesse these are the power tubes, and I think thats one of the preamps behind them in the last pic.

What are those metal things wrapped around the tubes?? As you can see in the fourth pic, one isnt on.
They are just wire tube holders to keep them in place. They should easily bend for removal when you want to swap tubes.

Congrats on your new amp!
Quote by ewsrocks
I am planning on ordering one of these, but they won't be in stock until September 15!

I am in a band and I need cleans over the band, OD as well. Will the V18 112 be loud enough clean, or should i go for the v33 212?

Edit: Does the v18 have 2 channels or just one?

i haven't tried them, but i think the 50 has two channels... also it seems to have 6L6s, which tend to have more clean headroom than el84s. might be worth considering, they're all a similar-ish price anyway.

- - -

amp looks really nice, by the way, guitarninja. nice strat too, normally i don't like glittery colours in strats, but yours looks very nice (and it matches the chrome/silver on the amp too!)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
amp looks really nice, by the way, guitarninja. nice strat too, normally i don't like glittery colours in strats, but yours looks very nice (and it matches the chrome/silver on the amp too!)...

Yea - nice silver strat, smexy.

Teehee! Thanks, I love it. It plays just as good as it looks.

ewsrocks, I'm not sure if the v18 will do cleans loud enough, Ive been told EL84's break up early. It'll probably do band practice volumes no problem, but at gigging levels it would probably overdrive.

Does anyone know if this amp needs to be biased when tubes are swapped...? I think a relative of mine is going to get me some good deals on some european preamp tubes.
i'm not sure about biasing. your best bet is to try the stickied tube thread for questions like that...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This thread makes me want to compare my Crate with the new ones. Ive got the '94 (I think?) Crate tube amp ($325 used! ).

Congrats on the new amp though!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Hello all,
I just bought a V33 212 after doing extensive research. Also, I'm an electronic tech specializing in audio since sometime in the '80s (more years ago than I care to remember. lol!) Anyway, what I found was:

First: You don't need to bias the tubes when changing them (yes, they're cathode biased). However, while on this subject, I heard that it may be advisable to change out the stock preamp tubes for something a little better, like Groove Tubes, Rubies, etc. In fact, Marshall has a three pack for $45 - just the thing, but I intend to stick to the stock tubes until the first tube change (6mo - 1yr) unless, as has been reported in some cases, there is excess hiss or the overdrive channel sounds too "dark" or muddy. Some change out the power tubes as well but my understanding is that the preamp tubes usually cure the problem.

Second: Before buying a V50-112, I'd read the reviews. Apparently they have some problems as many have reported that they have failed after a couple of weeks and the replacements were also problematic. Please check this out; I'd hate to think I gave a bum steer because of the particular reviews I came across, but I'd also not want anyone to get a lemon if I can help it. So again, do some homework. I've heard / seen nothing like this about the V33-212. Also, just curious here, why did they put two 12s in the 33 but only one in the 50?

Third: 18 watt or 33? Well, if you're ever going to play with a drummer I don't think 18 is going to be enough. Understand, I haven't heard the Crate V18 and it may be extraordinarily loud, but it would be the first 18 watter in my experience to stand up to a set of drums. Of course, if you mic it and run through a PA that's a different story.

Forth: My amp hasn't arrived yet (I'm chomping at the bit) so I can't tell you if it thumps or not when the standby is flipped. However, I have been around plenty of power amps that do - Crown, for instance. It's most likely just the juice hitting the grids in the tubes as they charge. I'll let you know when I get mine next Wed. Until then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Anyway, congrats on your amp, Ninja. Looks Fine.
ps: I'm a Hendrix fiend too!
Last edited by sepulchre at Sep 27, 2008,
I've always thought the thump sound was power hitting the speaker... my stack has always done it... any larger amp I've played has.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
I got my V18 about a week ago, I love it
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

I'm getting the 18W version, but one question.

Can it do BRIGHT, as in Jefferson Airplane bright?

Also it can cover blues, country, jazz, folk, 60-80's right?

It wouldnt be too loud for a small bedroom would it (provided pots set at 1) ?
I got my V33H 4 days after I ordered it.

Yay!
Quote by neptune1988
I'm getting the 18W version, but one question.

Can it do BRIGHT, as in Jefferson Airplane bright?

Also it can cover blues, country, jazz, folk, 60-80's right?

It wouldnt be too loud for a small bedroom would it (provided pots set at 1) ?

It can do jazz, country, folk, 60's-80's all that stuff really well, but if you added a tubescreamer the tone would be amazing. Based on what you just said you probably dont care, but it doesn't have enough gain for metal.

About loudness, if your going to use no gain (which needs to be at about 1-2) you can put the volume pretty loud, but if your going to have gain at like 8-10, it could be too loud for a bedroom, I usually keep my settings at about gain at 12:00, treb;e and mids pretty high, and bass really low. This is a very bass heavy amp. If you keep gain at 12:00 you get a great blues breakup.

Id advise getting a tubescreamer, it would sound great
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by (Metal)lica
It can do jazz, country, folk, 60's-80's all that stuff really well, but if you added a tubescreamer the tone would be amazing. Based on what you just said you probably dont care, but it doesn't have enough gain for metal.

About loudness, if your going to use no gain (which needs to be at about 1-2) you can put the volume pretty loud, but if your going to have gain at like 8-10, it could be too loud for a bedroom, I usually keep my settings at about gain at 12:00, treb;e and mids pretty high, and bass really low. This is a very bass heavy amp. If you keep gain at 12:00 you get a great blues breakup.

Id advise getting a tubescreamer, it would sound great

what about with a VooDoo Labs Sparkle-Drive? I'm getting one next weekend.

also with it being low-end heavy, I wouldnt need an EQ to suck out bass would I? or is that more preferance?
Yeah, I got a Crate V33 A week Ago and the light dims when I switch it on, and it makes the noise when I change channels. I love the cleans, perfect for me, and a perfect first tube amp, but I can'te get used to the OD chennel its pretty muddy and ugly sounding to me, I think I'll use the clean channel with good pedals.
Quote by Ishereel
Yeah, I got a Crate V33 A week Ago and the light dims when I switch it on, and it makes the noise when I change channels. I love the cleans, perfect for me, and a perfect first tube amp, but I can'te get used to the OD chennel its pretty muddy and ugly sounding to me, I think I'll use the clean channel with good pedals.

Try re-eq'ing with the bass set at 10:00 or 11:00. It helps get rid of the mud, if that doesn't work try a q-tip.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by sepulchre
Third: 18 watt or 33? Well, if you're ever going to play with a drummer I don't think 18 is going to be enough. Understand, I haven't heard the Crate V18 and it may be extraordinarily loud, but it would be the first 18 watter in my experience to stand up to a set of drums. Of course, if you mic it and run through a PA that's a different story.

Generally I agree, but you should check out the volume of the TT over a drumkit. Unless you meant clean
Are these crates any good for metal??
I will be using a digitech metal master pedal btw
I don't think they could do metal, or at least not as well as others in the price range.
Page 1 of 2