Are there any books I should start out with? Should I just learn to read tab and just go from there? Should I get a certain chord book? Basicly where should I start? I've just been learning stuff off youtube for a couple months.
get proficient at playing powerchords quickly, then open chord changes, then barre chords, all the while working the major, pentatonic, and pentatonic blues scale.
I just read tabs I started out with easy songs and eventually as you learn different songs you get different skills down. Hammer-ons, Pull-off's, Trills, Bends, Vibratos, it will all come with learning different tabs.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
above comments are good advice.
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
If I told you, you wouldnt be self taught, would you?
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
Pick your favorite songs and try to learn them. You'll be amazed at what you can accomplish on your own as long as you don't give up.
Quote by guitargod21136

lol.... smart ass

Now to answer the askers question...i think its better to learn how to actually read music notes then just tabs.. the books i would recommend are alfred's or mel bay's guitar book 1 , but since you want to be self taught i'd say go with alfred's since its more explained and also a little easier.
Quote by Themann810
whenever im about to bang a chick she turns into a guy WTF why does this happen
Last edited by ampzz525 at Aug 15, 2008,
I used Tabs and dvd's, Got about 30 technique and "Learn to play" ones. Learned alot from some not so much from others. Taking lessons now after 2 years to learn how to read music (lots easier when you can already play several songs). Check out LickLibrary or similar site. They have some pretty good stuff.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by guitargod21136

LOL Good one.
Quote by tona_107
get proficient at playing powerchords quickly, then open chord changes, then barre chords, all the while working the major, pentatonic, and pentatonic blues scale.

The typical rock guitarist progession ladder. Usually good.

When you're learning scales remember to learn the scale across and along the fretboard.

In terms of some staff you might want to consider, get either powertab for some of the more complex songs.

For books, I'd recommend picking up Fretboard Logic Vol 1, 2 and 3 for starters.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
LEARN THEORY, you're going to learn it sooner or later. Get it done early and it will help you sooooo much. Use these two to help:

http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503032
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by SG6578
I just read tabs I started out with easy songs and eventually as you learn different songs you get different skills down. Hammer-ons, Pull-off's, Trills, Bends, Vibratos, it will all come with learning different tabs.

That's how I did it :P
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Now learn songs and everything. Start easy. Try to challenge yourself more and more. Play stuff you like. Learn the pentatonic and blues scales early and try to learn the major and minor scale early as well. Learn about keys early and why certain chord are in certain keys. Try connecting the songs you are learning to play with the theory you are learning. What key is a song in what type of progression are the chords. What scale is that riff using, what scale is that solo using etc.
Basic Major chords.

Hammer-ons and Pull-offs.

Power Chords.

Pentatonic Scale.

Picking.
:stickpoke

Baby, if I were biscuits and you were gravy, I'd sop you up

FIGHT IGNORANCE

"I fear for my flesh, but I fear for my spirit even more..."