Hi guys,

A few months ago i got an M-Audio Fast Track, and lately recorded a few tracks.
I'm reasonably happy with the results, but would like some advice on how to improve them.

I'm plugging directly into the Fast Track with my guitar and using the GT Player Express software that came with it, occasionally i add my EQ pedal, Fuzz Pedal, Or Wah pedal into the line, I'm recording all this using Reaper.
Also for Bass and Drums im using sound fonts through fruity loops, and exporting to mp3.

I was just wanting some advice, comments or hints on how to improve my overall quality.

Some Recordings are in my profile.
The best advice I can give you is

Crap in = Crap out

It's a general rule I like to follow when working with audio and video. Its actually quite hard to correct audio which is why most people spend a lot of time getting mics setup just right and using higher end gear.

The Fast Track USB is a small interface similar to the Toneports. IMO they are not great but work for ideas and such. The preamps and AD converters are not best so you cant really get a great sound.

Also you are using software to model FX and amps which really doesn't sound great.
Software such as Amplitube are a little better but you have to pay more for them and even still...its a modeling software which is never as good as a real pedal or amp.

Now I'm not telling you to go out and spend thousands of dollars on gear. I'm just letting you know the gear and software you currently have isn't the best and may limit you a little. Even with a high end rig you don't know much about the sequencer and hardware yet to get the best sound out of it.

edit:
yea +1 on using monitors
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 15, 2008,
It's also hard to mix without proper monitors.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Thanks for the advice,

So are you saying i cant do anything to upgrade my quality unless i scrap the fast-track?
Or would getting an sm57 (or something similar) be wise to do and take full advantage of my tube amp?

Quote by Guitar-God-Elf
Thanks for the advice,

So are you saying i cant do anything to upgrade my quality unless i scrap the fast-track?
Or would getting an sm57 (or something similar) be wise to do and take full advantage of my tube amp?

an SM57 and a better interface/preamp and a good space to record in
Well, you could get better software amps, or start looking at the real thing (Peavey Valvekings are wonderful for the price) and getting an SM57. Getting a better interface won't really help that much...you're just using the DI box in the Fasttrack, and it isn't really going to get much better unless you get a high quality box and plug that in (Radial and Whirlwind are the top names), and that again assumes you have good amps to work with.

There's always something lost when going for modeling. You can also look for cabinet/microphone/room simulation algorithms that are created by users to simulate the output of a real amp (the name escapes me) that can really add realism to your tone.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101