Page 1 of 2
For UK forumites:

What do you think about Total Guitar?

I think its an OK mag...some good tabs...they like **** bands though...MCR ( ), but overall a pretty entertaining read and sometimes good gear reviews...

There are better out there though
Yeah, it is a good magazine, although a few things let it down, but overall its good.
The only magazine that has a LOT of tabs - and good ones too.
The guest lessons are great as well.
Good job I'm a subscriber - get it cheaper and with backing tracks
(hint: go to CD for this week and enter: timesup)

Guitarist magazine is good too, but not a lot of tabs or lessons.

I don't understand the purpose of this thread.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Aug 15, 2008,
Quote by Simsimius
Yeah, it is a good magazine, although a few things let it down, but overall its good.
The only magazine that has a LOT of tabs - and good ones too.
The guest lessons are great as well.
Good job I'm a subscriber - get it cheaper and with backing tracks
(hint: go to CD for this week and enter: timesup)

Guitarist magazine is good too, but not a lot of tabs or lessons.

I don't understand the purpose of this thread.

im a subscriber too . awesome magazine. xD
did you get that email about the subscriber's page not being in your magazine? i checked and mine was there...
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
They say that people who play jazz fusion have no friends!!

They also have ****ty album reviews and rate almost every peice of gear 4-5 out of 5.
Quote by Hoodoo Child

did you get that email about the subscriber's page not being in your magazine? i checked and mine was there...

Yeah I got that, I had mine in my mag - so maybe a few people are affected - OR there are some subscriber issues in sale in some stored by accident.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
I get Total Guitar and Guitar&Bass. They're both pretty different so I get a decent variety of magaziney goodness.

Would Go Gay For Grohl.
They think every single guitar is brilliant. So, yeah. I'm actually reading one just now infact.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I'm a suscriber, but I'm begining to prefer Guitarist.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
Haven't bought it in years since they started printing **** like MCR and Lost Prophets.
RULE BRITANNIA
I've stopped wasting my money on guitar mags.
If you were wise you'd do the same.
/Thread.
What I don't get is that people post them messages saying to tab this or that or whatever, when they can't be arsed to go onto UG and search themselves.
Quote by MoleMania
What I don't get is that people post them messages saying to tab this or that or whatever, when they can't be arsed to go onto UG and search themselves.

True.
But some online tabs can be greatly inaccurate.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
True.
But some online tabs can be greatly inaccurate.

Not on Ug's watch!!
I like my Guitar World thank you very much.

I've subscribed for 3 years now.
Quote by lp345
For UK forumites:

What do you think about Total Guitar?

I think its an OK mag...some good tabs...they like **** bands though...MCR ( ), but overall a pretty entertaining read and sometimes good gear reviews...

There are better out there though

see, youll hate me for saying this, but since they changed the style i thought that was the best of the new look. sure, mcr aint the best band, but its a good workout. the wolfmother (which basicly taught me a lot on rhtym) (but not spelling apparantly) and the billy talent.

i think theyve really started scraping the barrel with tabs. imo, very few good songs in the last 6 months.

Quote by Hoodoo Child

yup. its not in there. oh by the way.

in the letters page: richard with the acoustic...thats me.

check my profile for referance immage.
Quote by buckethead_jr
Crap album reviews.
Crap gear reviews.
Same bands in every issue.
Very little variety.

Guitar Techniques ftw.

Guitar Techniques has too much good stuff. I can't keep up with it.
Total Guitar should be called Total Metal Guitar
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
Total Guitar is good when you're just starting of.

Now I just get Guitar Techniques if I see something interesting in it .
Quote by Surfer Rosa
Total Guitar is good when you're just starting of.

Now I just get Guitar Techniques if I see something interesting in it .

also agreed. personally i focus more on bass now, but if i want to learn a track ill usually find it myself.

on a side note, the backing tracks without the guitar are good if you wanna learn the drum / bass lines.
Quote by cam_sampbell
Total Guitar should be called Total Metal and indie only Guitar

Fixed.
I love it, ive got a subscription.

