Hey there everybody.

I'm just curious as to whether or not there is any software out there that teaches on the subject of home recording/producing, if such a program does exist. I know the basics of recording, but I would like to learn a little more in depth about home recording (setting up a studio, recording instruments, production, mastering, etc.)

If there is some sort of program out there that does teach on this stuff, I would greatly appriciate it if someone could let me know the name of the software. Unfortunatley for me, there isn't too many people in the small town that I live in that can show me more about this stuff, and I find that articles on the internet help, but they don't always do a great job of helping you applying the knowledge. So I guess that leaves me on my own I guess, which is why some sort of learning software would be nice.

Thanks for the help!
im not aware of any teaching software, i think trial and error is the best way to learn
Well... you could go to a school to learn that stuff. Most people learn by doing. You can go to a studio and volunteer to intern there. You'll learn tons, and you'll be learning from a pro.

For me, I spent a lot of time reading forums like this one. I was pretty far into recording before I even discovered this site. Here is a good place to start as the environment is such that there are a lot of noobs, and enough people who are knowledgeable enough to help them out in a way that I find pretty supportive and welcoming.

A couple of other good sources are:

www.recordingproject.com
www.homerecording.com

I like the first one better. It is a smaller community than the second one, but is just as knowledgeable. With the bigger numbers, all you really get for the most part is more noobs and goons.

Also forums specific to your software or whatever. For me it was www.cubase.net.

There are also newsgroups - alt.steinberg.cubase and the like.

When you get really good, there is:
-rec.pro.audio
-www.prosoundweb.com

Go to the latter for some good articles and back reading. Don't make posts there until you really know what you're talking about. These are true pros. They don't want to be bothered with the likes of "why isn't my Toneport responding to my Nady mic?" kind of questions. In most cases, gear snobs, but if you were a pro racer driving a $250 000 completely customized car, I guess you've earned the right to make fun of a Ford Focus.

Another *great* resource is Recording Magazine. www.recordingmag.com They really strike a great balance providing content to beginner and intermediate recordists alike. It's a pretty easy read without being dumbed down, and the articles are relevant and practical. The product reviews are kind, but seem honest as well. You'll find product reviews from everyone from Samson and Behringer to Avalon and SSL.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Aug 15, 2008,
Thanks for the advice AxeManChris!

To avoid any confusion, I do have some experience in recording and producing music from the home already, I think I may have come off as being someone who was new to the whole concept. I have produced and recorded a few demos with my band out of the home already, but the reason I asked if there as any sort of learning tool available was because I felt that I didn't get everything that I wanted out of the demos. The demos were good for being demos, don't get me wrong, but I was thinking maybe some sort of learning software or program or whatever could kind of take me step by step through the process and show me things I possibly may have left out, or things I did one way that may have worked better another way.

Like I said, unfortunatley I only live in a small town, and there isn't any recording studios nearby that would offer support. I also didn't want to have to take a class on the subject. I was shooting for something I could do out of the home, so that way I could kind of apply the knowledge on my equpiment at home as I learn, and sort of add to the list of things that I already know.

The links to websites that you provided however have proven useful already. There were a few that I was already aware of, but without you I may have never found these other ones. Even that BelCanto Technique website in your tagline proved to be a very interesting piece of information as well! Thanks again for the help!
No problem, man. Glad you're finding it useful.

CT

(always feel a bit 'awkward' suggesting other forums... like I might once again join the forum of the banned - yeah, really - ... but I think it is useful stuff.)
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.