Page 1 of 2
I am considering buying a Tele, but there are are hundreds of them, all different. What do people recommend?
i have just today bought a Highway 1 tele by fender and its one f the best tele's i have ever played, alot of people highly reccoment the highway1 and i do say check one out and see what you think because they are extremely nice
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
whats your price range, what kind of sound are you going for, and what amp do you have?
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Quote by Griever988
If you are willing to spend just a little bit more than a normal Tele I'd recommend a Telecaster Plus, its the only Tele you'll ever need. You can find them on Ebay

Don't ever buy a guitar off ebay, TS.

Go out and try out some Tele's, that's the only way you'll find the best one for you.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by dgme92

Go out and try out some Tele's, that's the only way you'll find the best one for you.

Why not? I got all of mine off there and they were completely fine.
Quote by Griever988

They were 'completely fine' that's why not.

A guitar should be something you love, something you have chemistry with, not something that is 'fine' or 'good enough' or 'not completely terrible'.

I'm by no means against buying used, but if you do, try it out extensively, but that goes for any guitar, find something you love, not something you'll settle for.
Quote by Griever988

i wouldnt say never on ebay but it should be the last place to check
there's no guarantee on anything unless the seller is an authorized dealer,
in which case it would be better to just buy one from a shop

i've seen bunch of people getting scammed, getting "all original parts" guitar only to find out that some pieces were replaced with cheap aftermarkets, etc.
Quote by Griever988

then u were lucky dude, some people get royally screwed on ebay. i would just say to our friend why not jus go to afew music shops in your area and just have a play with some and the one you like have a look to buying.

you dont need our oppinions as long as you like it thats all that matters
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by RatmN'Roses
whats your price range, what kind of sound are you going for, and what amp do you have?

I could spend 700 pounds which is 1400 dollars. I play rockabilly through a vox.
Quote by dgme92

Ebay is full of counterfeit, even items like razor blades are counterfeit!
jeasus man u have one hell of a budget lol, i would say start with standard tele and just go from there asuming ur in the states and theres a sam ash or GC near u tell the manager that ur wanting to try evert type of tele in the store, i've seen some dude seriously try every Gibby SG standard at the GC near me. they will let u do this as long as ur are going to by tele that day and u are vary serious about buying.

Good luck dude
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by rockinelectro
I could spend 700 pounds which is 1400 dollars. I play rockabilly through a vox.

If you play rockabilly I'd say you should get either a Highway 1 Texas Tele or a '52 reissue. Both are awesome.

Here:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-Texas-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515122

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Vintage-52-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510062
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Quote by sandman-105
jeasus man u have one hell of a budget lol, i would say start with standard tele and just go from there asuming ur in the states and theres a sam ash or GC near u tell the manager that ur wanting to try evert type of tele in the store, i've seen some dude seriously try every Gibby SG standard at the GC near me. they will let u do this as long as ur are going to by tele that day and u are vary serious about buying.

Good luck dude

Unfortunately not. I live in England. That 52 reissue is 1300 USD, but here it is 1300 pounds, that's 2600 USD. We get ripped off like you wouldn't believe. Petrol is 10USD per gallon over here!!!
Quote by rockinelectro
Unfortunately not. I live in England. That 52 reissue is 1300 USD, but here it is 1300 pounds, that's 2600 USD. We get ripped off like you wouldn't believe. Petrol is 10USD per gallon over here!!!

Well if you can't afford the Texas Tele, they have a Mexican-made 50's reissue. Still awesome.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Classic-50s-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510138

If not that, then there's the Esquire reissue (50 bucks cheaper)

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-50s-Esquire-Electric-Guitar?sku=511313

Or the Lite Ash

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Lite-Ash-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511339

or maybe the Nashville Tele ($600 USD)

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Nashville-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=510067

All are awesome.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Ever consider getting a strat instead? (just curious, imo, they're more versatile than teles)
Quote by ebbbaaa

I hear the mexican fenders are poor quality?
AC30, cool. There is nothing wrong with the MIM Fender, BUT you can afford better in your price range. I would consider the Lite Ash Tele and the Classic 50's Tele. The Esquire is pretty good too, and don't let people tell that it's a one-trick pony and such. I think the twang would be pretty damn good for rockabilly and the cleans aren't half-bad either. You just need to figure out how to use your FINGERS for your tone instead of the amp EQ.
Quote by al112987
Ever consider getting a strat instead? (just curious, imo, they're more versatile than teles)

Well, I have a Burns Marquee, which is a strat copy really, I want something different. My playing is not versatile, I play clean and simple all the time, just some reverb. I am one of those people that wants to sound the same all the time.
Quote by rockinelectro

jeasus **** man that sucks man. damn yall do get ripped off.well since ur not near any GC then i dunno im dont know much on fenders cept that there good guitars lol.

well good luck man

Peace
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by Iceman 420
AC30, cool. There is nothing wrong with the MIM Fender, BUT you can afford better in your price range. I would consider the Lite Ash Tele and the Classic 50's Tele. The Esquire is pretty good too, and don't let people tell that it's a one-trick pony and such. I think the twang would be pretty damn good for rockabilly and the cleans aren't half-bad either. You just need to figure out how to use your FINGERS for your tone instead of the amp EQ.