But, theres far to much shred and metal involved now.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
I prrefer Guitarist. I've tried Total Guitar but tbh it seems to be a lot more metal/hard rock orientated, whereas guitarist covers more musical genres. And Total Guitar Has barely any Gear reviews and when they do theyre really short and bad.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
really ****ty bands tabbed, i haven't bought one for about 6 months, it used to be good, but now they seem to cater for emo's and indie kids
They have frequently wrong tabs, are afraid of giving gear reviews less than 4 out of 5 but most annoyingly put a large amount of pages into album reviews and band information. If I wanted to read that stuff I'd have brought MOJO instead!
I don't like how they seem to cater almost exclusively to either people who like metal (mainstream metal at least, i beleive i have seen Matt Heafy on about 4 covers now), or classic rock (acdc, etc), don't get me wrong, i like a wide variety of music (including MCR) but they don't put a wide variety of music styles in there, plus they don't focus on gear enough apart from when NAMM.

Either way it makes for a good read, although i remember when they brought out a sister mag that was pretty much exclusively on gear, it was much better but i can't remember the name and haven't seen it in any shops since i bought the last one, which was back in about 2004.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I used to find it helpful but now it's no help at all.

I'd stop buying it but I'm a subscriber and aren't entirely sure on how to cancel Lulz.

Ah well...I guess 12 pounds will be coming out of my bank for the rest of my life
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by slann101
in the letters page: richard with the acoustic...thats me.

check my profile for referance immage.

lol.
That's just weird. A UG'er in TG.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
I don't mind Total Guitar.
The worst music magazine is, in my opinion, Metal Hammer. It's so very tacky, with sections like, 'How metal are you?' and the 'Hardcore' section.

Guitar Techniques?
Groovy.
I find it ok. I think they concentrate a bit too much on metal bands.

GAS
Throbak Stonebender | Fulltone Deja Vibe | Catalinbread Semaphore
Quote by _Tim_
I've stopped wasting my money on guitar mags.
If you were wise you'd do the same.
/Thread.

+1

use to get it, i find it repeats its slef alot now.
Its crap and aimed at 12 year olds. Say no more. I dont even buy guitar mags, teaching myself is much easier
I enjoy some of the tabs and stuff - like when John 5 showed a few licks, and also, thanks to them, I learnt the pentatonic and understood wtf is alternate picking
I like Guitar Techniques more, there is more technical and interesting stuff in there. And they write about jazz and blues guitarists and not about metalcore stuff mostly.
I got a DVD from this mag, seperately. Never read it.

It's the one with Sum 41 on the cover. It has some great stuff in it nevertheless.

Ed's Shed is great and the "intro" movie in the Rock Essentials section is just orgasmic. I wish I had half the finger-abilty of that guy. One epic solo.
I think its ok, but i would rely solely on it's review when buy gear, you can tell they've been slipped some money.

♥ ♥

Newfags can't Loveforce.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Vintage Sunburst
Yamaha Pacifica
Peavey JD acoustic
Vox AC30VT
I stopped buying it a while ago, basically i got sick of seeing the same 3-4 people on the cover all the time, there's only so many times i can read practically the same article about trivium, bullet for my valentine, slash or hendrix.

the only place i actually see any of the bands i like are hidden away in a tiny corner of the "monitor" section of the mag and even then they only get a paragraph at most.

the tabs for the most part im not that interested in so i just don't buy it anymore

however i got Guitar Techniques the other day which has a great tapping feature in it by Gutherie Govan so i think i may get that for a while, at least while he's got a lesson feature there.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
When the new look TG came in it changed for the worse, less gear reviews, and the ones they had were like 500 words long. Guitarist is much better IMO, and it doesn't seem to be aimed at 5 year olds.
Page 1 of 2