I got a 2001 Ibanez S520WNF last week with an Edge bridge, and I have a few questions.

How long does it typically take for the strings to stay in tune after putting on a new set? I changed the strings on it yesterday and I've noticed that it doesn't really stay in tune when I use the whammy bar. The bridge is level I think, well as level as I can get it. When I first bought it I think it was tuned down a half step or something, I'm not sure, cause when I got it home it was all messed up. When I tuned it to standard tuning it really screwed up the bridge and I had to tighten the springs in the back quite a bit.

Also I use the cross tuning method, I go low E, high E, B, A, G, D, like that. It seems to work well.

I know it's normal to have to tune the strings quite a bit after you change them, but I was wondering if there were any secrets to keep it in tune. Also, what strings do you recommend? I put D'Addario XL 9's on it.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
stretch your strings out quite a lot when you put them on

it makes that shakedown period for getting them to stay in tune much much shorter
Yeah I stretched them a bit but what is the best way to do that? Just tighten the string into the holder at the bridge, then stretch it?

Or do you mean after it is fully on the guitar and tuned and everything?
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Last edited by JJK at Aug 15, 2008,
i usually down tune about half a step when stretch the strings out for the first time, then i tune them, stretch, tune, and so forth
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
put the new strings on and tighten them a bit then pull em really hard at the 12th fret
they wont snap (hopefully)

that shud help out with keeping it in tune

as for using the whammy bar how tight have u done the locks at the headstock? cos the strings can still move underneath them

and no i dont care how bad my grammar and spelling is before anyone says
I just pull on the string and it stretches it.

Also when you get the bridge leveled again and you change strings change ONE at a time. Change the low E and tune it up.. then so on. It makes it much easier. You will never really get it 100% in tune before you lock everything up, just use your fine tuners to get the last little bit. You also wanna make sure your fine tuners arent screwed in or out all the way. You want them around the middle.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
i tune it up to what tuning i want but dont tighten the locking nuts then play a riff and so some divebombs and stuff lyk that and then retuneuntil it gets quite stable
and then lock em in
Equipment

GUITARS
Jackson RX10D
Ibanez GAX30
Ninja Strat Copy

AMPS
Laney LX120Twin Extreme
Fender Frontman 15W

Effects
Boss ME-20 Multi Effects Board
I adjusted the bridge some more today, but now the springs in the back aren't even. What I mean is the spring for the bass strings is being pulled tighter than the treble strings side. It looks uneven. Is this okay? Do the springs need to be of equal tension? It stays in tune great now when I use the trem, so I think I'm going to leave it. But could I get the springs to be of equal tension, do I adjust the trem pivot screws?
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp