Poll: What's the best deal?
Poll Options
View poll results: What's the best deal?
Peavey ValveKing 212
22 28%
Bugera 333xl
16 20%
Bugera 6262
9 11%
Traynor YCV50 blue
32 41%
Voters: 79.
Page 1 of 2
I'm in the process of saving up for a tube combo amp. I am wanting to spend 650 or less, and I have picked out some possibilities.

Peavey ValveKing 212
Bugera 333xl
Bugera 6262
Traynor YCV50 Blue

This amp is going to be for Shred, all types of rock, a bit of metal, and blues. I want something versatile, but I also want br00talz capabilities.

I will most likely play gigs with this amp. I need clean headroom!

What's your favorite?
valveking 212 is overkill you will never need that much volume. What about a Randall rg50tc? very good amp, Or a mesa 5:50, or f-30

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Peavey Valvekings are horrible amps imo. Used to have one in the house. Cleans are decent and the overdirve is ok but you arent gunna get any metal sounds without a pedal and that kinda defeats the purpose when you can get an amp that will do it on its own. I'd say the 333XL for its good cleans and awesome hi gain stuff plus it was 3 seperate eq's which the 6262 does not or the Traynoe BLue but it will need an od atleast to get to shred territory but they are very nice canadian amps.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Can't tell for the bugeras as I don't know these, but traynor vs. peavey-wise I can help.

The traynor's got a pretty good overdrive for hard rock, but not insane gain if you want it to be all metallish, the valveking's got a beefier built-in distortion but again not too good for anything less crunchy than 80's metal.

The sweet spot could be the ycv50 with a ts808 inbetween your guitar & your amp, so that you could kick-in the overdrive to boost your riff tone up a notch for leads gain and volume-wise. Also try to crank the clean channel of the traynor, sweet sweet natural overdrive may result from experiment :P. That could even give you all you would need tone-wise, crunch the clean & lower your guitar'S master to get the cleans, then push the master for a smooth drive, kick in the built-in drive for harder rythms, then mix-in wherever you feel like it the tubescremer to get it right anywhere anytime.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Quote by gtr_101
valveking 212 is overkill you will never need that much volume. What about a Randall rg50tc? very good amp, Or a mesa 5:50, or f-30

Well I know that 100 watts is overkill, but from what I've heard, is that it's just like a 50 watt amp, with more clean headroom.

I am not a Mesa fan. It's not my kind of tone really. Just thought I'd put that out there.

I am also not really a metalhead. I might play it once in a while. What I am really looking for is good lead tones. But I am not willing to sacrifice versatility with that Randall.
The bugera does a nice clean, a nice crunch and a nice high gain sound on its 3 channels. The traynor does a great rock/clean sound but lacks a metal sound without the pedal is what it comes down to imo.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
The bugera does a nice clean, a nice crunch and a nice high gain sound on its 3 channels. The traynor does a great rock/clean sound but lacks a metal sound without the pedal is what it comes down to imo.

I am really leaning towards the 333xl. I've heard great things about it's versatility, and not to mention, the 3 independent EQ's are awesome.

Is it true that it is similar to a Peavey JSX?
^ Probably more "inspired" by the JSX than similar. Ive never played a JSX but from what I've seen they are both made to accomplish similar goals while the sounds will probably be voiced a bit differently. For the price its a really amazing deal IMHO. Quality would probably be the biggest difference. You will just have to be more cautious with the Bugera but even this is highly debated where owners swear to its tank like quality and some say it shorts out before it even is turned on so really it seems like its a really good option as long as you dont get a lemon. Anyways good luck
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
I've had my 333XL for about two weeks and I must say, when I went shopping I tried all the amps listed up there and the 333XL was a cut above.
I can't say anything for Bugera since I haven't played one.

However that Traynor YCV50 blues is a sweet amp, it would need a pedal for shred but I think there's hard rock level gains available. It's a bit more classic voiced so the rock and blues should be covered. You might need some sort of pedal for metal and shred though.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
If the 333XL is more like a modded XXX instead of a JSX, I'd a little weary of it.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
If the 333XL is more like a modded XXX instead of a JSX, I'd a little weary of it.

I think I've narrowed it down to either the 333xl or YCV50. Right now I'm leaning towards the 333xl. I like the tone, it's a larger amp, it's versatile, and it has seperate eq. Although I'm scared that it won't be able to pull off blues, or lighter rock, even though it does have a crunch channel.

I just want to see what UG has to say about it.

I am a bit scared of the reliability issues with Bugera. I've heard quite a few stories about bad ones.

If anyone who owns one can reassure me of the reliability, it would be appreciated.
Quote by Explorer125
I think I've narrowed it down to either the 333xl or YCV50. Right now I'm leaning towards the 333xl. I like the tone, it's a larger amp, it's versatile, and it has seperate eq. Although I'm scared that it won't be able to pull off blues, or lighter rock, even though it does have a crunch channel.

I am a bit scared of the reliability issues with Bugera. I've heard quite a few stories about bad ones.

If anyone who owns one can reassure me of the reliability, it would be appreciated.

Well, imo the XXX doesn't pull off lower/mid gain stuff as well as the JSX, and it's cleans aren't anything to write about either, which is why I asked.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
B-52 Combo.
Quote by deathbat831
.........oh wow.
Eddy 372, im nominating you badass of UG
Quote by disturbed_n_wv
I believe thats the best looking Explorer I've ever seen, I did think they were all ugly until i seen that one Eddy372 good choice.

Quote by Explorer125
Well I know that 100 watts is overkill, but from what I've heard, is that it's just like a 50 watt amp, with more clean headroom.

I am not a Mesa fan. It's not my kind of tone really. Just thought I'd put that out there.

I am also not really a metalhead. I might play it once in a while. What I am really looking for is good lead tones. But I am not willing to sacrifice versatility with that Randall.

Used JSX? Or a Peavey 212 with a spearker/tube swap. Check out IbanezPsycho's and sadistic sponge for awesome clips. Links in a moment.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Sadistic+sponge/

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/IbanezPsycho/
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Last edited by Pinky19 at Aug 15, 2008,
Quote by gtr_101
valveking 212 is overkill you will never need that much volume.

Who the hell are you to say that?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Give us a budget, and list your favorite tones.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by Explorer125

Good choices. If you like the tone etc on the bugera then you should go with your ears. I think reliability should be handled under its warranty so unless your planning to tour it shouldnt really be a problem or your a professional musician who's income is completely from your gigs. This leaves you with your concerns over blues and lower gain rock. I think this is perfectly valid concern considering you wont be able to overdrive the amp without an attenuator. My advice would be you've narrowed it down to 2 amps, Go into your local music store and play them both in a blues type setting and any other concern areas you have. Also dont let people turn you off what you like whether its on UG or in the music store by some sleezy sales rep who assures you that the more expensive amp beside it will do what you like more.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Good choices. If you like the tone etc on the bugera then you should go with your ears. I think reliability should be handled under its warranty so unless your planning to tour it shouldnt really be a problem or your a professional musician who's income is completely from your gigs. This leaves you with your concerns over blues and lower gain rock. I think this is perfectly valid concern considering you wont be able to overdrive the amp without an attenuator. My advice would be you've narrowed it down to 2 amps, Go into your local music store and play them both in a blues type setting and any other concern areas you have. Also dont let people turn you off what you like whether its on UG or in the music store by some sleezy sales rep who assures you that the more expensive amp beside it will do what you like more.

Here's the catch though guys....

I live in a ****ty little small town. I am basically the only musician in my school, and we have a really small shop in town. They don't have much there really. The best amps they have there are Classic 30's Classic 50's and a blues deluxe. And besides that, all they have are Vox AD series.

I don't know of a place anywhere around where I live that is a Traynor, or Bugera dealer. Not to mention the Bugera site only tells you about Behringer dealers.

I live an hour and 15 minutes away from guitar center, and even that doesn't have the best selection.

I really doubt I could try either of these amps before buying.

