When playing C major C E G( this goes for any chord not just c major) I don't know what C E and G to play.
It depends. Generally you'd play the C on the lowest string -- either the E, the A or the D. This more strongly identifies it as a C chord. The locations of the E and G matter less; one could play any variation of the chord for a subtly (or vastly) different sound. Find every location of every chord tone on each string -- and form a different voicing of the chord around each position.

Edit: I may as well point out that, if you were to play a chord tone other than C on the bass string, the chord would be an inversion of C major.
Quote by Porteus
It depends. Generally you'd play the C on the lowest string -- either the E, the A or the D. This more strongly identifies it as a C chord. The locations of the E and G matter less; one could play any variation of the chord for a subtly (or vastly) different sound. Find every location of every chord tone on each string -- and form a different voicing of the chord around each position.

Edit: I may as well point out that, if you were to play a chord tone other than C on the bass string, the chord would be an inversion of C major.

yeah to the edit a simple way to see this is with the Cmaj open chord

now these voicing won't sound that diffent because 5 notes are still there making them all sound similiar but are a little different

this is just regular Cmajor with C as the bass note

e-0
B-1
G-0
D-2
A-3
E-x

this is Cmaj is the first inversion with E as the bass note

e-0
B-1
G-0
D-2
A-3
E-0

and Cmaj in the second inversion with G as the bass note

e-0
B-1
G-0
D-2
A-3
E-3

just to add to what the guy was saying
Quote by Darkmessiahnz
When playing C major C E G( this goes for any chord not just c major) I don't know what C E and G to play.

do a Google search for the CAGED system...

the CAGED system is based on the fact that each chord has 5 different basic ways you can play it.... each of those letters, C, A, G, E and D represents a different chord shape that you can play a major chord with...

so to play a C chord, you can play either:

a standard open C chord
an 'A chord' shaped barred chord at the 3rd fret
a barred 'G chord' shaped chord at the 5th fret
an 'E chord' shaped barred chord at the 8th fret
or a barred 'D shape' chord at the 10th fret...

those are the 5 basic ways to play a C chord... you can miss out notes or only play a few strings, or shift a few notes around, but underneath, it's those 5

seriously, check out 'CAGED system'