Page 1 of 2
This incorperates my existing guitars and FX pedals (pedals being the Zenith Arteffects, the 80s MXR dynacomp, the 80s Boss BF-2 Flanger, the Boss PS-5 Supershifter, and DeltaLab Rack Supertimeline)

Ok this is basically for after this year when i have the cash from my job to aquire this rig which I think will beast mothers... I know yes there have been A million threads on this, i'm just wondering if this will be a good Idea

Splawn Quickrod with Tung-sol EL-34b tubes and White Plexi with gold piping Head cab
Splawn Cab loaded with Sb25s and White with gold piping, black grille

(going for the Randy Rhoads look)

Arion Stereo Chorus
Fulltone Fullvibe
Korg PitchBlack
Pigtronix Mothership
Source Audio Hot Hand
Moog MURF MoogerFooger
EHX Micro Synth
Ernie Ball Volume Jr.
EHX Russian Big muff pi w/ mid boost and true bypass mods

ISP Decimator Pro Rack
Dbx 2231 31-band Graphic Equalizer
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
Furman Power Conditioner
(insert audio loop thing here)
Rocktron All Access

Gibson Explorer or Parker Nite Fly

Estimated cost- 5000$ give or take

EDIT: Took out the Voodoo labs stuff and a few of the FX
Last edited by Highwaytohell at Sep 1, 2008,
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Damn. Start saving your pennies and mowing lawns I guess since you don't even have any money for the Splawn.

Pics and clips when you get it all in 3 years!

i actually have about 400 dollars now... and am getting 1500 by the end of october
Quote by Highwaytohell
i actually have about 400 dollars now... and am getting 1500 by the end of october

half way there!

wait....
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Anybody have any suggestions on modifications to the pedalboard? Like is the MURF neccecarily worth it or do I need some other rack FX? Better Delay pedals than spending 400 on the Echolution?
My current rig is similar to the one you want to build. I would recommend against the Ground Control Pro. I used it for a while its features are not planned out very well. its to limiting on its configurations. I went to the Rocktron all access and it was much better. More money though.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
Quote by Ubershall404
My current rig is similar to the one you want to build. I would recommend against the Ground Control Pro. I used it for a while its features are not planned out very well. its to limiting on its configurations. I went to the Rocktron all access and it was much better. More money though.

thats kind of why I wanted the voodoo labs... cheaper...
I'm also starting to question the use of a rack shelf for pedals...
What will I do about Wah and pedals with more than one footswitchable feature?

EDIT: If no voodoo labs GCX system, what will I use to loop the pedals in the rack
Last edited by Highwaytohell at Aug 17, 2008,
Bumping an old thread, but I would suggest Custom Audio Electronics for the effects switching.
Quote by Goldenglove
Bumping an old thread, but I would suggest Custom Audio Electronics for the effects switching.

is it noiseless and easy to use?
i personally would ditch all the pedals and just plug a kickass guitar into the Splawn...old fashioned way...well...maybe a wah just for kicks...
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
^I agree. I couldn't justify spending all that money when it could towards an even nicer amp. With 5k you could order an amp that could go from orphanage wrecking metal to females tearing their clothes off blues. That's just me though.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Ha, rig of d00m is better :p

Seeing as you'll have yours about the same time I have mine, lets compare
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^The Splawn can do that.

It's got way too much wattage to drive the power amp into some creamy breakup. At least at reasonable volumes.
okay then he can ditch all the pedals and rack **** and buy an ultimate attenuator
"Prefiero morir parado que vivir siempre arrodillado" - Ernesto "El Che" Guevara de la Serna (1928 - 1967)
Quote by Otsugua713
okay then he can ditch all the pedals and rack **** and buy an ultimate attenuator

Or pull tubes.
yeah some guy in the forum did that to get his ultimate van halen I tone
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^True, but any amp that is smaller than 50 watts won't be able to do any real kind of heavy metal (with a few exceptions). It is really a trade off.

Very true. Or you could buy more than one amp. I could so see a splawn and a deluxe reverb being AB'd to great effect.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Very true. Or you could buy more than one amp. I could so see a splawn and a deluxe reverb being AB'd to great effect.

That does sound nice.

Not my bag, but nice all the same.

Or an old Bassman.
^I plan on doing that with my Super Reverb and V16. I know the V16 will pale in comparison, but it is easily cranked compared to something bigger so I can just upgrade the speaker to a Greenback and get good tubes. I just don't see the need for spending over $800 on an amp right now.

I can just imagine what a Deluxe and a Splawn would sound like. Sex in a box I bet.
Quote by imgooley
That does sound nice.

Not my bag, but nice all the same.

Or an old Bassman.

More amps really is the answer to all problems. Starving people in Africa? Send them more amps.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^I plan on doing that with my Super Reverb and V16. I know the V16 will pale in comparison, but it is easily cranked compared to something bigger so I can just upgrade the speaker to a Greenback and get good tubes. I just don't see the need for spending over $800 on an amp right now.

I can just imagine what a Deluxe and a Splawn would sound like. Sex in a box I bet.

Matamp+Narrow Pannel Tweed Twin= The voice of God and the bark of hellhounds in two separate boxes

And there is always a need to spend more than 800 on amps

Quote by Kevin Saale
More amps really is the answer to all problems. Starving people in Africa? Send them more amps.

Civil War in East Europe? Send them more amps.
You guys do know that a Splawn has a half power switch right?

If i were to ab/y this amp with another amp...i might actually be better off buying a pro-stock, due to lack of a clean channel...

And i'm kind of set on the splawn. Unless perhaps you can find me a better amp voiced for high-gain british sounds.
^The economy sucks, give people more amps

TS: Don't you think a 31 band eq is pushing it a bit? Do you think you'll use all those effects. I'm not saying it's bad to have a lot of gear, but maybe some of that money could go towards a nice guitar to complement your new amp.

^Even at 50 watts you still can't crank it.

That's cool that your set on the amp, all the clips I've ever heard from splawn are just amazing. I just question that anyone could use that much gear.
Quote by imgooley

And there is always a need to spend more than 800 on amps

Yeah, but I have no money and I need to save for college/car/future gear/girlfriend spending money.

Getting new tubes and fuzz pedal and EQ pedal soon though. Shortly follwed by a new speaker and wah pedal. Should keep me happy with my V16 for quite a while since I don't have any complaints as it is. I will just get more spoiled for tone.

Quote by Highwaytohell
You guys do know that a Splawn has a half power switch right?

If i were to ab/y this amp with another amp...i might actually be better off buying a pro-stock, due to lack of a clean channel...

And i'm kind of set on the splawn. Unless perhaps you can find me a better amp voiced for high-gain british sounds.

Maybe a Competition and a used Super Reverb. That would be awesome! Switchable to 25 watts would make it somewhat crankable and it is basically a Quickrod's OD channel. It would save you money for an amp with amazing cleans and a good bluesy OD when pushed.
Last edited by acdcrocks0323 at Sep 1, 2008,
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Yeah, but I have no money and I need to save for college/car/future gear/girlfriend spending money.

Getting new tubes and fuzz pedal and EQ pedal soon though. Shortly follwed by a new speaker and wah pedal. Should keep me happy with my V16 for quite a while since I don't have any complaints as it is. I will just get more spoiled for tone.

Use your financial aid for teh mapz. Get a beater truck to transport said mapz. Hit up your girlfriend for amp money.

Problem solved
Quote by Highwaytohell

Splawn Quickrod with Tung-sol EL-34b tubes and White Plexi with gold piping Head cab
Splawn Cab loaded with Sb25s and White with gold piping, black grille

(going for the Randy Rhoads look)

Arion Stereo Chorus
Fulltone Fullvibe
Korg PitchBlack
Pigtronix Mothership
Source Audio Hot Hand
Moog MURF MoogerFooger
EHX Micro Synth
Ernie Ball Volume Jr.
EHX Russian Big muff pi w/ mid boost and true bypass mods

ISP Decimator Pro Rack
Dbx 2231 31-band Graphic Equalizer
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
Furman Power Conditioner
(insert audio loop thing here)
Rocktron All Access

Gibson Explorer or Parker Nite Fly

Estimated cost- 5000$ give or take

EDIT: Took out the Voodoo labs stuff and a few of the FX

Ok, this is quite good, but I think you should look at some alternatives to what you have listed.

To start with amps, the Splawn Quickrod is great, but you really need to try out some other amps and really figure out EXACTLY what you want, not based on just sound smaples. I recommend Orange, Rivera, Framus and Diezel for companies that are worth a look. This being said, nice choice on Tung-Sol tubes.

For your pedalboard, you are really better off combining your chorus and vibrato (Arion and FullVibe) needs into the one pedal, for example, a BBE Mind Bender or an Analogman Bi-Chorus. The Dr Scientist Cosmichorus is also worht a look for chorus pedals.

The tuner is good, Korg and Planet Waves are your best options.

Honestly, I have never heard of the Pigtronix Mothership, but I just looked up. Pigtronix are generally quite a reliable brand so it's worth a look. The Line 6 FM4 is also good for synth-type stuff and all out craziness

I personaly own the MuRF and it's a brilliant pedal, which can be really handy. The Xotic appregiator is also worth a look, but not as good.

No need for a Micro Synth and the Ernie Ball volume is great, I own one as well.

I personally would steer clear of the Big Muff, it's noisy, lazy and sucks much tone. Look at some other fuzzes, there are so many around. If you need recommendations, PM me.

Your rack setup seems great as well, so I won't touch that. For a MIDI controller, the Rocktron is good but pricey. Look at Voodoo Labs, and there is couple of others that slip my mind.

ENJOY
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
Ok, this is quite good, but I think you should look at some alternatives to what you have listed.

To start with amps, the Splawn Quickrod is great, but you really need to try out some other amps and really figure out EXACTLY what you want, not based on just sound smaples. I recommend Orange, Rivera, Framus and Diezel for companies that are worth a look. This being said, nice choice on Tung-Sol tubes.

