And, as trusty as it has been, I am going to buy a different distortion pedal for my Krank Rev. Jr. The distortion on the Rev is okay, I guess, but when I used it without a pedal I felt that the tone needed a bit more "oomph". So, here are my options-

1. Krank Distortus Maximus + Krank Krankshaft Overdrive (Krankshaft-http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Krank-Krankshaft-Overdrive-Pedal?sku=151086) (Distortus- http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Krank-Distortus-Maximus-Distortion-Pedal?sku=157600)
- I've never had any experience with these, but the reviews I've read make them seem to be great quality. It's possible that I would order just the Krankshaft and see how it works with the distortion on the Rev. Jr, since the main concern is that I need a ton of OD on the amp to make it sound good (to me, at least).

2. Digitech Bad Monkey (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-Bad-Monkey-Tube-Overdrive-Pedal?sku=150831)
- Never used it. It's the cheapest on the list, which makes it appealing, but how well is it built? Is it a good Overdrive pedal? The phrase "you get what you pay for" usually fits most things, but I've also heard good things about the pedal.

3. Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SFX04-Twin-Tube-Mayhem-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=500251)
-The most expensive on the list and works a bit differently than the others, since this is a preamp. I don't know much about how preamps work, except that they are what "makes" your tone before it goes through the power tubes... I think... But it seems like it would work like my Metal Muff, since it has a boost (which I found to be very handy on the metal muff) and also has a distortion knob.

I play Thrash (think old Metallica, Megadeth, Testament, etc.) and Shred (Yngwie, Paul Gilbert, Rusty Cooley, etc.). So far I'm leaning towards the Twin Tube Mayhem...

EDIT: Whoops, forgot links. Sorry bout that.
Last edited by Centrifugal at Aug 15, 2008,
if you want cheap->DigiTech Death Metal, same ideia and price as the bad monkey only its for metal, it gets the job done
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
if you want cheap->DigiTech Death Metal, same ideia and price as the bad monkey only its for metal, it gets the job done

I care about quality. If it's cheap, then great. But why waste money on something cheaper yet worse then if you buy something that's more expensive, but higher quality in general? I'm rather bummed now since without the pedal, I don't like my tone... it really is turning me off right now, and I can't seem to find one good setting for it. I've played with the Sweep knob and other EQ knobs for an hour and can't seem to find anything. If anyone has a Rev. Jr. and plugs straight into it, can the give me a combination to dial in?
I came to the same conclusion with my Rev. Jr. It needs more gain at low volumes. I'm currently using a Metal Master at low volumes with good results.

1. I doubt that you'll use both at the sametime. From what I understand, the Russian dude on Youtube uses a Krankshaft + ISP Decimator Noise Gate. My thinking is the Distortion pedal alone may yield good results, but I don't know.

2. I have one, it tightens things up a bit, but doesn't really contribute anything to the Rev. Jr. I'd trade my for a Krankshaft in a heartbeat.

3. Never heard of it. I will say that I was surprised to find out that my Metal Master Distortion pedal acts a lot like an overdrive. When I turn up the gain knob on the pedal, the volume increase on my amp, without it sounding more "gainy." As a result I play with the gain on my amp and my pedal close to 1 on the dirty channel with the volume of the amp around 4 and I don't need to touch the boost switch on the amp making for a static free high gain tone.
Ok, so I guess the Bad Monkey is out.

Leaving three options- The Krankshaft, Distortus Maximus, or the Twin Tube Mayhem. Unfortunately, my tone right now sounds like a bag of rape and testicles. If the Krankshaft by itself can't do the job, then I might as well get the Twin Tube Mayhem since the combined cost of the Krankshaft and Distortus Maximus is higher than the TTM.
Quote by justinb904

DO NOT! buy a Digitech Death Metal pedal. It sounds really sharp, and terrible. It's really fuzzy, and it just plain sucks.

If you want quality, I say just buy an overdrive. Ibanez TS808 seems to be what people rave about. People also recommend Maxon and Fulltone pedals.

I'm not a fan of distortion pedals really. I think they sound really bad. Maybe that's just me though.
If the metal muff gave the sound that you liked you may be better off getting another one if you can't find something else that you like better.
It'd be good if you could try out a Distortus Maximus as I've heard that it acts more like an overdrive than a distortion pedal. I've also heard that Kranks OD and distortion pedals are tuned to work well with their amps, but I can't say that I've witness it first hand.
can i ask what happened with the Metal muff, i thought mine was broken, and wen i asked for a replacement the shop (UK EHX main dealer) said not one had ever failed. Mine hadnt either, there was a power supply problem, so check with a new battery/power supply (if you havnt already) because that sorted it for me :P. But if it is dead, and you liked it, get another.
Wow! If you wore out a metal muff, what must your penis be made of?
Damn
Quote by nomadh
Wow! If you wore out a metal muff, what must your penis be made of?
Damn

They don't call me Mr. Steel for nothing.

I think I'm just going to take the pedal in for repair. I doubt it would be that expensive. Do you think it might just be the battery? I'm hoping it's not the power supply because then they might have to order a new one.
Sansamp GT-2!
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by Centrifugal
They don't call me Mr. Steel for nothing.

I think I'm just going to take the pedal in for repair. I doubt it would be that expensive. Do you think it might just be the battery? I'm hoping it's not the power supply because then they might have to order a new one.

I would deffinatly check the battery, that pedal uses up batteries very quickly so it could just be ran out (maybe you left a cable plugged in). But if there is a internal problem, i would send for repair, or send back to the shop if it isnt too late, they might just send a new one.
Woh woh woh woh woh....
Why were you using a metal muff on a Krank rev jr?
Bad idea bro.

I just recently picked up a TS9 for mine and it sounds awesome now, I almost have as I lay dying's tone nailed! Seriously though.... for the price you should contact the user on here 'bloodshed' and get him to make YOU a custom overdrive for what YOU want. I have been meaning to do this and will but I found a TS9 for $40 so I couldn't denie it at that price :P

Also where is your sweep located ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Digitech pedals maybe be cheap. But they're a waste of money. I've got a chance to play with all of them on one of my days of dickin' around at guitar center. The sound is so stale and overly processed. The bad monkey isnt worth you're money. That and digitech pedals are not built that great and tend to break with little use. Though I was a fan of the Grunge pedal before digitech took over the model and changed it... to sound like crap. I've always been a boss fan personally. But then again that's just my one cent... (someone mugged me of my other cent). All I have to say if you've never used the digitech bad monkey pedal.. go to the store and play with it and I bet that you dont want it.