I have been shopping around for some guitars. I think I have outgrown my Ibanez GAX30BK.

For a beginner who has only been playing about 2 months, what would be the major differences between these guitars as a next purchase an dhow do you feel they suit a beginner in my timeframe? I will be playing more metal, hard rock stuff.

Ibanez S470DXQM

Ibanez S5470F

Other than about $700 in price difference.

Thanks guys and sorry for the new guitar type thread, but if I don't have to pay an extra $700, I won't.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Quote by Rio38
I have been shopping around for some guitars. I think I have outgrown my Ibanez GAX30BK.

For a beginner who has only been playing about 2 months, what would be the major differences between these guitars as a next purchase an dhow do you feel they suit a beginner in my timeframe? I will be playing more metal, hard rock stuff.

Ibanez S470DXQM

Ibanez S5470F

Other than about $700 in price difference.

Thanks guys and sorry for the new guitar type thread, but if I don't have to pay an extra $700, I won't.

Have you played them yet? I would suggest just giving them a try and you'll feel for yourself what's best. Shop around too! Don't limit yourself
The prestige (S5470F) has better pick ups, a better neck, better build quality, a better bridge. It's just better all around. If I were you, I wouldn't jump to the prestige right away. The other one is a very good guitar. But its up to you. Try them out is the best thing you can do
I find it difficult to believe you've outgrown your guitar in 2 months.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by ManInAClownSuit

probably just got frustrated with a cheap guitar, rather than outgrowing it
Quote by ManInAClownSuit

I guess "outgrown" was a bad term. How about, "I am a man and need more toys"?
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
well, i'm going to throw out the popular question, what amp do you have? i'd say that is very important if you are looking to spend this much money on a guitar.
Guitars:
PRS SE Custom 24
Partscaster
MIM Tele
Gear:
Em Drive Clone (w/ Klon buffer) > Paramount Clone > OCD > Westminster Effects Knox 800 > ISP Decimator > m5 > Nova Repeater > Trinity T2 > W.E. Sturgeon Reverb > AC15C1
do you really need new gear after 2 months? the guitar you have isn't thaaat bad. what amp are you playing it through (lol, everyone asks this)?
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Yep, I guess just want something better. I am playing through an Ibanez 15 watt practice amp.

So the GAX30 isn't terrible after all?
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
well, its not superb but its decent for a first guitar
if the playability of it is awful then you might want to look at new guitars
if its the tone that you don't like, you'll probably benefit more from a better amp
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Thanks guys, I guess I'm just throwing around ideas. I like to get new toys, even though I can't afford them.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
the best advice i could give you is to not limit yourself to a brand name....not that ibanez is a bad guitar...but if your going to make this kind of investment..make sure you play everything in your price range...all guitars feel different...also a new amp would greatly affect your sound and make you want to play more...either way..good luck finding your new guitar
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
The prestige series is top of the line for Ibanez and mostly is made in Japan. That means excellent craftsmanship, wood selection and electronic.
The S470 is mostly made in korea I think. But it does not mean it's any bad guitar. While it's not as good crafted (and not as much at cost) it still can hold it own again any other guitars.

Those two aside. Question is, do you really need to have such advanced guitar only after two months of playing? My advice is that you should familiar yourself with playing the guitar first before learn to messing around with things such as whammy bar and expensive stuffs.

Get yourself a non-tremolo guitar. And don't limit only to Ibanez because the majority from this forum recommend so. Try Schecter, ESP / LTD / EDWARDS, Hagstrom, Gibson / Epiphone, Agile etc... you never know what you might like
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Aug 15, 2008,
If you have only been playing for 2 months then id be learning more chords and scales instead of wanting a new guitar. But as you say everyone wants a new gutiar. Couple of things to remember, tremolo bridges are a nightmare and (even thow i want a dean ml) dont limit yourself to ibanez, i hate fanboys

........good luck anyway
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
I wouldn't get a new guitar yet - it's too soon. I would get a new amp though, you could do much better for not too much money. Something like a Roland Cube 30X or Vox Valvetronix AD30VT would give you a better sound, loads more tonal options, some effects to muck around with and also satisfy your need for a new toy.

Hold off buying a guitar until you've got a a bit of competence and also a better idea of your style and what you're actually going to want from your next guitar. There's np point getting something with a floating bridge yet, it'd do your head in at this stage.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I wouldn't get a new guitar yet - it's too soon. I would get a new amp though, you could do much better for not too much money. Something like a Roland Cube 30X or Vox Valvetronix AD30VT would give you a better sound, loads more tonal options, some effects to muck around with and also satisfy your need for a new toy.

Hold off buying a guitar until you've got a a bit of competence and also a better idea of your style and what you're actually going to want from your next guitar. There's np point getting something with a floating bridge yet, it'd do your head in at this stage.

Thanks for the straightforward advice guys. I will wait on the guitar, but may get the Vox amp. I was actually looking at that one anyway. I really do need to get better, and now my wife can say she was right that I shouldn't get a new one so soon. I hate when she is right.

I'll learn more and get more comfortable with my strengths, weaknesses and style.

Edit: I barely get to use teh amp anyway. Most of my practice is scales, chords, and some small songs/riffs I have been practicing without the amp. When I do use the amp, it is with headphones anyway. I hate my life.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
She must go out sometimes?

The Vox will still sound good with headphones - probably 10 times better than your current amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
She must go out sometimes?

The Vox will still sound good with headphones - probably 10 times better than your current amp.

Yep, I occasionally get to jam with the volume up. I live for those moments.

My problem is that I am too embarrassed right now to play in front of her because I am just learning. I am my own worst critic. She doesn't mind, I just am uncomfortable.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Yep! Vox Valvetronic for the fuking win!
30 Watt will be more than enough for small gig.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by Rio38
Yep, I occasionally get to jam with the volume up. I live for those moments.

My problem is that I am too embarrassed right now to play in front of her because I am just learning. I am my own worst critic. She doesn't mind, I just am uncomfortable.

You should come to an arrangement - you'll play in front of her if she'll get undressed with the light on
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc