Page 1 of 2
So! what is a good acoustic under 1kusd? It has to have a good pickup and it has to have a good blusey tone.. Im pretty much a noob at acoustic (I normaly play electric)
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Member 6 of the CARVIN CLUB!!

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
blusey tone: I'd look for somthing second-hand and solid wood on E-bay with a bit of age to it.
hmm, I was thinking mabye a taylor, I played one at the shop and I really loved it.
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
look at a garrison. if you're shooting for under $1000, they'd be a good bet. with garrisons, the frame and bracing is made of fiberglass, which keeps the costs way down and allows it to have things like much nicer woods for much less than taylors or martins. my solid wood cedar and spruce garrison was only $700 and i love it.
ah! very cool, were would I find these?

and also could I get a second opinion?

EDIT: Also, I wouldnt really like a second hand guitar, because I would really like to get MY guitar and make my own history with it, if that doesnt sound too rediculous.
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Last edited by Oblivian at Aug 15, 2008,
Yeah, it does sound ridiculous. If you were a violin player, would you rather a new one or an old Stad. ? Then again, as a guitarist what would you prefer, a pre-war martin dreadnought or a new one? I'd rather make music with a guitar than history lol,lol.
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 15, 2008,
ah lol, I see. But I donno, Iv had very bad experiences with buying used equipment
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
I dont know if a Taylor will really give you a typical bluesy tone.

For guitars in that price range, try some Martin 15 series, Larrivee 03 series, try some Taylors, Blueridges, and some Epiphone Masterbilts. Maybe some Guild GAD's also.

You don't need a good pickup already installed on the guitar. You can always add a great one later.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
hmm i see, I would like to look at some martins, that are very sexy

What do you think about http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Taylor-200-series-214CE-Grand-Auditorium-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar?sku=514497 ?
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Last edited by Oblivian at Aug 15, 2008,
^ Not a bad guitar, but severely overpriced.

For that much money you should get an all solid wood guitar.

Your best bet is to go to all your local guitar shops, play the guitars I recommended, as well as anything else you can get your hands on.

Chances are, that at least one guitar will stand out to you.
Yeah, that's the problem with Martins [especially] and Gibson, Taylors and Guilds, half the price is for the famous name on the headstock. You can get solid wood guitars from less well known brands for the same price as solid top only Martins and the other famous brands above.

I'd be looking around for a brand where your just paying for the quality of the guitar, not a famous name. You'd end up with a much better guitar. Just because a bit of sitka spruce is on a Martin, it's not going to sound much different to a similar quality piece of sitka spruce on a Seagull or other non-famous brand. Making guitars is not a secret rocket science or magic art belonging only to the famous makers.
Yeah, for that kind of money you should get all solid wood, for a better sound.

You'll get a much better deal buying used, like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Martin-D-28-Acoustic-Guitar_W0QQitemZ270264498590QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33028QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

since the new price is this,

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-D28-1935-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=514690

Not that you have to buy it from e-bay, its just to give you an idea. Also you can probably get one for $1200 used, and that would be a big upgrade from that Taylor (albeit, apples and oranges regarding sound)

If you're set on new, there's probably no better value than the Larrivee 03 series like this,

http://www.larrivee.com/3_products/products_loadMovie/03%20series/D03R/load%20movie/D03R.html

Which can be had for $1K

Then again, it comes down to preference.

Some will prefer other guitars for that price including the Martin 15/16 series. If you like the Martin sound, you van also check out Blueridge, which sounds similar, but is more affordable.

For even less, and all solid woods, check out Epiphone Masterbilt, Guild GAD, Alvarez Masterworks.

good luck
Quote by Akabilk
Yeah, that's the problem with Martins [especially] and Gibson, Taylors and Guilds, half the price is for the famous name on the headstock. You can get solid wood guitars from less well known brands for the same price as solid top only Martins and the other famous brands above.

I'd be looking around for a brand where your just paying for the quality of the guitar, not a famous name. You'd end up with a much better guitar. Just because a bit of sitka spruce is on a Martin, it's not going to sound much different to a similar quality piece of sitka spruce on a Seagull or other non-famous brand. Making guitars is not a secret rocket science or magic art belonging only to the famous makers.

Being overpriced is true, but making guitars is kind of a secret.

A Taylor will sound much different than a Martin built using the same woods.

You also pay for the sound, as well as quality, that's how the big names command big prices.
Nothing secret about it. Different bracing patterns and woods produce different sounds. Gibson's use X bracing pattern and a Martin for instance uses a completely different pattern. Here in Aust. Matons use unique Aust. woods so there's another sound. Everything famous has been pulled apart and minutely examined and often copied, originally by Japan and now in China and Asia. There are no real secrets to building factory produced guitars, cars or anything else and $ for $ now, they mostly do it better. At least you get what you pay for and that can be top quality or junk. Mostly the demand is for cheap products.

