I plan on buying a Marshall head soon. Is it necessary for me to get a Marshall speaker to get the most out of it? Or, will it even work with other speakers, without damaging either piece?

Possibly stupid question, but I should make sure.
it works with other speakers but they give a different sound (closed back as opposed to open back cabs) you should try a couple cabs with the same head just too see if you can find a sound you really like.
as long as the ohms match up for both the head and the speaker cab, you should be fine.

and please, tell me you're not getting a marshall MG stack.
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
you need speakers to go with the head or it wont work, in fact it will damage your amp terribly if you turn it on without being attached to a speaker cabinet.

also, what marshall head are you planning on getting? if its the mg you shouldn't get it.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
^turning it on without attaching it to a speaker will not damage it, you just won't hear anything
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I bet £10,000 that it's the MG100DFX.

I know they're ****...

Your money will help me in the future with other JVMs.
Last edited by Tom-sawyer at Aug 15, 2008,
Quote by Sam_Prillaman
^turning it on without attaching it to a speaker will not damage it, you just won't hear anything

wrong.

never turn on an amp head without a proper speaker cab hooked up to it. especially if it's a tube amp.

EDIT
Quote by Tom-sawyer
I know they're ****...

Your money will help me in the future with other JVMs.

does that mean you're getting the MG or the JVM?
My name is Charlie.

Gear
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Fender Deville 410
Electro-Harmonix USA Big Muff
Digitech Whammy IV
MXR Micro Amp
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Sam_Prillaman

Quote by lazlow325i
wrong.
I'm pretty sure solid state heads don't give a carp if nothing's connected, or the wrong thing is connected (impedance, etc).
These go to eleven...
Quote by Tom-sawyer
I am not getting an MG. I promise

Relief!

So, what are you getting (we all love a good *good* Marshall story)?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Most likely a product in the JVM series. Not sure exactly which one; I'll need to try them out first. If you like a specific JVM head over the other, I'll prioritize it.

Why JVM? I've heard (and seen practically) they 're the best for Metal.
Quote by Tom-sawyer
Most likely a product in the JVM series. Not sure exactly which one; I'll need to try them out first. If you like a specific JVM head over the other, I'll prioritize it.

dave mustaine uses one.
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
Quote by Tom-sawyer

Well, if you NEED it to be Marshall, and you play modern metal with a British voicing, then yeah.

But there are other metal amps out there, depending on what kind of metal tone you want.
You don't have to have it connected to a speaker, you take the speaker off to bias an amp, so by your theory correctly biasing an amp would kill it.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, if you NEED it to be Marshall, and you play modern metal with a British voicing, then yeah.

But there are other metal amps out there, depending on what kind of metal tone you want.

+1

i've only tried the 4 channel jvm. it was actually quite nice, but there are a lot of options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
mesa boogie son! if you want a good metal toned marshall, get the KK signature. yeah kerry sucks, but the amp doesn't.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Tom-sawyer

Try out a peavey 6505+ too

they are great too. Peavey has a bit more low end thump, but not the classic marshall tone.
07' Gibson LIMITED EDITION Classic w/Emg's (replaced with Blackouts)
Jackson RR3
Peavey 6505+ Head
CryBaby
Ibanez TS9DX Tube Screamer
ISP DECIMATOR
MXR-10 EQ

www.myspace.com/dispozal
By the way, I apologise unreservedly for assuming you bought the MG series.

That's the last time I use join date to guess someone's gear plans

Can i have my money back now?

(Consider this a free bump)
Quote by travd92
mesa boogie son! if you want a good metal toned marshall, get the KK signature. yeah kerry sucks, but the amp doesn't.

Well, I'm planning on trying out amps by Mesa Boogie, Orange, Peavey and of course Marshall.

Whatever I like best I'll come home with, though based on youtube vids of various gear, I think it'll be a JVM head.
The Cornford Hellcat might be worth a try, although its going to be extremely expensive if you're in the states mind you..