Kinda gay, I love some of vai's stuff but this is a really huge dick move.
Just remember, at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box
he is releasing his own BT i believe, a set of albums with the the music from older albums with the guitar track cut out. look it up i'm too lazy to haha
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
^ Yep, Naked Tracks or something. i dont really see how this is a dick move though, he wrote them so he has the right to do whatever he wants with them.
Major dick move on Vai's part. He always spews all this bullshit about caring about music and spirituality and art in music and all sorts of other crap, and then pulls a move like this, which is nothing more than a money grab.

Whatever. It's business.
i just lost respect for vai.
Gear:
.Fender Classic Series '70s Stratocaster
.Peavey Classic 30
.Xotic BB Preamp
.MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
.Vox V847A Wah
.Boss RC-2 Loop Station
.Washburn WI-24 (first guitar )
He does this **** all the time. You can never find ANY Vai tracks on Youtube, they're almost all removed because of 'legal reasons' a week after they're uploaded. I really think they look for this and target it. =/

I mean, I love the hell out of his music, but seriously man, don't be another Gene Simmons
The Pit. The Movie.
Quote by RyanDV
i just lost respect for vai.

because he wants some compensation for something he wrote, and your to cheap to go out and buy his Backing Track CD?
From Vai's site:

Steve Vai: Naked Tracks - Coming soon!
Naked Tracks Vol. 1-5, is a series of recording packages that contain mixes of Steve’s songs without the lead guitars. They are offered as “play along tracks.” Included are select backing tracks from Passion and Warfare, Sex & Religion, Alien Love Secrets, Fire Garden, The Ultra Zone, Alive In An Ultra World, Real Illusions: Reflections and others.

And there's a little part from Vai about how these tracks are a great way to expand your musical abilities, etc., etc.
Yeah, if he released the lawyers name or e-mail, the guy would get flooded with hate mail. Smart move on the admins part.

Also, Steve Vai and his lawyer can suck it.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Last edited by HardAttack at Aug 15, 2008,
Everything i have read thus far is the exact definition of copyright infringement. Unfortunately, I think that Vai should have asked for a donation or the gentleman in charge of BT should have asked for permission; which would grant them the ability to come up with their own BTs similar to Vai's, but not able to sell.

Its not the matter of "Vai has enough money, he shouldn't be hassling these people", its principal.
Quote by Tubyboulin
because he wants some compensation for something he wrote, and your to cheap to go out and buy his Backing Track CD?

Me: High school student. Minimum wage job. Saving for college.

Vai: Multi-millionaire musician. Never has to work another day in his life. Lives in mansion.

Who do you think needs the money more?

If Vai really cared about music the way he leads people to believe, he wouldn't care about shit like this. I'm sure he remembers what it's like to be a poor teenager who just wants to play some guitar, but no, he'd rather have us pay him money that we don't have and he doesn't really need.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Everything i have read thus far is the exact definition of copyright infringement. Unfortunately, I think that Vai should have asked for a donation or the gentleman in charge of BT should have asked for permission; which would grant them the ability to come up with their own BTs similar to Vai's, but not able to sell.

Its not the matter of "Vai has enough money, he shouldn't be hassling these people", its principal.

I certainly agree that the site should have had permission first, or had given Vai a portion of their profits. But it's blatantly obvious that Vai wouldn't have accepted either, he just wants to sell his new Naked Tracks set and pad his bank account.
Quote by HardAttack
Yeah, if he released the lawyers name or e-mail, the guy would get flooded with hate mail. Smart move on the admins part.

Also, Steve Vai and his lawer can suck it.

Damn that Steve Vai for trying to make money from his music!

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Vai: Multi-millionaire musician. Never has to work another day in his life. Lives in mansion.

Source?
Quote by Tubyboulin

I'd buy his tracks, half of the BT's on the site are made by people using midi's, which aren't accurate enough and I'd like a good BT. But also, it's their own interpretation. If he loves music so much, why is he stopping people from playing his songs? I'll play his songs without a bt, but it sounds better and it's better to practice with one if you have one, or the metronome alternative which you probably already use.

If he is going to release his own, I say go for it, I'll remove the songs, but... If these people made these ones on their own, their own interpretation, I don't see the big deal

they aren't that great of quality, if we want a high quality one we'll buy the track.

I'd rather buy all my bt's to be honest
Quote by CaptainRon
Damn that Steve Vai for trying to make money from his music!

Source?

Common sense, cockthroat. When you sell out shows all over the world, have sold millions of albums, and are one of the most widely regarded musicians of the past 20 years, you're going to have some fucking money. A hell of a lot more than I do.
Quote by CrucialGutchman
Common sense, cockthroat. When you sell out shows all over the world, have sold millions of albums, and are one of the most widely regarded musicians of the past 20 years, you're going to have some fucking money. A hell of a lot more than I do.

It doesn't make him a dick for wanting to make money off of his music though.

And why call me a cockthroat?
Quote by CrucialGutchman

Who do you think needs the money more?

Yes, because a CD can just take up nearly a whole paycheck think of it this way...

After you get out of college, say you decide you want to become a Computer program designer. You spend months working on a program to do...whatever, and then after you release it, Sites have it up for download for free. No matter how much you love making computer programs, your going to be pissed your work is getting downloaded and you arent receiving any compensation. Vai worked years writing those songs, and he deserves that money. He earned every penny he has.
Quote by CaptainRon

Quote by CrucialGutchman

Source?

There you go:

Overhead shot.

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/53219/nearby/?d=50
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by CrucialGutchman

you thought about that insult a little too much. tested your gag reflex recently?
It's ok, since Steve Vai is going to release a backing tracks CD of him. So that site would be stealing his sales. It's not like he said "no one is playing MY stuff" and tried to screw him.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I don't think Vai should have the right to completely stop GuitarBT from selling their backing tracks. GuitarBT made them. It's Vai's music, so perhaps he should get some royalties for it, but Vai should have to rely on his own backing tracks being better if he wants to make money off of his own ones.
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
enough fighting between you guys, I just wanted to say, it's cool that he wants to make money off of his songs. he does deserve it, but does he need to get rid of all the home made ones? if you want a better quality, you'll buy the disc (although it'll be all over torrent sites).
I absolutely think stealing is wrong, but what GuitarBT is doing; I wouldn't call it stealing. Vai wrote the song, but they performed it. The recording doesn't belong to him. I don't see Metallica going after every stupid club band that covers 'Enter Sandman'.

The way I see it, if Vai gets any money out of it, he should get some royalties at the most since GuitarBT is selling the music (although I bet GutiarBT states who the original artist was when you download the cover backing track, and it's implied that he didn't record it.).
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by CaptainRon
It doesn't make him a dick for wanting to make money off of his music though.

And why call me a cockthroat?

Making money off your music and a shameless money grab like this are totally different. I certainly get that people should pay for his music, but rereleasing the music wth less of his composition of the song, and expecting most to buy the music twice (in original form and BT form), is kind of ridiculous.

Also, I called you cockthroat you are one. Genius.

Quote by Tubyboulin
Yes, because a CD can just take up nearly a whole paycheck think of it this way...

After you get out of college, say you decide you want to become a Computer program designer. You spend months working on a program to do...whatever, and then after you release it, Sites have it up for download for free. No matter how much you love making computer programs, your going to be pissed your work is getting downloaded and you arent receiving any compensation. Vai worked years writing those songs, and he deserves that money. He earned every penny he has.

But let's say I'm a multimillionaire programmer. I've been doing it for years and sold millions of programs, and have made plenty of money. Throughout my career, I've encouraged young programmers to program themselves, and explore the art of making a program.

A lot of my young fans have started tweaking with my programs, changing bits of the program in their own way for their own personal use, just so they can practice their skills. They've already bought most of my programs, and they just want to use the stripped down program to practice on, especially since I've been so vocal about them developing their skills and the importance of programming.

But no. I want them to buy the stripped down program again to practice on. I certainly have enough money, but they should pay again for a program with less features so they can add some elements of their own.

That just doesn't seem right to me.

I certainly get that people should pay for music. (Except from major-label musicians, since the label gets most of the money and not the artist, but that's another argument.)

But expecting money for backing tracks just seems a little ridiculous.

Quote by Phazer
you thought about that insult a little too much. tested your gag reflex recently?

Wow, someone sure got butthurt over an insult that wasn't even aimed at them. Eat diarrhetic shit.
I'm not sure if I can really blame Steve Vai for this as his lawyer might've just been looking for an opportunity to grab more money for himself, but I hope this doesn't go through just because it's a pretty dick move. What if Steve Vai doesn't release all backing tracks of his music and just the popular ones? Where will people go to get backing tracks for less popular Steve Vai songs?

Furthermore, given that you generally have to own a piece of music to know what it is (and therefore, go about downloading a backing track for it in the first place) I don't see how this could possibly infringe on Steve Vai's freedom to sell songs. It's sort of like tabs - it's a tool people use in order to cover songs, which is in and of itself an expression of appreciation and support for an artist.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by CrucialGutchman
I certainly get that people should pay for music. (Except from major-label musicians, since the label gets most of the money and not the artist, but that's another argument.)

The only problem with that theory though is that if you stop paying for the album, that means the artist gets even less money as a result of you pirating the music.
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by HardAttack
The only problem with that theory though is that if you stop paying for the album, that means the artist gets even less money as a result of you pirating the music.

But then you support them by buying more merchandise and continuing seeing their shows. That's how musicians make most of their money.

And anyway, by buying less major label artists, maybe more artists will either release music independently or for indie labels, or maybe major labels will finally get the hint and change their ways. The drop in money for artists could be temporary.
Quote by CrucialGutchman
HOLY WALL-O-TEXT.

Well, as far as i know they arent really changing the tracks, merely replicating the originals without the leads. Thats like someone who does a cover, lets take Sonata Arcticas cover of Still Loving you for example. they made it there own, and they really put an interesting twist on it. It wasnt a whole lot like the Original, but that was the point. If you look at someone who just replicates the original note for note, than that isnt very interesting at all. I think it would be really cool if someone re-arranged a Vai song in their own style, and i think Vai would dig that too, but from the BT's ive heard off that site, they are just pretty much replications of the originals.
Mr. Vai works like everyone else. He is human, a human with more money than most people i am sure, so he probably lives in a nicer place, has an expensive car and sex at least once every 20 min. He needs to make that kind of money in order to accommodate his spendings. If he needs to squeeze people that are "stealing" from him in order to make a little more dough, then sure, he is allowed to do that.