SO ya ive been playing 2 years and progressing alright i guess but whenver i try and play leads they always sound bluesy , the kind of leads i wanna play are the kind in iron maiden,children of bodom,labyrinth,etc

i just dont know where to start i know the harmonic minor and natural minor scale but dont know how to use them and make them sound sweet i also can play 3 string arpeggios at a dcent pace i just dont know how to put it together into a power metal kind of solo any help is appreciated
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
Learn to play some of the solos you like; that will get your phrasing to be more like what you want to play.

The phrasing is much more important in the sound of a solo than the scales you use, you should work on phrasing your solos more like the power metal players than anything else.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Since you seem to be playing in the blues side of things, you've already got a start on most people who just copy songs and alter them.
metal/rock is a heavy spead up version of blues/jazz. If you play solos that sound like your playing the blues (old syle blues) then you should be working on building the met feel of things, such as when your playing a heavy riff, and you jump into an improv solo use chronomatic scaling along with a harmonic minor.
Or if you want to see how the greats got out of the situation your in (many of them have), look up the 2008 guitar world issue that has yngwie malmsteen in it, he explains how he used a combination of arpeggios and other mixed scales to develope both speed and fluid metal solos.

hope that helps
"...I tell them if its sounds good it's good, no need to change..."

Yngwie Malmsteen-
+1 to phrasing. If you know the pentatonic major and minor (mostly minor), and the blues scale, you're all set. That's at least %70 of what most metal bands use.

Try throwing in the occasional off-key passing note, do a lot of bends and trills, learn pinch harmonics if you haven't already, and experiement with quarter, 8th, and 16th notes. Try changing up how you impliment em, and learn solos from your favorite songs like Zaphod said. Learn how they do it and you'll find it easier to do on your own.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
sweet thanks guys
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks