i mean a really interesting guitar fill, like the ones found in the stroke or lonely is the night (both by billy squier, lol, first examples that came to mind). are there any good tips for this?
There are about 8 million answer for this, but one tip that often gets ignored is to be creative with the RHYTHM of the notes in the lick (ie don't just play straight eigth or sixteenth notes). Just a quick tip.

Another would be to get creative with implied chords using the lick. A simple example, if the song is in A minor and the chord you want the lick to go over is an E minor, imply an Emin7 by sliding to or from a D. Just some random thoughts.
Last edited by PSM at Aug 15, 2008,
I usually just record the chord progression and just improvise over it until I find something worth keeping.
Quote by PSM
There are about 8 million answer for this, but one tip that often gets ignored is to be creative with the RHYTHM of the notes in the lick (ie don't just play straight eigth or sixteenth notes). Just a quick tip.

Yeah that's what I was gonna say, and furthermore just plain be creative. Come up with interesting ways to lead back into a verse or chorus that sound different and exciting. Keep experimenting with different ways to do that. Sometimes chromatic parts at the end of a fill work well (think "Get The Funk Out" by Extreme".
Try working with some of those concepts. Again, be creative.
Quote by Seryaph
You need to douse it in a 20/30/50 ratio of mustard/ketchup/horseradish and stroke it as fast as you can untill the mayonaise squirts out. Then consume.
Quote by PSM
Another would be to get creative with implied chords using the lick. A simple example, if the song is in A minor and the chord you want the lick to go over is an E minor, imply an Emin7 by sliding to or from a D. Just some random thoughts.

This is a useful tip; if you have a basic triad, for example, adding some interesting extensions in your lead work can create some unique color. Some of my favorite guitar fills are in "Play With Me" by Extreme; Nuno Bettencourt's a good guy to look at for fills, as is Matthias Jabs.
Quote by :-D
This is a useful tip; if you have a basic triad, for example, adding some interesting extensions in your lead work can create some unique color. Some of my favorite guitar fills are in "Play With Me" by Extreme; Nuno Bettencourt's a good guy to look at for fills, as is Matthias Jabs.

Matthias Jabs
Quote by iluvpickles
i mean a really interesting guitar fill, like the ones found in the stroke or lonely is the night (both by billy squier, lol, first examples that came to mind). are there any good tips for this?

Too many ideas, one from me is to hybrid pick some diatonic sixths, if you're fill is in a relatively confined space then this is the easiest way to create some cool intervallic sounds by string skipping.
Last edited by mdc at Aug 16, 2008,
Well I guess I just killed the thread?

Pulling off to open strings is always a good one too buddy.