Poll: get the car?
Poll Options
View poll results: get the car?
hell yeah man, get that thing.
46 77%
nope, too unsafe. insurance is too high. ull hurt urself.
14 23%
Voters: 60.
Page 1 of 2
saw it for sale for a thousand bucks. i want it, its so cheap, and so beautiful... it sounds and looks so good.. but thing is, its a V8. it has a t-top, many new parts, new tires, battery, etc. now im just using this car from getting to spot a to spot b. im responsable, im not gunna go speeding with it or anything.. and im a reasonable new driver, ive been on the road for about a year now.

so my question is, do u think this car is reasonable for a first?

this is the car, taken from a pic in wiki. same model, year, and color.
except the car im gunna get, its had work done to it, new mufflers and custom hood too. my god...

edit: oh yeah, 150 K miles. and the engine is 305 to 350. im not sure if its different from a v8, im not soo farmiliar with this stuff.
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
Last edited by itsxsteves at Aug 15, 2008,
dont care about gas, im only using it to get from point a to point b, not takin any road trips or anything..
and besides, i can prolly do something to make it alittle more efficient.

edit: @ smb, how so?

▼ but he is ▼
You don't really care about our opinion; you're going to buy the car anyway.

You're just showing off.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Hmmm, the fuel, insurance and upkeep costs on that car will be pretty damn expensive, and it wont be that reliable. Oh, and it's beige, so thats a major letdown.

But hey, if it's just for A to B stuff, you may as well.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Quote by Wulphy
You don't really care about our opinion; you're going to buy the car anyway.

You're just showing off.

actually, no.
i couldnt find **** about the car, like no specs or anything.
wiki barely gave me anything.. i actually wanna kno if u guys think its unreasonable for a first car..

edit: the owners said it is very reliable. id consider a paint job as well as new rims

▼ but he is ▼
I hate that years body style.

But anyway, Firebirds break down alot.. so you will spend a bit on constant repairs just so you know. Pontiacs are so awesome for that.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by itsxsteves
@ smb, how so?
Everything about it is going to be more expensive than you expect. Tyres, parts, fuel, insurance etc.

You'd be better off with something more practical.
Don't listen to these guys. I have an '87 Chevy truck and all I did was some exhaust work and tune ups like changing spark plugs, oil, and so on. The gas mileage isn't too bad. By the way, a 305 and a 350 are both V-8 engines. Why is it so cheap? You have to be careful when you see a car with stuff like "new parts" that has "had work done" but at the same time is really cheap.
Pissed.
Quote by Unofficial
Don't listen to these guys. I have an '87 Chevy truck and all I did was some exhaust work and tune ups like changing spark plugs, oil, and so on. The gas mileage isn't too bad. By the way, a 305 and a 350 are both V-8 engines. Why is it so cheap? You have to be careful when you see a car with stuff like "new parts" that has "had work done" but at the same time is really cheap.

it didnt say anything like that, i was riding my bike past the car on the way back from my gf's, so i stopped in and he told me about it
he revved the engine, its powerful, im def gunna have to test drive it first tho..

edit: oh! and i like ur sig alot

▼ but he is ▼
Quote by Unofficial
Don't listen to these guys. I have an '87 Chevy truck and all I did was some exhaust work and tune ups like changing spark plugs, oil, and so on. The gas mileage isn't too bad.

****... I drive a ****ing V8 Chevy Silverado right now... "gas mileage isn't bad" my ass. I blow 20 bucks a day just to go to and from work.
If it can talk then YES!!!
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by nebiru
****... I drive a ****ing V8 Chevy Silverado right now... "gas mileage isn't bad" my ass. I blow 20 bucks a day just to go to and from work.

is the average v8 that bad?
i mean, its a light car. he showed me wats under teh hood, it consists of one bad ass air filter, an engine cooling fan, and an engine.

▼ but he is ▼
^^ Trucks are effin heavy, hence the gas money

F*ck these People, my first car was a 92 Camaro and i love it (Still have it, but not my main car.)

And lol at "It's a V8," what the hell else would you want with a firebird

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave
I dont wanna die, Im a god, why cant I live on?
When the life giver dies, all around is laid to waste.
And in my last hour,
Im a slave to the power of death

Member Of The Jagermeister Fan Club
Quote by itsxsteves
is the average v8 that bad?
i mean, its a light car. he showed me wats under teh hood, it consists of one bad ass air filter, an engine cooling fan, and an engine.

That car won't be as bad as my truck as my truck is a Z-74 long wheel base.. so its heavy as hell. But.. that car is also old so that means it will burn a little more gas than a newer one. You will probably average about 20mpg.
Quote by iantheman
get yourself a rollswagon

Thats the greatest thing I've ever seen!
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
please annoying 08ers, stop spamming this thread.

▼ but he is ▼
Quote by nebiru

Well gee, we obviously have different trucks you idiot. I got better flowing exhaust, a new o2 sensor, and some other little things that help out gas mileage, so don't act like I don't know what I'm talking about because your MPG sucks and we both have a V8.
Pissed.
Quote by Unofficial
Well gee, we obviously have different trucks you idiot. I got better flowing exhaust, a new o2 sensor, and some other little things that help out gas mileage, so don't act like I don't know what I'm talking about because your MPG sucks and we both have a V8.

