I want to upgrade to a marshall JCM2000 dsl 100W head and cab.
Not knowing much about attenuators I want to know, Is it possible (or practical) to install an attenuator so that I can switch between 100W RMS output and, say 5W RMS output so I can play large gigs and practice in my house without blowing my roof off?
Buy an expensive pillow then.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
The Weber is about the cheapest attenuator you can buy. I'd look into Ho's attenuator though, they're currently the best on the market. But they're expensive..

Don't go cheap on attenuators, poor ones that don't work well can damage your amp.

Or you can go for the DSL50, not really any less loud, but less headroom and will have the power tubes working more at lower volumes.
The Weber is about the cheapest attenuator you can buy. I'd look into Ho's attenuator though, they're currently the best on the market. But they're expensive..

+1 I met Ho at his shop in Vancouver a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed. He'll take the time to tweak your attenuator with the various goodies your playing needs require.

Most attenuators sound progressively worse the more you attenuate tone -- they are designed to take a ridiculously loud amp and make it merely a really loud amp. From what little experience I have with them (I'm new to them, too), most don't sound very good at bedroom volumes. Ho's, however, uses a SS power amp to re-amp your signal after attenuation -- he argues that this prevents the tone loss other technologies experience.

I need to go back to Ho's & give it another listen before I pull the trigger, but I was pleased with my first exposure to his attenuator.