hi there

about a year ago i got my lovely telecaster 72 deluxe reissue,
i fell in love with it and its served me well.

as you may or may not be aware, most of the sources you can find on the guitar suggest upping the stock pots to 500k ones as it is almost unanimously agreed to inprove the sound

now ive noticed some things that i dislike about the pickups at the moment, however there is lots i do like

just because some people think it sounds better doens mean i will so i want to do some research and find out exactly how the sound is "improved"

first of all, i suppose i would need to change the tone AND volume pots?

and how would it sound after its done compared to before? will it be louder? more warmth? more twang? more body? more bass? etc what will change

basically since i have little knowledge on the electrical side of guitaring i would like UG's feedback

is there any pots that you'd suggest? i went to my local guitar guitar and the lovely man gave me a talk-although he wasnt the guy who would do the change and he couldnt really comment on the above issues- and he said that they'd be replaced by ernie ball pots, anyone got enough experiance to comment on these? hope they last longer then the strings

finally, i assume this will void my warrenty?

thanks,
adam
The 500k pots will give it a brighter tone. 250k are usually for single coils and 500k are usually for humbuckers.
well it has 2 humbuckers, will it effect my cleans? i have a horrible image of them all sounding distorted and lacking of depth,

and will i be able to recreate sounds i have at the moment with my 250k pots with the EQ on my amp?
Keep your old pots so you can switch back if you're not happy. The only way to find out if you'll like them is to try them.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Keep your old pots so you can switch back if you're not happy. The only way to find out if you'll like them is to try them.

id sooner not leave it to that, id sooner get as much feedback here as possible, given im going to have to spend 32 quid on the pots + the installation fee(x2)
The pots don't affect the sound when they are at full CW rotation (10) as they are virtually removed from the circuit. 500k will make the tone less muddy when turned down. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

As stated above: It's easily reversible and the only way to know if you like it is to just try it.

edit: Do it yorself. It's not hard and saves alot of money. And yes, it'll void the warranty.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Aug 15, 2008,
Quote by Adamtbh
id sooner not leave it to that, id sooner get as much feedback here as possible, given im going to have to spend 32 quid on the pots + the installation fee(x2)

dude...that is way to expensive for two pots....u can find 'em other places ALOT cheaper
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
dude...that is way to expensive for two pots....u can find 'em other places ALOT cheaper

thats all 4,

8 quid each?
damn...i was thinkin standard tele...forgot the deluxe has four knobs.....AHHH!

feel free to call me a retard now.....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by Adamtbh
8 quid each?
Way too expensive tbh, I buy pots for about 50p or less.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|