LOL. but im assuming u think my MPG is gunna be somewhere around 20, also?

▼ but he is ▼
a 305 and a 350 are just different sizes of V8s. A 305 is very reliable but the 350 has much more options to upgrade. The 350 is Chevy's most popular engine.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by crackhutch
a 305 and a 350 are just different sizes of V8s. A 305 is very reliable but the 350 has much more options to upgrade. The 350 is Chevy's most popular engine.

thanks for clearing that up. so when he said 305 to 350 he was saying it had a 305 but he put a new more powerful engine in it? alright! xD

▼ but he is ▼
Quote by itsxsteves
LOL. but im assuming u think my MPG is gunna be somewhere around 20, also?

Yeah, I would say anywhere from 18-22 MPG. Are you mechanically inclined? Because if you are or if you have family that is, I would change the oil, spark plugs, and just do an engine check up or tune up.
Pissed.
Quote by itsxsteves
thanks for clearing that up. so when he said 305 to 350 he was saying it had a 305 but he put a new more powerful engine in it? alright! xD

I'm not surprised he took the 305 out. I currently have a 305 TBI (Throttle Body Intake) in my truck, and they're not a popular motor. I don't know what the other guy was talking about, their reputation isn't good. Mine actually burns a little bit of oil. I rebuilt a 350 this summer and it's actually going in today. 305 to 350 is a very popular swap.

By the way, do you know if it has a throttle body or a carburetor? If you know the model I could tell you.
Pissed.
Last edited by Unofficial at Aug 15, 2008,
Quote by itsxsteves

Actually, it's probably a 305 block bored out to a 350 and had the pistons/heads replaced. What they do when they bore it out is basically just drill the cylinders larger in order to put bigger pistons and create more horsepower. The biggest problem with that, if he bored it from a 305 to a 350, the cylinder walls won't be nearly as thick as they were before, causing long term problems if driven rough. I would recommend asking him if that's what he did, and if it is, and you still want the car, don't beat the **** out of it, don't add nitrous, and don't add a supercharger or turbocharger.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by Unofficial

WELL GEE I might have a bigger engine too. Your ****ty exhaust and an O2 sensor aren't gonna give you impressive jumps in fuel economy.
Quote by crackhutch
Actually, it's probably a 305 block bored out to a 350 and had the pistons/heads replaced. What they do when they bore it out is basically just drill the cylinders larger in order to put bigger pistons and create more horsepower. The biggest problem with that, if he bored it from a 305 to a 350, the cylinder walls won't be nearly as thick as they were before, causing long term problems if driven rough. I would recommend asking him if that's what he did, and if it is, and you still want the car, don't beat the **** out of it, don't add nitrous, and don't add a supercharger or turbocharger.

I would think that it would be impossible to bore the cylinders out to 350. On a 305 block, there isn't enough room to bore the cylinders out that much. Maybe on a Mopar engine, but not on a small block chevy.
Pissed.
Quote by nebiru
WELL GEE I might have a bigger engine too. Your ****ty exhaust and an O2 sensor aren't gonna give you impressive jumps in fuel economy.

I never said "big jumps" I said little things. And why the insulting? I didn't talk smack about your truck, why would you do it to me?
Pissed.
Quote by Unofficial
I'm not surprised he took the 305 out. I currently have a 305 TBI (Throttle Body Intake) in my truck, and they're not a popular motor. I don't know what the other guy was talking about, their reputation isn't good. Mine actually burns a little bit of oil. I rebuilt a 350 this summer and it's actually going in today. 305 to 350 is a very popular swap.

By the way, do you know if it has a throttle body or a carburetor? If you know the model I could tell you.

carburetor, i believe he said. its new too.

▼ but he is ▼
Quote by Unofficial
I would think that it would be impossible to bore the cylinders out to 350. On a 305 block, there isn't enough room to bore the cylinders out that much. Maybe on a Mopar engine, but not on a small block chevy.

I'm just judging by the way he said it. I don't know a whole lot about particular engines, just engines/drivetrain in general. I have heard of a 305 bored to a 341 though, it blew about a week after he did it.
Quote by Unofficial
I never said "big jumps" I said little things. And why the insulting? I didn't talk smack about your truck, why would you do it to me?

Sorry..

I also have a Z74 so its heavy as hell. I am assuming that yours is probably a single cab shortbed since it is an 80's model. That is also another reason why you would get better mileage than me.
i sure do have alot to learn about cars...

▼ but he is ▼
Quote by itsxsteves

i actually wanna kno if u guys think its unreasonable for a first car..

edit: the owners said it is very reliable. id consider a paint job as well as new rims

i dont think any first car is that unreasonable. most people just get any car they can afford, so if thats what you can afford, and you want it, go ahead and get it.

did you drive it at all? id suggest taking it out for a drive at least 2-3 times before you actually buy it. dont just trust that there is nothing wrong with it.
Insuring that thing is going to be a bitch.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by itsxsteves
the owners said it is very reliable

Well of course they're gonna.
You think they're gonna say "Well actually it's a pile of shit"

Its a waste of money, don't be a douche!
Quote by wiggyisgreat
Slooj, I'd bang you so hard.

••The Robin Trower Fans Group••
PM me to join!
You know, he could learn to do simple repairs himself and save a fair bitta cash (and know alot more for his next car).
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Page 1 of 2