The majority of the best sounding Violins in the world now come from China and they are brand new [not cheap though]! Quality craftmanship [they have been around for a long time] in Asia and China is just cheaper than anywhere ealse in the world. How long will it be before Martin and Gibson move their factories to China, just because of costs not quality?
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 15, 2008,
well, I just got a les paul and decided to go for a acoustic instead, so I have to trade the paul in for somthing at the store (only talyors)
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Quote by Oblivian
ah lol, I see. But I donno, Iv had very bad experiences with buying used equipment

typically dont buy used stuff.

pickups can be knocked and screw up the winding.
Neck could be not straight

theres just a lot of factors.

Sometimes there are good deals...dont get me wrong.

But have someone experienced about guitars with you if you get one so you don't get something worthless to a gig.

Well thats my 2centss
Quote by Akabilk
Nothing secret about it. Different bracing patterns and woods produce different sounds. Gibson's use X bracing pattern and a Martin for instance uses a completely different pattern. Here in Aust. Matons use unique Aust. woods so there's another sound. Everything famous has been pulled apart and minutely examined and often copied, originally by Japan and now in China and Asia. There are no real secrets to building factory produced guitars, cars or anything else and $ for $ now, they mostly do it better. At least you get what you pay for and that can be top quality or junk. Mostly the demand is for cheap products.

The majority of the best sounding Violins in the world now come from China and they are brand new [not cheap though]! Quality craftmanship [they have been around for a long time] in Asia and China is just cheaper than anywhere ealse in the world. How long will it be before Martin and Gibson move their factories to China, just because of costs not quality?

I was under the impression that Martin uses x bracing as well. In fact I think they pioneered it. If it was that simple, why don't more companies just make the same guitar as Martin, in places with cheaper labor ? Because they have tried, but just can't match it . By "secret" I mean there is something special about how they build guitars that make them sound great.
Your talking crap man. Matin never pioneered X bracing. Gibson did. Martin have never used X bracing. Not ever. There is nothing special about Martin's except the name and some of their great guitars. Even their pre-war Martin dreadnoughts were copied by the Japs and the bracing was never X bracing. It was slant bracing and still is. Don't fill this forum with bull**** you [obviously] know nothing about. If you reckon you do, please provide a link to your headspace to back up your 'I know everything about Martins' rhetoric. I've built quite a few guitars over 40yrs and I always build Matin [scalloped] slant bracings style. None of them have been X bracings. They belong to Gibson. Ask any luthier who builds guitars. You'll get the same answer I've given you. Martins have never used X bracings. Not ever.
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 16, 2008,
Quote by Akabilk
Your talking crap man. Matin never pioneered X bracing. Gibson did. Martin have never used X bracing. Not ever. There is nothing special about Martin's except the name and some of their great guitars. Even their pre-war Martin dreadnoughts were copied by the Japs and the bracing was never X bracing. It was slant bracing and still is. Don't fill this forum with bull**** you [obviously] know nothing about. If you reckon you do, please provide a link to your headspace to back up your 'I know everything about Martins' rhetoric. I've built quite a few guitars over 40yrs and I always build Matin [scalloped] slant bracings style. None of them have been X bracings. They belong to Gibson. Ask any luthier who builds guitars. You'll get the same answer I've given you. Martins have never used X bracings. Not ever.

Actually, Martin is pretty well known for using X bracing.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSpages/History/Martin/MartinBraces/martinbraces.html
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Last edited by Oblivian at Aug 16, 2008,
They are both solid guitars made by a reputable company.

Look, we've really helped you a much as we can at this point. We gave you some recommendations as far as what to try out. We can't make your decision for you. No one but you knows exactly what type of tone you are looking for.

Now you need to just go play guitars.
Quote by slidething31
Actually, Martin is pretty well known for using X bracing.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSpages/History/Martin/MartinBraces/martinbraces.html

hahaha, I was reading his post and was actually thinking it was probably bull....I dont expect that guy to write back.

edit: TS, have you considered the epiphone masterbilt series?
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
the guitar store im trading in ma les paul to only has taylors
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
oh ok, well I think you should just try out a bunch of them in youre price range and see which sounds/feels better to you, and go with that one.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by Akabilk

Wow, not trying to create controversy, just getting correct info out.
I am far from knowing everything regarding guitars, but this is pretty self explanatory :

Responsible for creating a number of industry standards through the years, C.F. Martin & Co. developed “X-bracing,” the 14-fret guitar and the “Dreadnought” size – all of which have been copied by virtually every acoustic guitar manufacturer in the world. This past year Martin Guitar was honored by Readers Digest (“Americas 100 Best&rdquo and heralded by the New York Times “Saving Trees is Music to Guitar Makers’ Ears&rdquo for helping pioneer the guitar industry’s eco-movement by developing instruments crafted from sustainable woods and innovative alternative materials.

a quote from Guitar Player magazine.

