I'm just starting out learning to play songs with harmonics on the bass (amazing grace to be precise) whats the best pick-up/amp settings to get clear harmonics? i'm using a ibanez bass which is a stingray/jazz (bridge humbucker + neck single).

i've cut the bass and boosted the treble but i still seem quite bassy.. any hints for getting "better" harmonics?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I play bass for the bass. So I'm proilly the wrong person to tell you anything. but it sounds like ya need midrange, not treble.
Quote by kranoscorp
I find that I feel the same about women who play bass as I think of immigrants in America.

I respect them for finding a place in society under a lot of ridicule, but I have an odd paranoia that they are going to steal my job.
Quote by ZeBubba!
it sounds like ya need midrange

yes. mids and high mids will bring out harmonics a bit more, and also a J pickup in the bridge works great for the clear tones. having the humbucker there won't keep you from getting good harmonics though, it's just a different sound.

also try playing near the bridge. but in the end it's all about practicing to get just the right touch for harmonics.
^^not necessarily helpful.
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
Pete Wentz sig reaches level 32, it evolves into Mark Hoppus bass.
Mark Hoppus bass uses tone knob!
it's super unneffective!
Last edited by failedstagedive at Aug 15, 2008,
thanks, thats really helpful advice. i can feel after not much practice my harmonics are getting better, but rolling right back on to the bridge pickup has made a big difference, i've put a bit more mid in and the sounds filling out a bit more now. cheers guys

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
can anyone give me any other good songs to practice harmonics in?
particularly harmonic chords, they sound lovely but i struggle to work out how they fit.

cheers

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Portrait of Tracy.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Portrait of Tracy will do nicely for harmonics. I'm surprised you don't know it?

But as far as getting nice harmonics, you should be able to get fairly good ones with any reasonable EQ. Boost some mids because even though harmonics sound really high pitched, they are still pretty much in the mids section.
I boost mids, cut highs and leave lows flat to give a good harmonic sound
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by failedstagedive
yes. mids and high mids will bring out harmonics a bit more, and also a J pickup in the bridge works great for the clear tones. having the humbucker there won't keep you from getting good harmonics though, it's just a different sound.

also try playing near the bridge. but in the end it's all about practicing to get just the right touch for harmonics.

myung uses humbuckers and he plays clean, clear harmonics (acos, lifting shadows of a dream etc.)

I'd suggest boost the mids... works for me
(maybe some effect will make it sound better too?)

edit: if you have a five string you can try lifting shadows of a dream? or else look up myung and harmonics, he has a crazy solo with it on his dvd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs1iT2dojww

both are in here actually, and YES he TALKS!
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Aug 16, 2008,
fitz's blog on Jaco has a section about harmonics I think.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
at least for my amp, Hi-Mid (out of a 4 band) seems to control the most for harmonics
(turning the tone up on my bass helps too)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....