Okay so I've been playing for around 2 months and been using alternate picking on every stroke (almost), but the other day my guitar teacher told me that when im playing crotchets (the note that counts for one beat) I should only use down strokes. I was confused by this because he also said the reason for this is that itll stuff up my picking later in life.

Should i heed his advice?
No, he's an idiot.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
He's an idiot...

About the only time when you don't want to use alt picking is when you're doing arpeggios or something like that... in which case you'll be better off using economy/sweep picking.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Well... Depends down you look at it.

You could go:

V V V V
1 2 3 4

Then as you get into smaller notations

V ^ V ^ V ^ V
1 + 2 + 3 + 4

And keep going like that.

But the reason he's given makes him a ****ing retard xD
I know you should start the first beat with a down stroke, so maybe he was talking about playing in 3/4 time?
You can't use down strokes on crotchets in every song... depends on the tempo. That's a weird advice.
Did he talk about a song you should play like that?
Your teacher doesn't use alternate picking? James Hetfield mainly uses down strokes because he didn't know alternate picking so it's still possible to play like that but... it makes it a lot harder.
Quote by Chikao42
Well... Depends down you look at it.

You could go:

V V V V
1 2 3 4

Then as you get into smaller notations

V ^ V ^ V ^ V
1 + 2 + 3 + 4

And keep going like that.

But the reason he's given makes him a ****ing retard xD

Yeah i also thought about that, but it depends a lot on the tempo as well...
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
My teacher taught me to use alternate picking when the note falls inbetween the beat eg. a quaver, but ONLY then. Crotchets are simply down stroke, and he tells me off when i use alternate picking accidentally because ive practiced with it for 3 months, one hour a day -.-
It doesn't really matter at all
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
yeah, if you can play the song comfortabley and accurately, it should'nt matter, if he was telling you to use only downstrokes on something like technical difficulties, then you should be worried.

i think he's just trying to teach you how HE plays, theres nothing wrong with that, but if your comfortable then he should'nt tell you off at awl.
Quote by Mathamology
One day that guy is gonna lose a whole arm to that blender

and that shall be the day I laugh the hardest
Only thing I use down strokes on is when I'm playing power chords.Even then alternate picking is so natural for me that I tend it to use it without thinking.
get a new teacher. or try to explain to him that thats ur style of playing and its how ur gonna play.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I, sir, salute you!

Epiphone sg
behringer gmx1200h
MY MINI V BUILD!!!
Quote by Dimster Ds
It doesn't really matter at all

Yes, it does...at fast tempos...

Keep on alternate picking, and if he gives you any more bull**** advice, get a new teacher.
Are you sure he's not just telling you to work on them so much right now? I mean, he might want you to get use to what you're doing now before you go onto alternate picking, that'd make sense.
I can see where he's coming from but to be honest it's not advice I'd give anyone.

He's obviously thinking that you can use the pick strokes to develop a string rhythmic foundation but I think that your sense of rhythm should be independant of what you're actually playing.

He's not an idiot completely but it's probably not the best way to go about developing rhythm. Talk to him about it and explain what you think; if he doesn't take it on board then he's a bad teacher and you need another one but if he takes what you say seriously he's a keeper.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by evening_crow
He's an idiot...

About the only time when you don't want to use alt picking is when you're doing arpeggios or something like that... in which case you'll be better off using economy/sweep picking.
I don't agree with that. I use alternate picking for all arpeggios on the way up, and a combination of alternate and sweep picking on the way back down. It's just a question of working out your left hand positions. Trust me, it works, and you don't have to use hammer-ons or pull-offs.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Brilliant...
Quote by Souls United
Yes, it does...at fast tempos...

Keep on alternate picking, and if he gives you any more bull**** advice, get a new teacher.

I doubt that he's going to be playing at a tempo where quarter notes are impossible to downpick.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Can you play it like he says? You should be able to play it every which way. It's been two months. Listen to your teacher.
Last edited by Grown at Feb 23, 2009,
i think u should do down strokes in front of him so u don't piss him off but on your own u should keep practicing alternate picking cuz youll need it
I'd say listen to him, he's probably not an idiot. It really depends on what type of music you're playing, and in many cases only downpicking is MUCH more consistent. If the music is written as downstrokes then play it that way. It's only two months, I'm pretty sure there's no necessity to use alternate picking.

If he's telling you only to do it on crochets, then he's probably right on a rhythmic sense. You get a much better beat, and for confusing rhythms it makes it easier.

Dunlop 535Q Wah, Ibanez TS-9, EHX LBM
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25
MXR 6-band EQ, Boss NS-2, Boss PS-5, MXR Phase 90, MXR Carbon Copy

GAS: Micro POG

Quote by Zugunruhe
this was the funniest thing ive seen in the pit for weeks.

^about me
He's an idiot. If you can play at that speed using either alternate of down-picking, just do whichever you like.

^To the guy above me, having sloppy timing while alternate picking slowly isn't a reason to not do it. That should only encourage you to practice it even more.
Last edited by leephan at Feb 24, 2009,
Your teacher's an idiot.

Can't say I use alternate picking very much myself, but to say that it'll stiffen up your playing is bollocks. Seriously, get a new teacher.