Having a hard time deciding between boss gt-10 and pod x3 live. Im swayed to the boss atm because it has a built in looper. Though ive heard older pods allow you to edit your amp sims and effects on your PC via usb, which would be really helpful to me, but i havent been able to dig up any info on this feature for the X3 live.

Any help?
The line 6 POD series use the software Line 6 Edit and Gear Box, which allow you to craft your tone using all sorts of effects on your computer without having to fiddle about with the actaual pod itself. Both bits of software work 'live' so as you change it on your computer it edits your tone, so you can play while changing settings on screen and hear exactly what your getting. Once done you can simply hit the upload button and it saves it on your POD for future use.

EDIT: That didn't really answer the question , when you go on the website it shows clearly that the software used for the original XT live is also compatible with the POD X3. Seeing as it's a major feature of the POD series i doubt much has changed.
Current Gear:

PRS Custom 24 (Whale Blue)
Jackson KVX10 (With SD Blackouts)
Line 6 POD XT Live
Last edited by SilentMoose at Aug 15, 2008,
As i don't use Gear Box a whole lot i can't say for sure, but from what i remember you can download a 'limited' version with fewer presets/extra amp models and what not. Although Line 6 Edit is free and i find it is much more helpful when creating tones. Gear Box includes other bits such as an inbuilt MP3 player for slowing songs and putting a metronome to them and what not.
Current Gear:

PRS Custom 24 (Whale Blue)
Jackson KVX10 (With SD Blackouts)
Line 6 POD XT Live
Quote by fly135
Gearbox is free and it's one of the best preset editors out there.

Gearbox isnt the best amp and FX modeling software out there...not even close.
Pods and Toneports are more for ideas IMO, their interfaces are not as good as $200 units.
Amplitube 2 is better than GB IMO

Anyways Gearbox is an amp/FX modeling program, You cant record with it.
Ableton live is the recording program that normally comes with Toneports and such, it is strictly a sequencer.

I dont think the X3 Live comes with any software TBH
Nor did my post say that. not even close.

I dont think the X3 Live comes with any software
Since I bought my X3 Live used I can't say what it comes with, but you can download Gearbox for free, and it's one of the best !!!! PRESET !!!! editors out there.
Last edited by fly135 at Aug 15, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
Pods and Toneports are more for ideas IMO, their interfaces are not as good as $200 units.
Amplitube 2 is better than GB IMO

Anyways Gearbox is an amp/FX modeling program, You cant record with it.
Ableton live is the recording program that normally comes with Toneports and such, it is strictly a sequencer.

I dont think the X3 Live comes with any software TBH

You're missing the point. Im asking if i can edit the features of the X3 live with my PC. Im not talking about a separate modelling program
I have been using Gearbox software last 9 month for my guitar recording , It is a very nice software. I really like to work on that.
Fly is correct, gearbox is a great 'preset editing' program. To be able to edit you sounds on the X# from your computer, you will need 2 line 6 programs. 1 - L6 Mokey, this will make sure you connections and software/hardware drivers are all up to date with the latest versions. 2 - L6 Gearbox, this is the actual editing program. It is great software and helps by being very 'visual' with the amps/effects it's modelling.
BOTH programs are FREE to download from the L6 website and very simply to use.

If you buy your X3 new, it also comes with POD Farm (download) to use within recording DAW's. though the X3 must be connected to the PC via usb for it to work.

hope this helps.

edit: i am not trying to push the X3 here, just listing the features as i own and use one myself.
Last edited by rgoring at Jun 29, 2010,
Plus the added fact that the Pod X3's sound way better then the GT-10's
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
not about the X3, but the BOSS also has a 3rd party patch editor.

not too experienecd in it cause i rather tweak while i play so i just use my GT10

GT-10FxFloorBoard is what its called
Registering the X3 gives you access to Pod Farm 2 (and 1 if you would like it), all of their additional model packs (metal shop, collector classics. fx junkie, power pack, bass expansion), as well as 60k plus Line6 and user made downloadable presets from the custom tone portion of their website. Granted, most of the presets are junk, but if you can find at least 100 or more that you like, that alone is worth the price of admission. Hell of a deal for $500 bucks.