Does MIM mean mexican made? All those guitars seem to be mexican made, what do you think about that?
MIM means Made In Mexico. All those guitars are pretty good. The Lite Ash Tele is Made In Korea (MIK), but honestly, that's not a big factor in that the fact that it's a pretty good guitar. ALL of those guitars listed are good quality. Just play them see which one you like best.
Quote by Iceman 420
MIM means Made In Mexico. All those guitars are pretty good. The Lite Ash Tele is Made In Korea (MIK), but honestly, that's not a big factor in that the fact that it's a pretty good guitar. ALL of those guitars listed are good quality. Just play them see which one you like best.

OK, will do.
Quote by rockinelectro

you can get the reissue for £1000, but that's still a bit over budget.

what type of a tele are you after? vintage or modern? i'm guessing vintage, based on what you play, but i could be wrong...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by rockinelectro
Does MIM mean mexican made? All those guitars seem to be mexican made, what do you think about that?

i think at your budget you can do much better than MIM. i'd be looking at japanese ones, and also different brands (e.g. G&L, old 80s tokais, etc. etc.)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by rockinelectro
Well, I have a Burns Marquee, which is a strat copy really, I want something different. My playing is not versatile, I play clean and simple all the time, just some reverb. I am one of those people that wants to sound the same all the time.

I have a Marquee too (LOVE it). That's what led me to buy a Burns Nu-Sonic. Since you're in the UK, you might want to check out the Burns Nu-Sonic. It would be substantially less than a U.S. Tele or Strat. It has a Tele feel to it but is capable of so many more sounds: both Strat-like and Tele-like tones and everything from a jazz box to a Brian May type sound because it uses Trisonic pickups, just like May has in his Red Special guitar.

This is their "import" model though. It's made in China or Korea, but the quality -- at least on mine -- is SUPERB, certainly better than a MIM Tele and very close to if not the same as a Highway One Fender.

If you're looking for their top-of-the-line Tele-like guitar, try the Sonic in Burns Custom Elite line. I think that's completely handmade in the UK, but check on that. I'm not sure.

I actually like the Nu-Sonic better because it has the humbucker in the bridge position, and you can split that "in half" to a single coil, and end up with three single coils like a Strat. The frets were so-so on mine when I first got it, and it needed a fret levelling and a setup .... But so do Fenders. Action now is a dream. Mine is a nice gold-top gold, so I think they have others colors than what Burns shows on their site.

I got mine on ebay for like $300 U.S. shipped .... I have a vintage Les Paul worth a small fortune, but it has been in its case for the past six months since I got the Nu-Sonic.

Good luck
Quote by Walrus-gumboot
I have a Marquee too (LOVE it). That's what led me to buy a Burns Nu-Sonic. Since you're in the UK, you might want to check out the Burns Nu-Sonic. It would be substantially less than a U.S. Tele or Strat. It has a Tele feel to it but is capable of so many more sounds: both Strat-like and Tele-like tones and everything from a jazz box to a Brian May type sound because it uses Trisonic pickups, just like May has in his Red Special guitar.

This is their "import" model though. It's made in China or Korea, but the quality -- at least on mine -- is SUPERB, certainly better than a MIM Tele and very close to if not the same as a Highway One Fender.

If you're looking for their top-of-the-line Tele-like guitar, try the Sonic in Burns Custom Elite line. I think that's completely handmade in the UK, but check on that. I'm not sure.

I actually like the Nu-Sonic better because it has the humbucker in the bridge position, and you can split that "in half" to a single coil, and end up with three single coils like a Strat. The frets were so-so on mine when I first got it, and it needed a fret levelling and a setup .... But so do Fenders. Action now is a dream. Mine is a nice gold-top gold, so I think they have others colors than what Burns shows on their site.

I got mine on ebay for like $300 U.S. shipped .... I have a vintage Les Paul worth a small fortune, but it has been in its case for the past six months since I got the Nu-Sonic.

Good luck

Good idea! Hows your Marquee?
Highway one texas tele if your after a fender,

http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=4844&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=PriceComparison

Beatifull guitar, absoloute telegasm, I played one a while go and everything is just spot on.

Otherwise have a look into the G&L ASATs and some MIJ/CIJ Fenders if possible.
I'd consider getting a thinline tele (not the HH one)

But all tele's share a similar quacky tone I would think... (besides the john 5 tele)
I don't even shred
Quote by Nebjy
I'd consider getting a thinline tele (not the HH one)

But all tele's share a similar quacky tone I would think... (besides the john 5 tele)

Whats the difference?
Quote by rockinelectro
Good idea! Hows your Marquee?

REALLY like that too .... That was my favorite guitar before I got the Nu-Sonic. And I still use it a lot. The zero fret lets you take the action down SUPER low without buzzing, much lower than you'd ever get on any Strat I ever played.

