hi all,

i am new to the forum and firstly just wanted to say hi to everyone and hope to gain a lot of advice/experience from you all, i have been playing guitar for a couple of months now and can play several chords and have just started on scale progresions.
i am currently playing with a very cheap strat copy and was looking to upgrade soon to a better guitar, i was reading a guide on buying a new guitar and was very impressed with the washburn x40pro, however i am in the uk and i can't find anywhere that stocks these however i have come across retailers stocking the washburn x200pro, now reading the specs they both sound the same. are they??
the style of music i am aiming to play is metal, would this be ok?? or would others recommend something else??
Quote by tallica_fan_83
hi all,

i am new to the forum and firstly just wanted to say hi to everyone and hope to gain a lot of advice/experience from you all, i have been playing guitar for a couple of months now and can play several chords and have just started on scale progresions.
i am currently playing with a very cheap strat copy and was looking to upgrade soon to a better guitar, i was reading a guide on buying a new guitar and was very impressed with the washburn x40pro, however i am in the uk and i can't find anywhere that stocks these however i have come across retailers stocking the washburn x200pro, now reading the specs they both sound the same. are they??
the style of music i am aiming to play is metal, would this be ok?? or would others recommend something else??

I think your best bet is to go to a music store and just try some gear out. You'll feel which one is best for you. I would suggest not limiting your options to a certain brand/ type of guitar- you may find a sound in an instrument for your genre that you wouldn't expect. Keep an open mind and have fun finding new gear!
schecters-theyre good and reletively cheap, i know lots of people who use them and are happy with em and i got mine for little over half proce after shipping and a case off ebay
You've only been playing for a few months and you already want a new axe? No, you're not ready yet. Play for atleast a year longer before you even think about getting a new axe. It won't make any difference at this point because of your inexperince.
hey thanks for the quick response, i think by the sounds of it i need to get off my lazy ass(and the internet) and actually go to a shop and try a few and then if necessary shop around on the net for the best price. so does anyone recommend any shops?? i live in the north west of england, about 40 mins from chester, and about an hour from manchester. i've checked out dawsons online but they don't stock the washburns.
Independant shops are plentiful in the main cities (especially manchester)
They are have a larger choice of guitars on offer, with a lot more older guitars (still brand new) on sale. The staff are a lot more friendlier and helpful and its normally an amazing hoard of guitars they have in stock!
I recommend Music Ground in Manchester (Opposite the BBC on oxford road) if you are thinking of visiting

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
They are both very different guitars. The X40 Pro has Seymour Duncan 59 neck pickup and a Distortion bridge pickup, a Schaller Floyd Rose bridge, and the pickups can be coil-tapped. The X200 pro has the same neck pickup but it has a Custom custom in the bridge position, and also features a coil tap. The big difference is that it has a hardtail which is more practical, unless you like divebombs and squeals. Choose whatever you prefer.
Quote by Randy Bobandy
You've only been playing for a few months and you already want a new axe? No, you're not ready yet. Play for atleast a year longer before you even think about getting a new axe. It won't make any difference at this point because of your inexperince.

He should be allowed to get what he wants. He can already do some scales and progressions, so why shouldn't he get a new axe? If he enjoys it, he might as well.

Do you have a more concrete budget, TS?
anything up to sort of 3 or 4 hundred pounds, like i said originally i just bought a cheap (£70 package) strat copy because i'm one of those who'll go out and buy something and use it once so i thought i'd get a cheap one, see if i like it and then upgrade, which i'm ready to do.