I think I'll just have to take a leap of faith, and buy one.

I'll push it hard until the return period runs out, and if it doesn't **** up by the end of that period, then I'm good.

What do you guys think I should do?
Quote by Explorer125
Here's the catch though guys....

I live in a ****ty little small town. I am basically the only musician in my school, and we have a really small shop in town. They don't have much there really. The best amps they have there are Classic 30's Classic 50's and a blues deluxe. And besides that, all they have are Vox AD series.

I don't know of a place anywhere around where I live that is a Traynor, or Bugera dealer. Not to mention the Bugera site only tells you about Behringer dealers.

I live an hour and 15 minutes away from guitar center, and even that doesn't have the best selection.

I really doubt I could try either of these amps before buying.

I think I'll just have to take a leap of faith, and buy one.

I'll push it hard until the return period runs out, and if it doesn't **** up by the end of that period, then I'm good.

What do you guys think I should do?

hmmm well u definitely dont wanna buy an amp without at least trying it out, and that out of the question. So i think the next best thing u can do is listen to some clips on all of these amps ur interested in. and then make up ur mind and that way u can narrow ur choices down. I have a clean clip of the vk212 on my profile, im only using a eq pedal. Cheak out IbanezPyscho's profile to listen to some more hi-gain stuff.
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Carlo-Robelli Acoustic (first guitar)
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
Quote by TOILETHERO
hmmm well u definitely dont wanna buy an amp without at least trying it out, and that out of the question. So i think the next best thing u can do is listen to some clips on all of these amps ur interested in. and then make up ur mind and that way u can narrow ur choices down. I have a clean clip of the vk212 on my profile, im only using a eq pedal. Cheak out IbanezPyscho's profile to listen to some more hi-gain stuff.

Funny thing is, the only amp out of all the ones I listed that I HAVE tried, was the VK 212. I liked it alot, but I have a feeling I could do better for that kind of money. I don't know though, because I haven't tried anything else in that price range.

I really enjoy the versatility of the VK.

Not to mention they are supposedly super reliable.

I might even go for a VK halfstack, who knows. (Just in case I want to rock that hard)

To the people who have tried the Bugera 333xl.
How does it compare to a VK in bang for the buck?
I'd be a little weary of the Bugera, since it is affiliated with Behringer. At least the Traynor is Canadian built.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by Explorer125
Funny thing is, the only amp out of all the ones I listed that I HAVE tried, was the VK 212. I liked it alot, but I have a feeling I could do better for that kind of money. I don't know though, because I haven't tried anything else in that price range.

I really enjoy the versatility of the VK.

Not to mention they are supposedly super reliable.

I might even go for a VK halfstack, who knows. (Just in case I want to rock that hard)

To the people who have tried the Bugera 333xl.
How does it compare to a VK in bang for the buck?

i completely understand, i got my valveking for 20% off the price so it was a good deal for me. Either way sign up to receive emails from guitar stores online(Musicians friend, music123, guitarcenter, american music supply etc) the other day i received a coupon for 15% off so do that. Good Luck

EDIT: if u decide to go for a halfstack, don't get the valveking cab, get a avatar cab.
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
I play a 6262 and I can't tell you how happy I am with it.

For what you want to do though, I would go the 333XL.

The crunch on the 6262 is really nice, but takes over the clean channel and is not footswitchable. So for that extra diversity go for the 333XL. The trade off is that you wont get as good "Brootalz" out of it. God I hate the world brutal now.

Edit: Bugera is all about bang for your buck. Asking about Bugera on these forums is counterproductive though, because 85% of people haven't played them, and 100% of people have opinions on them.
Quote by aznrockerdude
I'd be a little weary of the Bugera, since it is affiliated with Behringer. At least the Traynor is Canadian built.

Yeah. I see what you mean there.

But supposedly Behringer doesn't build them.

Reliability is definitely my main concern.

Traynor amps have the worlds greatest warranty, but I don't know if I really like the tone all that much. (it sounds like a Marshall)

I'm still trying to figure out what the **** to do here.

