Guitar Hero, is it having a positive effect or negative effect on music society?

Poll: does guitar hero and rock band have a positive or negative effect in music society
Poll Options
View poll results: does guitar hero and rock band have a positive or negative effect in music society
yes
43 57%
no
33 43%
Voters: 76.
Page 1 of 2
hello fellow ug persons,
i set up a poll but i do not know how to label them so the one that is on the left or top is yes, the second one is no
do you think that the guitar hero franchise has done good or bad for the music community. you could yes, in that it has brought along people who dont know music and that begin the interest of guitar, or no, that it limits peoples expierences in that they waste there time hitting buttons instead of picking up a real axe

my vote is yes, because i currently have 4 students in which 3 of them wanted to pick up guitar because of the game. i also like it because it also exposes new music to me and my students
You realise the music community extends beyond playing guitar? It has no effect at all.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
hmm i dont think so, even if the guitar heroes pick up a real guitar they won go far.
unless..

no they wont
I have no problem with guitar hero, except for the people who want to learn guitar because of it. I have a friend who only got it because of guitar hero and he sucks horrible ass. And the only songs he knows are on guitar hero.
Quote by Alexishxc1337
that poll makes no sense.

True dat.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
it teaches people rhythm.

there i said it! now close the thread!
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
i dont see the harm in it, it's introduced me to a few new bands, and gets kids into some good music, so yeah, i guess its fine
I think its having a positive effect. Its allowing people to start appeciating good old guitar rock, not this mainstream crap.

Cheers!

Go Leafs Go!!

Next season anyway
Quote by Bullethead
I have no problem with guitar hero, except for the people who want to learn guitar because of it. I have a friend who only got it because of guitar hero and he sucks horrible ass. And the only songs he knows are on guitar hero.

So what if he sucks ass and only plays songs from guitar hero? If he's enjoying himself, then more power to him.
Type in 'guitar' on youtube and you get slammed with Guitar Hero vids... However it's not ruining the music society, just lots of guitarists frown upon it. In reality it's just another video game.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
So what if he sucks ass and only plays songs from guitar hero? If he's enjoying himself, then more power to him.

+1 whats wrong with him playing guitar, even if he does 'suck ass'
Quote by Bullethead

lol why do you think gibson endorses it, so the rich assholes who play it will go "i wanna SG and a Les paul" and go buy their guitars even if they never play them
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Facepalm.jpg

It's a game for Gods sake. It's not going to make your guitar useless to play, and this thread has been made numerous times - the threads keep getting closed for a reason, you know?
Well, I voted no, but I'm somewhat inbetween in it.

It annoys me how sometimes people act like some band on Guitar Hero is the best thing to ever happen to music ever (*cough*Dragonforce*cough*), but I think it's good how it gets some people into guitar.

I know some people who started playing because of Guitar Hero, and they're actually committed to it, and they're having a lot of fun with it.

Edit: I don't mean just GH songs.
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

WHO SEND ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT?
can you explain the poll please?
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
whats so funny about the poll?
Gear:
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Guitar hero has in no way ruined music, and anyone who thinks otherwise is just being silly.

Iam whith UG's ONLY Dr Phil,

It's just a toy.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by x0rsist
whats so funny about the poll?

The question is not a yes or no question, but the answers are yes or no. You moron.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Guitar hero has in no way ruined music, and anyone who thinks otherwise is just being silly.

+1

Also your poll is retarded.
yes and no, yes because its shows people new music and no because if i ever bring a magazine to school with slash on the cover like 10 people come up to me and say "hey thats the guy from guitar hero" and i ask them if they no anything about him and they say "no, i just know him as the guy on guitar hero", that really pisses me off.
blahblahblah
Quote by Deliriumbassist

I don't know if he likes it or not, he hardly plays it.

Guitar Hero actually opened my eyes to softer music to, so instead of just Metal, I like classic rock now. It has some good and some bad effects.
Quote by metaldud536
I think it has affected the Violin community in a negative way

Violin Hero anyone???

i would play it
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by everlong12
yes and no, yes because its shows people new music and no because if i ever bring a magazine to school with slash on the cover like 10 people come up to me and say "hey thats the guy from guitar hero" and i ask them if they no anything about him and they say "no, i just know him as the guy on guitar hero", that really pisses me off.

Why? I'm sure Slash doesn't care so why should you?
Quote by everlong12

Hey at least they know about him instead of not knowing who he is at all.
sorry bout that i meant just positve effect forget the negative, my mistake fellas
Presumably "no" means "guitar hero and rock band do not have a positive or negative effect in music society"
Guitar Hero has ruined the music industry like Sims has ruined real life.
Quote by top shelf

I couldn't do it [masturbate] with the cast on however. That's when I dug out my baby sister's stuffed animals and went to town

Quote by Tubyboulin
Is it bad that I imagined you saying that in a really sexy voice?
Quote by JamesDouglas
The question is not a yes or no question, but the answers are yes or no. You moron.

what are you talking about? it is a yes or no question. then you post your explanation in here.
Gear:
Page 1 of 2