I'm getting one of these for christmas and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these and if so what are your opinions. I play rock/metal and this is my second electric guitar.
It's mid August, isn't that a little early to be thinking about Christmas?
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
So instead of answering the question you pick up on the date? Way to help someone.
Quote by JAMSRS
So instead of answering the question you pick up on the date? Way to help someone.

Relax

Anyway, on topic:

Peavey electrics in general seem to be gaining in popularity; their range is increasing and they're getting good reviews. My dad recently bought a Generation EXP ACM and he's very satisfied with it.

The V-type is definitely eye catching, whether you like the shape or not.

The pickups are not by any particular brand, but:

-in this price range, that's not uncommon
-non-name brand doesn't mean bad
-the sound is mainly down to your amp, anyway
-pickups are easily replaced

Keeping that in mind, you'll have to decide for yourself if you like the sound of the guitar's stock pickups.

One hint I'll give you is to go for the hardtail model. I'm not familiar with the no name LFR on the tremolo models and they could end up becoming an absolute tuning nightmare after a period of use. With that said, not all LFRs are bad, but I tend not to trust them if they're not from a reputable manufacturer (like Schaller etc.). On top of that, many floating bridge equipped guitars in this price range have trems of questionable quality.

The problem with gauging the quality of these LFRs is that most people tend to write their reviews right after they got their new guitar. That means that these reviews are usually not reliable when it comes to durability issues, like the time it takes for the trem to wear out.

With that said, most reviews are very positive and through the right amp the pickups seem to sound pretty good (like with many guitars). According to one owner the quality of this guitar is pretty similar to Korean Ibanez or LTD, which isn't too bad.

If you like all the abalone inlays and the weird shape this seems like a pretty good choice, as long as you stay away from possibly dodgy trems.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Aug 15, 2008,