what do you guys currently do with your playing, do you just practice, do you jam with friends, do you play gigs, or what? I want to do more with my musical abilities. I just play with my other guitar friend and we cover iron maiden songs and some other ones that harmonize since we can both do some lead. But lately i feel like i want to do more stuff. I don't know any drummers or bass players around my place so that is why i don't gig or any of that.

Feel free to share what you guys currently do as musicians.
as a percussionist i play in my school's wind ensemble and marching band, as well as a youth orchestra and also i do some solo and small ensemble things.
as a guitarist i play for fun
as a bassist i play in a band
i practice non-stop and sometimes me and a few friends gather up and have a jam session but if you really want to do more try to learn other genres
You know you're loved when someone breaks a guitar over your leg and everyone's more concerned about the guitar than you.

Quote by Fiire
^total philosopher
i play a few classical stuff, and i play some acoustic things too. When i write my own stuff, it usually is just little riffs, but that is about it for writing
you can do what me and the other guitarist of my band did, try to learn jazz cuz you'd be suprised at how difficult it could be
You know you're loved when someone breaks a guitar over your leg and everyone's more concerned about the guitar than you.

Quote by Fiire
^total philosopher
i did play at my school talent show and i won first play after my acoustic performance of Spanish Romance, and a few other classical pieces. I will check out jazz, since it could help expand my musical knowledge about it since i know nothing about it. I understand blues, rock, and a some classical stuff. thnx for recommending me this, i never thought about it, and besides im still in my summer break so i still got lots of free time.
practice, i had a band but the lead guitarist moved to canada, so know im stuck with school jazz band.
yeah so far with all the down time ive had ive gotten into Jazz, deeper into Classical since that was what i was originally taught off of, Metal, and Rock. oh and it also never hurts learn music theory too jus another thing to do with all the free time lol

Quote by Fiire
^total philosopher
As a percussionist I play in my school's Full Orchestra.

As a guitarist I play in a Washington Conservatory Jazz Ensemble.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
i play for my own enjoyment, i write songs i enjoy and record them so that hopefully others can enjoy them as well.
I play guitar. I write, record, learn songs, then practice some scales and arpeggios. Tonight I'm starting a band.
Gigs, rehearsals and writing sessions, back into the studio starting this weekend, practice on my own when I have time.
I jam with my friend (or at least try to) and I'm trying to work on writing some songs that I actually finish. Usually when I try to write a song, I never finish it for whatever reason.
Quote by Seryaph
You need to douse it in a 20/30/50 ratio of mustard/ketchup/horseradish and stroke it as fast as you can untill the mayonaise squirts out. Then consume.
I usually just practice a lot and write a ton of my own material that I just can't recorded as of now, and a coworker and I are drawing up a business plan at the moment to hopefully open our own recording studio.
i would also like to mention that, there is this other instrument i play called a baglama, it is turkish, and i might me going to a competition in turkey to play some turkish music, in the turkish olympiads, they do this competition to get more people to learn about the turkish culture and that is my big thing im gonna do soon. But i find the baglama harder to play than the guitar. My teacher told me about it and it is pretty cool, i have already performed once and won 200$.

btw, are there any guitar competitions, or maybe battle of the bands? i would be interested in later joining some competitions or just gig-ing.

one thing that really bothers me is my gear, my stratocaster and amp, can't really go heavy, it is great for blues and maybe some punk but when i try to shred, it doesn't get enough distortion. And so lately i practice classical stuff.
I jam with friends, write stuff, play bass in my school jazz band, plus bass(bass bass, not bass drum/bass clarinet) in marching band(hopefully I'll be getting a harmonica solo!). Oddly enough, I'd consider guitar my main instrument, but other than that, I do bass, ukulele, piano, tenor sax, and harmonica.
Quote by :-D
I usually just practice a lot and write a ton of my own material that I just can't recorded as of now, and a coworker and I are drawing up a business plan at the moment to hopefully open our own recording studio.

well, good luck with that man, I really hope it works out!
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I just write my own stuff, and jam sometimes with friends. I will honestly probably never gig because I don't really see the fun in it.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Practice, Practice, Practice!

And the occasional going to friends house to jam.

I would love to write music. I have no momentum on writing until I feel I can really do it, probably a year or two.
i generally practice about 4 to 5 days a week for about two hours. on those days i will also jam over backing tracks and write my own stuff as well.

the other days i'm typically practicing with my band or playing with people from around the area. i find it really helps to solidify the techniques and ideas i have been playing with that week.
i practice guitar and jam sometimes with a mate but i usually play drums but i really dont want to!
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by frog_friend
I just write my own stuff, and jam sometimes with friends. I will honestly probably never gig because I don't really see the fun in it.

dont see the fun! are you crazy?

youre getting payed to play music!!! jesus! if you play guitar then you must enjoy playing music so why are you complaining!? so youre getting played do something you do anyway!
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by pain-killer
i practice non-stop and sometimes me and a few friends gather up and have a jam session but if you really want to do more try to learn other genres

+1

and you dont havae to jam with bassists or drummer or other guitarists... you can jam with anyone. saxaphones are awesome with guitars!

Just practise none stop and take every opportunity to play with people