I was just wondering how often you should change the strings on a guitar?
I've had my guitar for about a month, but I don't know how often I should change them.

Cheers
I tend to change mine once a month, and 2 days before a gig
ohai little sig.
I just leave them on until they get rusty, feel uncomfortable, sound bad or one of them snaps. There's no need to change them if they're perfectly fine.
I change mine whenever I break a string basically, which is about once a month.
The religious myth is the most powerful device ever created, and serves as the psychological soil upon which other myths can flourish.
when they started losing there tuning / feel crap / dont sound as nice

no need wasting money on fresh strings if you havent worn them thru
some people change em every month, every two months, ect

i change em only when i feel like i really need to, which most of the time happens about once every six months, or once a year :/

you'll know, the strings will just feel dull, sound dull, maybe rusty, have blemishes
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
I change stings when I feel they don't feel as slick. I see rust. They don't hold their tune. One snaps and I haven't changed the others in a while.

I'd change more often but my guitar has a floating trem and it's a pain in the ass to change strings.

Average about 3-4 months for me.
Quote by soul_taker
I change stings when I feel they don't feel as slick. I see rust. They don't hold their tune. One snaps and I haven't changed the others in a while.

I'd change more often but my guitar has a floating trem and it's a pain in the ass to change strings.

Average about 3-4 months for me.

Floating trem?

I wouldnt know about holding tune either, I only tune mine once a week if that, guess I should probably check it more often.

I guess the feeling uncomfortable thing you can only know when you've changed the strings before and know how it feels, right?

But come to think of it, I can already see rust on them, might not be as good quality because they're stock strings? I don't know..
The big thing is a change in timbre, your strings will sound less bright and articulate as they wear in. As a beginner, it's hard to really hear the difference, especially as it sets in gradually over a month or two of conisitant play.

Good advice is: change them when they don't sound good anymore,

But as a beginner, I'd say you change them every two to three months if you are playing regularly. After you get an ear for dead strings, you'll probably want to change them slightly more often than that, just because they'll feel and sound better to play.

*Note--string wear depends on how much you play, how well you take care of your strings, environment, how clean your hands are, etc. There are a lot of factors so it's kind of difficult to have a set amount of time to change them. A lot of big acts change their strings before each show, a few like the sound they get from pretty much letting the strings die. It all comes down to sound (and maybe feel a bit too).

Hope that wordy response is helpful.
Ah thats perfect thanks

Guess I'll give them another month and get them changed