For your pedalboard, you are really better off combining your chorus and vibrato (Arion and FullVibe) needs into the one pedal, for example, a BBE Mind Bender or an Analogman Bi-Chorus. The Dr Scientist Cosmichorus is also worht a look for chorus pedals.

The tuner is good, Korg and Planet Waves are your best options.

Honestly, I have never heard of the Pigtronix Mothership, but I just looked up. Pigtronix are generally quite a reliable brand so it's worth a look. The Line 6 FM4 is also good for synth-type stuff and all out craziness

I personaly own the MuRF and it's a brilliant pedal, which can be really handy. The Xotic appregiator is also worth a look, but not as good.

No need for a Micro Synth and the Ernie Ball volume is great, I own one as well.

I personally would steer clear of the Big Muff, it's noisy, lazy and sucks much tone. Look at some other fuzzes, there are so many around. If you need recommendations, PM me.

Your rack setup seems great as well, so I won't touch that. For a MIDI controller, the Rocktron is good but pricey. Look at Voodoo Labs, and there is couple of others that slip my mind.

ENJOY

Now this is some good effing advice!

I was wondering if there were vibe-chorus pedals. That would save me alot of time!
I met the owner of pigtronix and was one of the first people to see his Mothership in action, first pedal with an intelligent ring-mod (sweeet)

As far as oranges go, They sound good, but just simply not enough gain on hand ...
Diezels look a little, over the top for me, from what i've heard is amazing but simply not the sound i'm looking for.
Framus I still wish to do a little investigating into. I question their british-ness...

Fuzz Pedals? well I'm looking for a sort of toni iommi-doom low end GURRR fuzz... So if you could reccomend any that would be great...
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^His sound like mostly an old Laney with .08 strings tuned low. Not really any fuzz going on AFAIK.

i always forget this... however if you could reccomend any doomish-sounding higher gainy fuzzes

Also, are their any other Vibe-chorus dual pedals you could reccomend?
A Russian Big Muff is quite dark and gainy. Maybe a 70s Big Muff (the green ones) would be better. You would want to mod the Russian for true-bypass though. Maybe get a prebuilt clone of the 70s version or even build your own.

There are really lots of options available. I would get a silicon transistor one similar to that MXR Classic 108 fuzz so you have one that can do the trippy stuff (if you like that kind of stuff) but still get really heavy.
Last edited by acdcrocks0323 at Sep 1, 2008,
What about a fuzz factory? I was under the impression you could get all sorts of sounds from one of those.
Good fuzzes include the Zvex Woolly Mammoth fuzz, the Earthquaker Devices Hoof Fuzz and the Fulltone '70.

A Matamp or an Orange Thunderverb can give you a really dark tone. Another amp that sounds very dark is the Sunn Model T.
I just want the fuzz to be there for effect gurr puprose, not to define my tone.

I've tried the Zvex fuzz factory. Not the fuzz i'm looking for, way too zany...
i've tried the '70... wasn't what i'm looking for

I do like the clips i'm hearing of the earthquaker. Sounds nice and angry
I might just do myself well to get the Bass one... It sounds preety darn angry with guitar, but the black big muff with some mods might be a good idea. Maybe a BYOC kit...
Last edited by Highwaytohell at Sep 1, 2008,
Quote by Highwaytohell
Now this is some good effing advice!

I was wondering if there were vibe-chorus pedals. That would save me alot of time!
I met the owner of pigtronix and was one of the first people to see his Mothership in action, first pedal with an intelligent ring-mod (sweeet)

As far as oranges go, They sound good, but just simply not enough gain on hand ...
Diezels look a little, over the top for me, from what i've heard is amazing but simply not the sound i'm looking for.
Framus I still wish to do a little investigating into. I question their british-ness...

Fuzz Pedals? well I'm looking for a sort of toni iommi-doom low end GURRR fuzz... So if you could reccomend any that would be great...

Thanks mate

Ok, for vibe-chorus pedals, chorus and vibrato both work on the same principle, that they duplicate the orginal signal slightly detuned, the more detuned it is, the more it sounds like vibrato, the closer it is to tune, the more sutble the chorus is, but I'm sure you probably have heard this, you seem like one of the knowledgable ones. Good chorus/vibrato pedals are the DLS Stereo Chorus, Fulltone ChoralFlange and Red Witch Empress (my personal recommendation).

For the amps, I like to see that you have done your research, and I subsequently think that you would love the Splawn. The Orange Thunderverb would probably have enough gain, but you seem to be happy, and you know what you want.

For fuzz pedals, you should look at the Red Witch Fuzz God, The Dr Scientist Frazz Dazzler or Woolly Mammoth etc. I'm thinking my favourite, Death by Audio Supersonic Fuzz GUn may be a bit OTT for you. Look at this YOutube channel, this should give you everyting you need
http://www.youtube.com/user/ProGuitarShopDemos
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Page 1 of 2