So i was interested in studying music in college. I was looking at Berklee and that looks pretty sweet. So anybody from Berklee have any advice? and also any suggestions on the tryout? i want something funky similar to RHCP(obviously) and also i dont think RHCP would be good(to generic).
so any overall advice would be greatly appreciate.
My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
First off, decide what you want to major in. That makes a big difference. What do you want to do with music? For some things Berklee is great, for others, not so much. There are many other great guitar programs out there (Musician's Institute, Belmont, many college jazz programs) that you shouldn't just limit yourself to Berklee.

FYI, Berklee is very hard to get into, they don't want someone who they have to teach anything to, they want someone who will come in with everything already pretty much known, so that Berklee can enhance upon that.
well i was just using Berklee as an example, and im thinking majoring in either music business or music performance. and what else would i study other than theory?(in general) i know if i take business than i would take business class.
and i think i have a decent grasp of the concept of music.
My Gear:
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
btw: Berklee isn't very hard to get in to, but what happens is that a lot of guys discover that Music is actaully a LOT of work and not just rawkin' all day, so they drop out first year.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
yea but what else would i do instead of learning theory?
like history or something like that?
would i build my compositions?
My Gear:
plus accessories
You'd probably have to take an aural skills or solfege class, where you basically learn ear training through rhythmic dictation and sight-singing. Maybe a conducting class. You'll also probably have to join some sort of ensemble, whether it be jazz band or some others. You'd also take some music history courses about early classical music and such. And with music business, you'll take some business classes and some computer classes. I think with performance you just learn more theory and composition stuff. Though this is all based off of my experience. I'm not sure about Berklee, but I do know an amazing jazz keyboard player who goes there.
You'd learn ****loads of theory and composition, become dramatically better at playing in general, learn the history of music in general and of specific genres, and business.

Some stuff more than others depending on what you're studying and stuff like business too like you mentioned. You have to take it seriously but if you love music it should be fun at the same time.
I honestly suggest learning something more useful in college.

I know it sounds lame but I'm not kidding. When I was in HS, I wanted to learn music in college and go on to be a guitar player. However, you'll notice that you have a lot of chances to explore in college so you can fulfill certain passions as well as do things that benefit your future career as well. Think of it this way.

I'm a chemistry and biology major, I make good grades, stay on top of my class, build my resume and have gotten job offers every summer which pay me enough for me to cover my bills, living expenses, food, as well as allow me to do things I like, building amps, playing guitar, and doing other fun stuff (some of my friends, college juniors, seniors, who go to investment banking firms can pull up to 20k in a 10 week internship) This is honestly what I suggest you do rather than streamline your life for a career that simply does not give a whole lot of return.
Quote by al112987
I honestly suggest learning something more useful in college.

I know it sounds lame but I'm not kidding. When I was in HS, I wanted to learn music in college and go on to be a guitar player. However, you'll notice that you have a lot of chances to explore in college so you can fulfill certain passions as well as do things that benefit your future career as well. Think of it this way.

I'm a chemistry and biology major, I make good grades, stay on top of my class, build my resume and have gotten job offers every summer which pay me enough for me to cover my bills, living expenses, food, as well as allow me to do things I like, building amps, playing guitar, and doing other fun stuff (some of my friends, college juniors, seniors, who go to investment banking firms can pull up to 20k in a 10 week internship) This is honestly what I suggest you do rather than streamline your life for a career that simply does not give a whole lot of return.

You sound like a sell out.
Epiphone G-400 Goth (I love it so much!)
Digitech RP 80 Modeling Guitar Processor
Viper Amp (Getting new one soon.)
Jay Turser Strat (Worst guitar ever made.)

"Different strokes for different folks."
Berklee isn't really Competitive.

Curtis and Julliard are.

I have several friends at Berklee. A lot of hard work

I'm going to Oberlin College for Jazz Composition Major.
My Spanish Hearts
i study at a college atm, and am applying for a jazz conservatorium later this year.

it IS alot of work studying. you have to give it 100 percent or you will fall behind. but that being said, i love studying music. there is history, recording, aural, rhythm, your instrument lessons and group (band) lessons. oh, and theory, theory is tough. lol
The Mars Volta fan

shes so.....HEAVYYYYY
Quote by raess
You sound like a sell out.

and you sound like you've never had to pay a single bill in your life. if you're in high school or middle school, you have no idea what living on your own is like.

I do what I do so I don't have to live off my parents. Its called reality buddy. I've met far too many guitarists and musicians who can't make ends meet, take up crappy second jobs to pay their bills. Sure there are the exceptions, but we can't all be rock stars like MTV/fuse/VH1/whatever you kids are watching on TV these days tries to make you believe.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 15, 2008,
Quote by RHCP987123
So i was interested in studying music in college. I was looking at Berklee and that looks pretty sweet. So anybody from Berklee have any advice? and also any suggestions on the tryout? i want something funky similar to RHCP(obviously) and also i dont think RHCP would be good(to generic).
so any overall advice would be greatly appreciate.

cool beans. i think i've given up on doing music for college. i'm just not good enough. idk what i want to do now; maybe teaching or being a cop or something, idk. if i could swim good and i wasn't so freaking weak, i'd just join the military.