Getting back to the post, I agree with others, you just have to try a few and I and others have given you suggestions.

BTW, what the heck is "slant bracing", I've never heard of it ??
Quote by Akabilk

Are you kidding me? To buy any guitar with the quality of a Guild for their price is like getting away with murder. It's ridiculous, the Guild top of the line dreds with rosewood sell for $2000 new; the same Taylor with those appointments is going to be $3000. Not to mention how poor the resale value on Guilds are, whereas Gibbys and Martins retain a very high resale value, Guilds become dirt cheap for the quality they are. The GAD (import) series look like Collings next to any other sub $1000 guitar.

Quality for price, I don't think Guilds can be beat. The used Guild market is where I'd look for a guitar.
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
No man, there isn't anything wrong with Guild guitars.

But, please, we can't tell you about every guitar out there. You're going to have to go play them and see what you like.

And I thought, the store you were buying from only had Taylors anyway?
Quote by Oblivian

O.K., I'll commit.
Get that one in that color, looks awesome, great price !
Quote by Oblivian

Great guitar, almost picked up one a few months back. For the price, I don't think anything can top it (IMO of course, Masterbilts aren't too bad). Amber burst looks stunning in real life, the picture is kind of misleading. Personally I like natural better, but the Amber Burst is very impressive nonetheless..
Quote by fifer
hahaha, I was reading his post and was actually thinking it was probably bull....I don't expect that guy to write back.

edit: TS, have you considered the epiphone masterbilt series?

Well it was a bad night when I wrote my reply. I was pissed and I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I't wasn't meant to be.
However lets get a few things straight about Martin's so called invention of X bracing of their sound boards. That's bull****. What they did invent was high X bracing of their upper sound-board. A lot of these guitars fell to pieces due to players using heavy strings back before the 40's. Warranty problems caused Martin to abandon this design in the mid-40's and that's why there are so few pre-war Martins around.

In 1938' Gibson was the first to produce X bracings covering the whole of the sound-board [J200 equivalent], not Martin. Martin later got the idea [copied from Gibson] and started doing X bracing that covered the whole of the sound-board too. These pre-war upper X bracings have been re-produced by Martin on a few upper-end models because of their unique sound. They are notable by warning on the models saying 'Light strings only'. By 'slant' bracings I meant scalloped bracings which Martin where and are renowned for.

Apart from that, I apologize for offending anyone. **** happens.
Last edited by Akabilk at Aug 19, 2008,
Quote by Akabilk
Well it was a bad night when I wrote my reply. I was pissed and I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I't wasn't meant to be.
However lets get a few things straight about Martin's so called invention of X bracing of their sound boards. That's bull****. What they did invent was high X bracing of their upper sound-board. A lot of these guitars fell to pieces due to players using heavy strings back before the 40's. Warranty problems caused Martin to abandon this design in the mid-40's and that's why there are so few pre-war Martins around.

In 1938' Gibson was the first to produce X bracings covering the whole of the sound-board, not Martin. Martin later got the idea and started doing X bracing that covered the whole of the sound-board too. These pre-war upper X bracings have been re-produced by Martin on a few upper-end models because of their unique sound. They are notable by warning on the models saying 'Light strings only'. By 'slant' bracings I meant scalloped bracings which Martin where and are renowned for.

Apart from that, I apologize for offending anyone. **** happens.

whos cares.
Obviously not you, so lets start a new world order?
Quote by slidething31
No man, there isn't anything wrong with Guild guitars.

But, please, we can't tell you about every guitar out there. You're going to have to go play them and see what you like.

And I thought, the store you were buying from only had Taylors anyway?

Sorry, I just was wondering. And I discovered another store that stocks many more brands but its about 2 hours away.
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
2 hrs. away? Go there and choose a guitar you like. What do you want here, Personal revelation?
Quote by Akabilk
Obviously not you, so lets start a new world order?

I believe he was referring to your "**** happens" comment...

I do agree with you though.

If you are going to spend that much on a guitar, you will want something that you will enjoy for the majority (if not all) of your musical career, and for that, you won't want to blindly buy off of the internet.
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold."
Choose your own flippen guitar for god's sake. What do you want from us, a choice from god?
no... I wanted to see if there is anything bad about that guitar... like how the taylor was laminate...
Gear?!

Fender Champion 600

Weeping Demon Wah
Metal Muff
Blues Driver

Ibanez S320 Budget:
0/500usd
Page 1 of 2