I've been trying for a long time. I would like to make a true decision soon.

I think the VK half stack would be a bit too overkill for my needs right now. Plus I want something that I can actually lug around sometimes.

I was originally (about 3 months ago) going to go for a VK 112. If I did that, I would save some serious cash, and I could get it relatively soon. But I think I would get rewarded with my patience.

I adore the tone of the bugera, but am concerned about quality
I don't care too much for Traynor's tone, but It's warranty is ****ing awesome
I like the Vk, but I think I might be able to do better.

What should I do???
Quote by Explorer125

Traynor amps have the worlds greatest warranty, but I don't know if I really like the tone all that much. (it sounds like a Marshall)

I think the VK half stack would be a bit too overkill for my needs right now. Plus I want something that I can actually lug around sometimes.

I was originally (about 3 months ago) going to go for a VK 112. If I did that, I would save some serious cash, and I could get it relatively soon. But I think I would get rewarded with my patience.

What should I do???

Process of elimination my friend. U say u don't care for the traynor's tone, well there u go. It doesn't matter that it has the best warranty(ive got 6 years warranty on the VK)what are u going to do with an amp that doesn't have the tone u want? Do some more research on the amps. If u want more info on the VK go to The ONLY Valve King Discussion Thread and ask questions about it. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737907&page=45&pp=20
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
Quote by Explorer125

What should I do???

Honestly the sound of the amp is the most important factor. The traynor may have an awesome warranty but what exactly do you expect to go wrong with any of these amps? Most times its something simple like a tube dying or a transistor giving out. Anything major like the amp being dropped from a large height or being rained on or something that would total the amp usually isnt covered by any warranty. I originally was gunna buy a crate V50 but waited a bit and saved up for a mesa boogie and I'm so happy I did. Since you've heard the VK compare your experience to the bugera samples andm ake your choice. WORST case scenario is that you dont liek the amp and you exchange it for the other one. As long as you buy it from a place that permits that sort of thing.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Explorer125
I am really leaning towards the 333xl. I've heard great things about it's versatility, and not to mention, the 3 independent EQ's are awesome.

Is it true that it is similar to a Peavey JSX?

IMO its not even close. If you like the jsx try getting a used xxx or ultra
Quote by Slanderous666
Honestly the sound of the amp is the most important factor. The traynor may have an awesome warranty but what exactly do you expect to go wrong with any of these amps? Most times its something simple like a tube dying or a transistor giving out. Anything major like the amp being dropped from a large height or being rained on or something that would total the amp usually isnt covered by any warranty. I originally was gunna buy a crate V50 but waited a bit and saved up for a mesa boogie and I'm so happy I did. Since you've heard the VK compare your experience to the bugera samples andm ake your choice. WORST case scenario is that you dont liek the amp and you exchange it for the other one. As long as you buy it from a place that permits that sort of thing.

I don't really know... The only thing I've seen is youtube clips on the bugera. It sounds great, but I can never tell on youtube.

How does the VK 212 compare with the 112? Is it a whole lot different? I played the 212 at guitar center, and it sounded freakin awesome even on extreme low volumes. If the 112 is about the same, then I think I might save myself some time, and money, and just buy that.

I know that some people despise them and all, but I kinda like the tone, not to mention they are really versatile. I dialed in a good Randy Rhoads tone, an EVH tone, a great clean tone, and a Br00talz tone all very easily with the 212.
Quote by Explorer125
I don't really know... The only thing I've seen is youtube clips on the bugera. It sounds great, but I can never tell on youtube.

How does the VK 212 compare with the 112? Is it a whole lot different? I played the 212 at guitar center, and it sounded freakin awesome even on extreme low volumes. If the 112 is about the same, then I think I might save myself some time, and money, and just buy that.

I know that some people despise them and all, but I kinda like the tone, not to mention they are really versatile. I dialed in a good Randy Rhoads tone, an EVH tone, a great clean tone, and a Br00talz tone all very easily with the 212.

I used to have the 112 version of the valveking. I never really achieved any of those tones well on mine but you may be more skilled at EQ'ing than me. But the big difference between the 2 is that the 212 ( and head versions) both have 2 extra knobs on them. Resonance and Presence which might have been where you were getting the EVH and RR sounds from. From my personal experience the tones you mentioned werent possible on the VK112, my guss being that those 2 extra knobs add alot.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
My thoughts are simply this on the VK combos.

The speaker is not the greatest but can be easily swapped. The EQ'n and figuring out all of the knobs takes time. An OD pedal like a Tubescreamer version or a Bad Monkey really helps this amp out of the gate. Same with a EQ pedal (next purchase).

To me the 212 is 20 lbs. heavier, slightly louder, $100 more, and has more headroom but who cares? The Gain tracks well. Oh, and 2 speakers to swap if you go that route. The 212 does have the extra damping controls and more cab out options ohm wise. See, no offense to the 212 owners.

PS. I was in a similar boat when I made my decision. I've decided to pimp it.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
My thoughts are simply this on the VK combos.

The speaker is not the greatest but can be easily swapped. The EQ'n and figuring out all of the knobs takes time. An OD pedal like a Tubescreamer version or a Bad Monkey really helps this amp out of the gate. Same with a EQ pedal (next purchase).

To me the 212 is 20 lbs. heavier, slightly louder, $100 more, and has more headroom but who cares? The Gain tracks well. Oh, and 2 speakers to swap if you go that route. The 212 does have the extra damping controls and more cab out options ohm wise. See, no offense to the 212 owners.

PS. I was in a similar boat when I made my decision. I've decided to pimp it.

So how is your overall tone with the VK 112?

Was it pretty good out of the box?
vk 212 gets my vote, great amp, im saving one for myself
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Quote by Slanderous666
I used to have the 112 version of the valveking. I never really achieved any of those tones well on mine but you may be more skilled at EQ'ing than me. But the big difference between the 2 is that the 212 ( and head versions) both have 2 extra knobs on them. Resonance and Presence which might have been where you were getting the EVH and RR sounds from. From my personal experience the tones you mentioned werent possible on the VK112, my guss being that those 2 extra knobs add alot.

So you're saying that the 212 is more tweakable than the 112?

I loved the 212, but like I said, I've never tried the 112. I think I might either go for the 212, or just blow it all and get the Bugera 333.
The Traynor is better for the genres you listed. It can do metal but it needs an od. If you are only playing a "little metal" this is the best chioce. The Bugeras are just br00talz amps and the Valveking blows
I have a VK 112 its pretty good and excellent for my playing needs i have a SD-1 in front of it,and use a cry baby wah,and a DD3 in the effects loop,its great for classic rock,I do agree with most owners of these amps that you would need to change the speaker,but overall its pretty good.
Quote by mcrfobtai
The Traynor is better for the genres you listed. It can do metal but it needs an od. If you are only playing a "little metal" this is the best chioce. The Bugeras are just br00talz amps and the Valveking blows

I'm thinking that most of what you said is true, except for the ValveKing part. But the thing is, Traynor's sound too Marshall-y for me. If I wanted that kind of tone, I would get it from an Orange amp. The tone is far superior IMO.

I liked the tone of the VK when I tried it. I think I would be happy with it.
Quote by Explorer125
I'm thinking that most of what you said is true, except for the ValveKing part. But the thing is, Traynor's sound too Marshall-y for me. If I wanted that kind of tone, I would get it from an Orange amp. The tone is far superior IMO.

I liked the tone of the VK when I tried it. I think I would be happy with it.

"The Bugeras are just br00talz amps" Ok this is just ignorant and really is forgetting about its very decent clean and crunch sounds that can even be heard in the simplest youtube clips. Forget the traynor if you dont like the sound and focus on the VK and Bugera
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
go with what sounds good to you.

about the only thing i would say blows in the MG. Twenty one thousand people visits to the Valveking Discussion thread is not people seeking advice on how to return it or what the resale value is.

oh, and i think i said this but the 112 should be fine.
Page 1 of 2