The last tone knob is a push-pull. If you pull it, you get two more pickup combos: all three pickups and neck/bridge. Those are two very usable pickup settings that you don't get on a Strat, especially the neck-bridge one. If you play over the neck pickup with that setting it sounds like just the neck pickup is the only one on. Same goes for the bridge. So you can switch back and forth between two really different pickup sounds by just moving your playing position a few inches.

I will say this though: My Marquee is one of the older ones. 2002 I think, going by the serial number. They have a different trem than the newer ones. A Point Tech trem, that's made in the U.S. and costs like $250 if you were to buy it alone. A SOOPER trem. Thing stays in tune almost like a Floyd.

PLUS, my Marquee has an all maple neck, NOT maple with a rosewood fretboard like most of the newer ones. In fact, I don't know if you can get oen of the newer ones with a maple fretboard.

Not that the newer Marquees are really terrible or soemthing. They're not. They're great too. I just like the older Marquees better now that I know something about them. They're a little harder to find in the U.S. (the older ones), but I see them on ebay all the time from the UK, so I imagine they're plentiful over there.

You can tell the older ones because they don't have the truss rod adjustment cover on the headstock. That little black plastic cover. You have to pull the neck to adjust the truss rod ... But the neck is so rock solid that you'll never need to adjust the neck anyway.

Great guitar. Like a Strat on steroids. Many more sounds because of that push-pull switch. Plus, they don't look like just another Strat. People are always asking me about the Marquee or Nu-Sonic after shows. No one ever asked me about my Strat when I had one.

As I said, there are ads all over ebay for new and used ones from the UK, so they must be pretty easy to find there new in the music stores. They used to be easy to find here too but then -- from what I read -- Burns USA got angry at Burns London about something and basically dissolved Burns USA. There seems to be a few new Burns dealers in the U.S. now though.

Darn, this site slows my computer to a crawl. It must be some bad java routine in the site.
Quote by Walrus-gumboot
REALLY like that too .... That was my favorite guitar before I got the Nu-Sonic. And I still use it a lot. The zero fret lets you take the action down SUPER low without buzzing, much lower than you'd ever get on any Strat I ever played.

The last tone knob is a push-pull. If you pull it, you get two more pickup combos: all three pickups and neck/bridge. Those are two very usable pickup settings that you don't get on a Strat, especially the neck-bridge one. If you play over the neck pickup with that setting it sounds like just the neck pickup is the only one on. Same goes for the bridge. So you can switch back and forth between two really different pickup sounds by just moving your playing position a few inches.

I will say this though: My Marquee is one of the older ones. 2002 I think, going by the serial number. They have a different trem than the newer ones. A Point Tech trem, that's made in the U.S. and costs like $250 if you were to buy it alone. A SOOPER trem. Thing stays in tune almost like a Floyd.

PLUS, my Marquee has an all maple neck, NOT maple with a rosewood fretboard like most of the newer ones. In fact, I don't know if you can get oen of the newer ones with a maple fretboard.

Not that the newer Marquees are really terrible or soemthing. They're not. They're great too. I just like the older Marquees better now that I know something about them. They're a little harder to find in the U.S. (the older ones), but I see them on ebay all the time from the UK, so I imagine they're plentiful over there.

You can tell the older ones because they don't have the truss rod adjustment cover on the headstock. That little black plastic cover. You have to pull the neck to adjust the truss rod ... But the neck is so rock solid that you'll never need to adjust the neck anyway.

Great guitar. Like a Strat on steroids. Many more sounds because of that push-pull switch. Plus, they don't look like just another Strat. People are always asking me about the Marquee or Nu-Sonic after shows. No one ever asked me about my Strat when I had one.

As I said, there are ads all over ebay for new and used ones from the UK, so they must be pretty easy to find there new in the music stores. They used to be easy to find here too but then -- from what I read -- Burns USA got angry at Burns London about something and basically dissolved Burns USA. There seems to be a few new Burns dealers in the U.S. now though.

Darn, this site slows my computer to a crawl. It must be some bad java routine in the site.

Thanks for the informative reply.
Quote by rockinelectro
Whats the difference?

you mean the difference between thinline and solid body? or the difference between HH and "normal"?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you mean the difference between thinline and solid body? or the difference between HH and "normal"?

I meant whats the difference/advantage, the texas tele looks to be right for my sound.
the advantage of the texas tele over the other ones? no idea, i haven't tried it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well, thanks to everyone here, I am going to collect a Texas Tele in the next hour or so! Watch this space!!!
excellent, pics when you get back!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
for £700 you could get an american standard tele.

but try all of them out tbh
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
This guitar is frikking awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel that I am twice the player with it. It has huge frets, my fingers feel just right. It is so easy to play, it is unbelievable. String bending is great!!!

This is perfect for rock and roll, I have been Chuck Berrying it all day.

It sounds excellent!!! It can sound like a bright electro-acoustic through to heavy rockabilly. I listen to a lot of music from the 50s and the cliché is that people played Gretsch guitars back then. In fact, most Rockabillies played Gibsons or Tele’s, this guitar has that classic 50s sound, no mistake.
Page 1 of 2