Quote by Deliriumbassist
Because people are dicks.

/thread
ohai little sig.
They feel clever for discovering a band before anyone else. They were the first person they know to discover their greatness, and that makes the discoverer great too.
Because it's nice to see a band you like become big? Because it suggests that you have the ability to spot who has star potential?
It's just nice to watch a band develop over time and see their hard effort paying off. I for one was listening to DragonForce when then were using the moniker DragonHearts.

I don't care for their music anymore though.
Sometimes I get posessive over bands that I've liked for a long time.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
To be nice about it, smb's right.
To be pissy about it, these people want to feel like they're the only ones in the world with a right to like bands like Nirvana. Personally I think getting others into bands that I like is a better feeling than acting like I made the band.
I guess it shows ur a true fan of them...
There are many bands which go unnoticed but when they are discovered, people go f*ckin crazy on them!
Quote by dan ramP
RSOB and Gavs must have a great relationship to be able to sleep around so much
Quote by RSOB Bass
Yeah, it's pretty flexible. Like gavz.

Likes to play thread games, also!

*[/dead]*
Sometimes I guess people just don't want to look like they only listen to them because they are 'cool'.

Like people will pretend to be hardcore fans of a band, even if they only know one song. And I suppose those people don't want to be lumped in with that crowd.
The answer to most questions starting with "Why is it cool to ... ?" is "Because people are stupid."
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by timo1
Eg
Some guy: Nevermind was a cool album
Other guy: OMG,you suck, I knew Nirvana before Nevermind,therefore I am superior to you

Well, Other Guy is an idiot because nobody knew about Nirvana unless they were from Aberdeen/Seattle, Washington or a student at a college where the local college station would play their early songs from the Bleach album.

haha
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Aug 15, 2008,
I always loved when someone would tell me Nirvana was cool before they got so popular.

But, none of them had ever seemed to heard anything from Bleach.
Quote by evening_crow
Well, Some Guy is an idiot because nobody knew about Nirvana unless they were from Aberdeen/Seattle, Washington or a student at a college where the local college station would play their early songs from the Bleach album.

haha

Or unless they were on Sub Pop's mailing list, or saw them touring.. etc. The guitarist from Mastodon got a copy of Bleach before Nevermind even came out. So partial phail.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by evening_crow
Well, Some Guy is an idiot because nobody knew about Nirvana unless they were from Aberdeen/Seattle, Washington or a student at a college where the local college station would play their early songs from the Bleach album.

haha
Impressive stupidity.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I always loved when someone would tell me Nirvana was cool before they got so popular.

Or unless they were on Sub Pop's mailing list, or saw them touring.. etc. The guitarist from Mastodon got a copy of Bleach before Nevermind even came out. So partial phail.

You know...i actually have Bleach on my alarm clock so that "Blew" wakes me up every morning.

Well, that used to be when i was in school since i had to wake up early.

Quote by Jack Off Jill

Lol... i'm talking about the average person. Of course it's very likely that ppl working for the industry will know about them, and what are the odds of that? Also, take into consideration that the average age in UG is probably around 17... so i highly doubt their friends that "knew" them before Nevermind are over 30.

Jeeze guys...

EDIT: also, i think a lot of the ppl that were on their mailing list were from around the area.

Last edited by evening_crow at Aug 15, 2008,
Quote by evening_crow
You know...i actually have Bleach on my alarm clock so that "Blew" wakes me up every morning.

Well, that used to be when i was in school since i had to wake up early.

I would have had "School" merely because it is a better song and because it is more fitting.
Quote by evening_crow
Lol... i'm talking about the average person. Of course it's very likely that ppl working for the industry will know about them, and what are the odds of that? Also, take into consideration that the average age in UG is probably around 17... so i highly doubt their friends that "knew" them before Nevermind are over 30.

Jeeze guys...

What's his name from Mastodon wasn't part of the industry before Nevermind came out. As for me, I do have several friends who are over thirty. And they were fans of bands like the Fluid, so I get the feeling that they probably did know who Nirvana was before Nevermind came out.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by evening_crow

Jeeze guys...

EDIT: also, i think a lot of the ppl that were on their mailing list were from around the area.
It sold over 30,000 copies. Plenty of people had heard of them for a new band, and a band that frankly weren't very good at that time.
imagine this, you get a new awesome T-shirt or something before anyone else you knew had ever seen it. so you like this t-shirt, but then there starts to be commercials for it, and half the school you are in gets the same shirt as you.

you would either a.) want people to know you had it first, or b.) just stop wearing it

same idea
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I would have had "School" merely because it is a better song and because it is more fitting.

What's his name from Mastodon wasn't part of the industry before Nevermind came out. As for me, I do have several friends who are over thirty. And they were fans of bands like the Fluid, so I get the feeling that they probably did know who Nirvana was before Nevermind came out.

Nah, i liked "Blew" cuz of the low sound of the bass... you know, i didn't wanna wake up with loud drums or feedback.

Quote by Aikoe
imagine this, you get a new awesome T-shirt or something before anyone else you knew had ever seen it. so you like this t-shirt, but then there starts to be commercials for it, and half the school you are in gets the same shirt as you.

you would either a.) want people to know you had it first, or b.) just stop wearing it

same idea

or c) don't give a sh*t and get on with your life?
Because it makes you feel like you are something.
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Quote by af_the_fragile
Cuz it makes you feel like an elitist.

Just like everyone hating on me

Quote by Deliriumbassist
or c) don't give a sh*t and get on with your life?

or d) Realize that Nirvana sucks and Kurt Cobain shot himself in the face because he knew this.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by Aikoe

same idea

good way of putting it.
Quote by crackhutch
or d) Realize that Nirvana sucks and Kurt Cobain Courtney Love shot him in the face because she knew this.

Fi-
*gets shot*
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
gotta say that when i was in school many years ago. i was listening to RATM's bullet in the head on limited ed vinal, and rainbow and led zep when i was still in primary school, (like 7-9) and all my mates where listening to pop **** and saying that i was listen to crap music, then we got to secondry school and they all started listening to one minute silence and system of a down, and rage and all that stuff and where like YEAH IT ROCKS!!! i felt like they were fakes and it pissed me off................take from that what u will....
Its just because if someone likes a band AFTER they get big, the assumption is that they like them JUST because everyone else likes them, not because of the musical talent, which was your only reason for liking them.

This is what makes it hard to get into a band everyone else has been goin crazy about...cuz the "real" fans will reject you like a busted VHS.
The last thing I want a band I've discovered is to have a song in guitar hero or rockband because then every six year is going to listen to my band.
Just remember, at the end of the game, the king and the pawn go in the same box
firstly they feel a sense of entitlement, cos they think if it were not for their support the band would not have gotten big/mainstream, and you would not have heard of them. So they think you OWE THEM for indirectly allowing you to know about the band.

They also feel that they are a better/bigger fan for supporting a band when it needed the most support.Hence they also feel the band OWES them.
Last edited by petrina_678 at Aug 15, 2008,
I knwo it's lame I dunno why people are generally like that. It's odd. It's like kids going "I had it before you so back off I deserve it more"

I hav eknown bands before they were big and now I dont like em, but there were fans out there that have known them only recently and love em more than I ever did. And vice versa.
Signed.
Well I am a big fan of Death Cab For Cutie have been since there first stuff. And when Narrow Stairs came out they got some fairly big attention. And a lot of people freaked saying how they sold out blah blah blah etc. I was just happy they were getting more fans. I don't get why people can't be happy when a band they like gets big.
christopher clumbos discoverd america, I discoverd america when I was 3 and yet I'm not famous for it

seriously though, people like to make themselves feel speacial.
Because if you like them when they get popular you're automatically jumping on the bandwagon.

A la Greenday