Hey,

I've decided to upgrade my crybaby to something a bit better - the sound isn't really what I'm looking for, and I have serious issues with how you turn it off and on (the button when the wah is fully forward).

I was wondering if you could recommend any good sounding wah pedals for me to try out that turn on when you rock the wah forward, and turn off when you rock the wah fully back. I've found the Morley Bad Horsie wah which does this, but I dislike buying signature gear because I don't like the idea that I'm endorsing other's gear. So if you could recommend any other pedals than that one, I'd be grateful!

I got the bad horsie 2 - its mean. So easy to use. If you don't want Vai's name on it just get a regular morley one.
bro i used to think the same way about having some other guitarist's name on my gear, but really, you're doing that anyway.

Marshall was a dude, and he made good ****. If its good gear, and plays and sounds good, why not use it? Who cares who designed it, whether it be a guitarist or an engineer?

Anyways, all I'm saying is don't overlook gear cause of it's name, cause afterall, that's all it is. A name.

(Get the bad horsie)
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
ibanez weeping demon? works nice for me, and u got 3 switches so u can mod ur sound ^_^
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Quote by magvol
ibanez weeping demon? works nice for me, and u got 3 switches so u can mod ur sound ^_^

+1
Quote by magvol

I thought it was a bit too flimsy for me TBH. Cheers for the suggestion though, maybe I'll look it up again.

Quote by sixdaywar
I got the bad horsie 2 - its mean. So easy to use. If you don't want Vai's name on it just get a regular morley one.

The regular one has a button by the side of the rocker to turn it on and off does it not? That would be even worse for me than the button under the rocker.

Quote by CrushedCan
bro i used to think the same way about having some other guitarist's name on my gear, but really, you're doing that anyway.

Marshall was a dude, and he made good ****. If its good gear, and plays and sounds good, why not use it? Who cares who designed it, whether it be a guitarist or an engineer?

Anyways, all I'm saying is don't overlook gear cause of it's name, cause afterall, that's all it is. A name.

(Get the bad horsie)

Yeah, but it's not just the name is it? I would happily buy a pedal if it sounded good, even if it was called anal rape or something

It's also the pedal Steve Vai designed and uses, so naturally it's his wah sound. I want my own wah sound, not a ripoff of someone else's, which is why I like to buy non-signature products.

Following your Marshall analogy, take a JCM800. I'd rather buy the normal JCM than Kerry King's JCM, even if I played thrash metal.
Bad Horsie (don't know if all of them, but the Mark Tremonti) and the Ibanez Weeping Demon will turn on/off just by rocking them.

EDIT: The Weeping Demon is not flimsy AT ALL. I almost stand up completely on it when playing it (i'm about 135 lbs) and i haven't found a problem with it.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
The Crybaby 95Q does that, and it has a sweep adjustment control, which makes it more versatile than the regular crybaby, but if you don't really like the crybaby sound, I guess it might not be for you.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Have you got a soldering iron? Crybabys are way easy to mod.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
TBH I'm not sure about that. It could probably be done, you'd have to find a way to do it though.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
Quote by magvol

+2

EDIT: to whoever said it was flimsy, must be a giant :P those things are solid as anything, there like bricks
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Don Schexnayder
If you want to get the best sounding Wah pedal money can buy, you need to check out Geoffrey Teese's stuff:

http://www.realmccoycustom.com/

I have an RMC1, and I absolutely love it!

Tell me those are available in the UK...GASGASGASGASGASGASGASGAS

EDIT: But those aren't rocker engagable
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Aug 15, 2008,
They're available, they cost £200+
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
Which one do you think would be the best for me? I play mod rock to metal occationally with my band, and I wanted a strong and thick wah tone to use. Nothing treble mad like Kirk Hammett, More like Joe Satch.
Mod your crybaby.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

^Yes, seeing as you're asking about Teese wahs, which you have to press forward, you might as well mod the crybaby.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
Quote by mothership
Mod your crybaby.

