So as most of you know, Best Buy's new stores and some stores already opened are building actual musical departments. This of course is terrible news for local shops. I figured that the "musical instruments" department would just be a pathetic excuse for a shop, maybe stocking some low end gibsons or yamahas.

Today, I was talking to my General Manager, who is transferring to the new Best Buy they are opening in October. He said that it was going to be legit, having high end equipment and he said the markup would be HUGE and we would get a HUGE discount (He said that it looks like it could actually be close to 40-50%) on some items. I checked out BBY.com and they actually have high end Fender strats which is great news for me! I just want to know if anyone who works at a Best Buy with the new musical instrument department can confirm this for me. How much is the actual discount?

EDIT: the way the discount works is:

Amount that Best Buy paid for it + 5% = employee discount

For example, if there was a $1,000 guitar and it cost Best Buy $500. I would get it for $525, if that helps.
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Last edited by WlCmToTheJungle at Aug 15, 2008,
Lucky.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by RPGoof
>he said the markup would be HUGE
Does that mean they are going to be overpriced?

Well, they are going to be the same price as MF, but think about the name "Gibson" for a second...
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
Well, they are going to be the same price as MF, but think about the name "Gibson" for a second...

haha
well at least there is a Best Buy closer to me than a Guitar Center... even though I hate Best Buy.
everything's always overpriced at Best Buy
Quote by BlackandSilver
Kill 'em All in St Anger with the help of the Master of Puppets. He can Ride the Lightning, creating a Death Magnetic.

Myspace
Quote by cheez1492
everything's always overpriced at Best Buy

I am not going to lie, it is. If you have ever wondered why "Dynex" cables are so expensive ($50 for a friggin 5 foot cable), it is the Best Buy brand. We get those cables dirt cheap. We usually pay about 10% of the price that any regular customer does. Never buy Dynex.
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle

EDIT: the way the discount works is:

For example, if there was a $1,000 guitar and it cost Best Buy $500. I would get it for $550, if that helps.

$525 that is...
It iS TEh eMptyZ0r
Quote by Lucarno
$525 that is...

yea, I havent been in school in 3 months....my mistake. I was thinking 10%...
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by Lucarno
$525 that is...

owned...
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
All the best buys where I live already have musical sections, and tbh, they are horrible.
Just a bunch of cheap Peavey and Line 6 guitars.
I didn't even know they made guitars.
Maybe it'll be different where you live.
I <3 Drugs.

The universe works on a math equation-
That never even ever really ends in the end-
Infinity spirals out creation.

Myspace
Tumblr
"Band"
Wow, that is nifty!
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

wtf is bestbuy anyway?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle

For example, if there was a $1,000 guitar and it cost Best Buy $500. I would get it for $525, if that helps.

that's 10% you mean 525. and that is awesome
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
The only high-end guitar on their website is fender, the rest are just a bunch of cheap-ass guitars. If this is what Best Buy has to offer, I've been let down.
LARGE TEXT
Quote by Holy.
The only high-end guitar on their website is fender, the rest are just a bunch of cheap-ass guitars. If this is what Best Buy has to offer, I've been let down.

ya the selection looks abysmal. then again i wouldn't mind a telecaster for like $600 as opposed to $1000
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
best buy is an electronics and home appliance store. they sell a lot of cds, movies, video games, computers, vacuum cleaners, washers, etc
TS, which Best Buy in St. Louis? I might try to get a job there!
Saint Louis Blues
OMGZOORZ HERE COMES THE SALES PRESSURE: :@

"nope, no sales pressure here"

o rly

srsly i hope that happens at least in my area because there are no good stores near me and maybe it will cause existing stores to have competitive prices.

dude i hope your not one of those creepy best buy guys who like follows people asking if they need help lmfao
Quote by The Picker
TS, which Best Buy in St. Louis? I might try to get a job there!

It is in Manchester at the corner of Manchester Road and Highway 141. It is about 20-30 minutes outside of the city. The actual building isn't even finished yet but I can already tell which one it is because of the weird shape.
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Last edited by WlCmToTheJungle at Aug 15, 2008,
Recommended threads