Title says it all. I can write some good sounding songs, and I can make it a complete song, and get it sounding semi-pro. [See my myspace, Untitled Demo] Though I know I do mess up in some recordings, I'm doing my best to not be a perfectionist. That's great, but here's the problem, I've been doing covers so long[just learning and then with my church band, where I didn't sing at all] that I'm at a point where I cannot think of anything interesting. The things I think of are so cliche and repeated I don't write them down SIMPLY BECAUSE it's all been done before.

i.e. Girl it's been so long....

And I hate trying to write a song to a girl that doesn't exist. I need help getting ideas. Reading literature/songs to listen to or any form of english/language arts will help.

No I'm not in school anymore.
I got some good guitars, yo.
Then write about what frustrates you in the world, depends what song you're up for writing, i have it both ways, riff then lyrics, or lyrics then riff etc.

Say you wanted a slow song, it doesnt mean it has to be about a girl, it can be about anything, murder, genocide, even a hidden political message.

Say you wanted a fast song, again it doesnt have to be killing someone, it can be anything.

I know what you mean, its like learning guitar, dont expect to be brilliant when you first start, it comes with time, its slow with some, fast with others.

Dont delete the first things you try, save them and build a collection, not only can you reflect on them and see your progress, but it helps you see what you dont want to write spurring you on to do better.

Passion is the key
For instance, this is like song 7 that i wrote -

Lost, drifting, so much space
i should of known my place
now im cast out, alone

Locked in
Clocked Out
Tied up
Burnt out

Freezing Heat

Beat, shattered
Egos, scared by the tongue
Lashed, whipped
Stripped, of my asteem

Locked in
Clocked out
Tied up
Burnt out

-

Its got some ideas, but lets face it, its pretty bad, but its reading back over it and not letting it get you down, but turning it around to make you write something better, here's a more recent one, its called - Corrupted Air -

Drowning in your lies,
we're the ones that suffer

your indignation
and lack of divination
will end us all

the air we breath
is poison
exhaled from your lips

another twisted plan
to gain domination
over the people
you love

the air we breath
is poison
exhaled from your lips

we will
breath in your lies
and be corrupted
from the inside out
our judgement
remians
unsound

another twisted plan
to gain domination
over the people you love

the air we breath
is poison exhaled from your lips

we will
breath in your lies
and be corrupted
inside out
with no escape

-

I dont play metal or anything, im more of a muse type, many sides of a coin :P You can sing that as a slow kinda hoodoo type song, or a more TSP way, muse song names btw :P

So yeh, you notice a distinct difference, not only in the feel and length of the song, but also in the message, its more direct and open to be interpreted by anyone whose willing to read and listen, so anyway :P lecture over :P Good luck my friend =]
I find practice really helps, and everytime you get a good line write it down for later...
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
If you wanna write punk/rock alt rock, you can always write randomish lyrics. Lyrics that may not seem to make sense but have a deeper feeling to them. Like, "I fall down, as I stand" Doesn't make much sense but kinda sounds cool. BTW: I've already used that line. Don't steal it.
Quote by Rockstar729
If you wanna write punk/rock alt rock, you can always write randomish lyrics. Lyrics that may not seem to make sense but have a deeper feeling to them. Like, "I fall down, as I stand" Doesn't make much sense but kinda sounds cool. BTW: I've already used that line. Don't steal it.

How about, "I stare past the stars, as my world collapses around me."

Copyrighted line, patented too. xP
I got some good guitars, yo.
I'm having the same problem to be honest.

We've written 15 odd songs with drums and guitar, but can't write lyrics to save our arses.

Though we have just recruited a new singer, so let's see how it goes.
Gear

Guitars -
ESP V-500 w/EMG 81/85
Jackson Mark Morton Signature Primer

Amps -
Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 60 Head
Marshall MS-2 Mini-Amp

Pedals -
Line 6 PodXT Live
Blackstart HT-Dual Valve Distortion
There was a really good post somewhere on this site but I can't find it. The guy discussed how Jim Morrison's bedroom was wall to wall books and someone could pick any one and read the first line and Jim could tell you the title and author and the story if you wanted it. Leonard Cohen spent several years writing one song. He wrote some 70 verses or something and only used 7 or something. Apparently some of the other ones are brilliant too. Bob Dylan would write a song in fifteen minutes but he would write fifteen songs a day. He would just sit at his typewriter and go for hours everyday.

Treat your lyrics like your music. You sill suck at first but the more you practice and mess around the better you will get. Learn songs you like and figure out why they are effective lyrically. Change them around. Think of a theme and write ten songs on that one theme.

Murder for example, or death, a death sentence.

Check out some old folk songs and see if you can take an existing one and rewrite it from another perspective or with a different ending or slightly altered plot. Look at Stack O'Lee as an example of this there's a version done by Mississippi John Hurt back in the fifties or something -I think it was Mississippi John Hurt I can't remember at the moment- and another version done by Nick Cave about ten years ago or so. They are the same story but told in completely different ways and it's ****en awesome if you know the story and then come across a new telling of it.
Si
I usually find that it's easier if you have an idea what the song should be about, and then just sit with guitar on your lap playing the verse riff over and over and just sing random lines that fit the theme, and then work it around that way and maybe do a little polishing on some of the phrases.

Also, having a song melody really helps.
At least for me.
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.