^Please read the thread. I need a wah with a rocker switch.

And yes, I'm looking into them because they're good and I might be able to figure out a way of putting my own rocker switch in. Not likely, but I'm hopeful
Quote by Shredx
+2

EDIT: to whoever said it was flimsy, must be a giant :P those things are solid as anything, there like bricks

+100
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Which one do you think would be the best for me? I play mod rock to metal occationally with my band, and I wanted a strong and thick wah tone to use. Nothing treble mad like Kirk Hammett, More like Joe Satch.

Do you realize that almost EVERY wah pedal you could buy has been used and recorded by someone at some point? What DIFFERENCE does it make if it has steve vai's name on it? You're not steve vai are you? I don't think you're in any danger of being confused for Vai if that's what you're worried about. I'm not trying to be an A-hole man, I'm merely pointing out the contradiction inherent in what you're asking us for. "I'd like my wah to sound like Satch, BUT IT BETTER NOT HAVE SATCH'S NAME ON IT111111111!" The resistors. capacitors and diodes inside the wah pedal don't know that the chassis has the name "Steve Vai" on it. The frequencies that project from your amp, that move around those air particles in and around your ears don't care that your stinkin' pedal has Steve Vai's name on it. No one cares. Except maybe Steve Vai. You shouldn't either.

In all seriousness though, the morley bad horsie is the best wah pedal I've ever used.
I agree with TS, I hate sig gear, wouldn't buy it at all.

Have you tried the 535Q?
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Last edited by PendulousThread at Aug 15, 2008,
I was thinking that too. Get one and just sand the finish off if it's that annoying.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
Thanks for the help so far guys, I know this is an ass of a question.

Quote by UpTheIrons!
I was thinking that too. Get one and just sand the finish off if it's that annoying.

I'm not going to argue with you. I just don't like the fact that it has someone else's name all over it. To me that screams "copycat" or "sheep".

But anyway...

Quote by PendulousThread
I agree with TS, I hate sig gear, wouldn't buy it at all.

Have you tried the 535Q?

No I haven't, the only two wah wahs I've ever played are the Jim Dunlop Crybaby (standard) and the Ibanez weeping demon. I didn't like the weeping demon...

I don't think the 535Q has a rocker switch unfortunatley.

Let me explain why I am in desperate need of a wah that I can rock forward and it works, then maybe you can tell me I'm wrong, or suggest some alternative actions:

I play in a funk mod rock band and a load of our songs have wah wah in. Unfortunatley for me, a couple of our songs require me to do a little solo lick, then go back to playing rhythm, in quick succession. I use wah for the solos, but the wah on distorted chords sounds like ass, and I can't turn the wah pedal on and off quick enough to switch between, so I need a wah that turns on automatically as you begin using it.

The only one I knew of before this thread was the Steve Vai signature by Morley, and as mentioned earlier I don't like buying signature gear.

So, if you can suggest any other options to sort out my problem (A wah that works well with distorted rhythm (?), or a wah with an auto on/off feature) it would be much appreciated.

Cheers dudes

You could try changing the height of your current switch to a higher one, that would make it easier to turn on and off.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
^I'd much rather have a rocker switch TBH.

Is the Dunlop95Q a big improvement on the normal crybaby tone? Because it looks like that's the sort of unit I'm looking for.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC28jRcEndE

worth a look, then u can just mod the crybaby, plus the thing can have more uses
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by bartdevil_metal

Is the Dunlop95Q a big improvement on the normal crybaby tone? Because it looks like that's the sort of unit I'm looking for.

Yeah, in my opinion, but you should try it out, because the tone is still similar to a regular crybaby.

Also, it has a 'Q' control, and an optional volume boost (with an on/off switch on the side of the pedal) which could be good if you're going to be switching between rhythm + solos, or could be useless, in which case you just turn it off. I don't use it, but its a cool feature.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Aug 15, 2008,
Quote by bartdevil_metal
That's excellent! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks PendulousThread

Sorry, i just this second remembered it!

Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical