although I have a little expericence with guitar (1 1/2 years), I have none with bass, so...

what are the recommended wattage ranges on a bass amp for:

-bedroom practicing

-jamming w/ friends, and getting over drums

-small gigs(don't really need to know this one now, just curious )

thanx for ur help!!
My bass player has a 60 watt bassman and that thing is loud enough for our gigs although he has it on like 8/10 all the time.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
drums, I'd say about 200+ watts to be safe.

you can practice with any wattage.

I mean any wattage. 5 will do.

small gigs should be fine with your 200+ jam amp.

I played an Acoustic B200 yesterday, cheap and it sounds very clear, I wholeheartedly suggest it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I've got a 300 watt ashdown amp and I play alternative/hard rock. I can easily be heard, even with the guitarists both have 120 watt amps and the drummer playing pretty hard.

I'd have to say get at least 200 watts.
200 watts to play with drummer, nice...

thanx for the help so far!!

One more question, would a 200 watt bass amp be too loud for practicing at home, even with it turned down?
Quote by Cold Flame44
200 watts to play with drummer, nice...

thanx for the help so far!!

One more question, would a 200 watt bass amp be too loud for practicing at home, even with it turned down?

Nope, as long as you turn it down low it should be fine. I've practiced with my 300 watt amp turned WAY down and the neighbors have never complained + ive had no problem hearing myself.
Well for practicing I would have a separate amp simply because I may want to go play in front of the TV instead of the computer. Its kinda inconvenient to do that with a big amp. Even if it is just a $50 amp, its worth it to me. For jamming, maybe 150 is a good starting point. For gigs, maybe 200-250 or more. My 100 watt Ampeg sounds like **** during band practice, simply because it must be cranked just for me to be heard.