Is there any way whatsoever to program the drums to the keys on my computer keyboard so i can play along to the track and record it, instead of going through some long, lengthy drawn out process of synchronizing drums via MIDI to a track that was out of time to begin with?
You know what I mean, like "A- bass", "S - Snare", "R - Hi-Hat", that sort of thing?
So, all I'd need is a Midi cable to USB, and I could use my old crappy Yamaha from 2000?

If that's the case it sounds like a sweet deal.
yea if you have a MIDI out on that keyboard you can use it without a problem, just get a USB to MIDI cable.

I use an older PSR340 Yamaha that I got like 7 years ago in my studio all the time to trigger MIDI and record piano tracks. It works great with the EMU interface cable.
And this will allow me to record in free time, not just program the drums, correct?

This is the main reason for me wanting to do this, so that it's not so... set in stone.
Oh, in that case, please use that keyboard...it's much better anyway as you'd get velocity control.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XMIDI1x1/

Get that, and you're done. Any good software like Ableton Live will let you do that over and done well.

And remember, MIDI's data, so you'll need software instruments plugged in or otherwise you are just recording inaudible bits of info.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by dragon1604
And this will allow me to record in free time, not just program the drums, correct?

This is the main reason for me wanting to do this, so that it's not so... set in stone.

Depending on the software you should be able to setup so you can trigger the drums and hear then as you touch each key. MIDI is only data so you need to send it though a software synth before it can be recorded as audio.

The Yamaha keyboard will be best to use since you get velocity as well.
Well... its quite an old keyboard, unfortunately the original sounds on the keyboard are not affected by velocity, so i don't think the midi will be either.

However, I'm satisfied just having legit-ish sounding drums in my songs haha.
It doesn't matter about the keyboard sounds...if it has MIDI outputs it'll just be sending data back and forth to the computer that will be translated into the drum signals. Worse comes to worse, look into M Audio's offerings for good quality and inexpensive keyboards.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

while its true that the sounds dont matter for his purpose, the ability to be velocity sensing is. All hits will be the same velocity without this. This could be fixed though by just going back and changing velocity after recording. That is one of the beauties of midi is that it can all be edited post recording

-Ryan
IMO I would just go for a new keyboard, even a $100 cheaper small one as going back to edit velocity on the drum tracks will take a long time to do not to mention get annoying after a while...
Quote by Jared R. Boyd
while its true that the sounds dont matter for his purpose, the ability to be velocity sensing is. All hits will be the same velocity without this. This could be fixed though by just going back and changing velocity after recording. That is one of the beauties of midi is that it can all be edited post recording

-Ryan

I'm referring to the Yamaha keyboard, which should have MIDI outs and velocity sensing. I don't know of a normal computer keyboard that has MIDI outs...

Unless that Yamaha has great feel, I would go for an M Audio Axiom, as I find it easier to create drum notes with drum-like pads.
Quote by keiron_d