So, I have an idea. How about a thread that just has sound-clips of various amps? I think it'll be a good resource to have tons of clips in one place, and then you won't have to deal with the shitty audio quality on youtube.

What are you're feelings on this, and would you be willing to provide your own sound clips if you own the amp, demonstrating different channels, reverb, trem, and everything else that makes each amp unique

Edit: It probably won't be all UG clips, but if you find a demo somewhere, post the link here for others to access easier

If it looks like enough people are interested I'll start it later tonight, unless someone else starts it beforehand.

Thoughts?
Last edited by pak1351 at Aug 15, 2008,
Well, sounds good in theory, but:

* demos should be done using a good guitar, to show the real capabilities of the amp. I don't say that it should be done using a Fender Custom Shop or something, but doing a demo of an amp using a Squier Standard isn't a good idea. Still, it's not as much of an issue as the second point:

* demos should be done using a good quality recording equipment, amps should preferably be mic'd, and I don't mean using a crappy Skype mic. Something like SM57 would be enough, but I don't know how many people here have such quality mics (I don't have one)
couldn't you run the amp to the computer through the line out? Thats how I record my amp, though it is solid state, not tube, and not all amps have a line out.

EDIT: (to above) dont worry, I doubt there will be alot of people playing Squiers through Fender Blues Deluxe amps, JCM 900's or Peavey 5150's
"A guitar is the human soul, speaking with just six strings..."- Eddie Lee

Irvine Kinneas of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Last edited by skvvisgaar at Aug 15, 2008,
Quote by skvvisgaar
couldn't you run the amp to the computer through the line out? Thats how I record my amp, though it is solid state, not tube, and not all amps have a line out.

Yeah, not all amps have line outs. Plus, recording an amp using a line out isn't exactly the best thing to do, because the speaker is very important part of the sound and many amps don't have speaker simulation when recorded via line out.

Of course every person recording a demo should write what equipment did he use to record the sound, but I think that it could lead to many posts with 'I used a crappy mic, the amp has much better cleans and bass response' in them. And it isn't exactly what we're looking for.

Here's a cool example of how should it look like (it's a Czech site, but you'll understand how it works):

http://hlavy.instrumento.cz/

All amps recorded with the same mic, more or less same EQ settings, speaker cab indicated etc. Good stuff for metalheads out there!
Yeah, preferably we'd have UG'ers doing the demos, but there are bound to be amps that people don't have, or were recorded under less than ideal conditions, so providing a link under each amp to a professional soundclip or something would also be good.

For demos, list guitar, pickups, speakers, settings, and any effects (try to keep it low, either stuff on the amp like reverb or trem, or maybe an od or something that you run in front of the fx loop if it has one, for a portion of the clip).

Anything else that should be included?
For those interested, the mic used and mic position on the cab could be listed too.
Whether the cab's open or closed back aswell probably.
A UG'rs netmusician type thread would be cool. Yes, detail on variables would be good so people can listen with those in mind to keep the bashing down.

In other words, don't let it turn into a Rate My Gear or Rate My Playing or recording methods Thread....just do the best with the amp and gear you have...
I could see that kind of thread being a lot of fun but could be very missleading. The guitar players skill plays an enormous part in how good or bad an amp sounds. A skilled player would sound great through a cube 60 but may not have the skills to produce a good recording. On the other hand a new guitar player could sound bad through a Marshall Plexi regardless of their recording skills. Now there are good clips of Marshall Mgs out there, recorded well by skilled players but most here think they are not very good amps. The problem is that a person could hear the good MG clip and then hear a bad classic 30 clip for some reason or another.
Good news UG!

Next weekend I'm doign a BIG gear demo video. Of both the Rocker 30 and 18 watters, possibly Laney too. Will also do of my Fulltones. And use both Strat and Les Paul (at least for the amps!).
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^Aww well maybe this one'll be better:

I have quite a few Peavey Valveking samples ready and can supply Orange Rocker 30 examples, if you need them.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
^Aww well maybe this one'll be better:

I have quite a few Peavey Valveking samples ready and can supply Orange Rocker 30 examples, if you need them.

I had to fight a bunch of red tape as well which was one down fall. Protesters said I needed to be in the riffs and recordings section even with it being blatantly about gear....

30 examples .. somebody has really bern working that honeymoon period lol
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I had to fight a bunch of red tape as well which was one down fall. Protesters said I needed to be in the riffs and recordings section even with it being blatantly about gear....

30 examples .. somebody has really bern working that honeymoon period lol

...No, Orange Rocker 30 is the name of the amp...

Aah well, on that note I'll go to bed

Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Aug 15, 2008,
Alright, awesome guys. I'm gonna start the real thread tomorrow, and we'll see how it goes from there. I would do it tonight, but I just got back from my buddy's house and am feeling it.

Hopefully it'll work better than ibanez psycho's..

And will include amp, settings, guitar, pups, mic, speakers, cab position and construction, mic placement, etc. And it;'s my guess that we won't have too many dud clips on what is normally recommended here, since so many people own them. There might be a few bad ones from people who don't know how to record, but if it's as popular as the classic 30, there are bound to be good ones as well.

I was thinking of sorting alphabetically by brand, then alphabetically inside the brand.

3 or 4 spots reserved for future edits sound about right?

ANy other input before I make it tomorrow would be good, or pm or w/e, especially you ibanez psycho, since you kind of did it before (I didn't searchbar, i just figured if there was one it would have been stickied)

Gnight
i would be curious as to how it pans out...i will not be contributing due to poor mic/skillz.

if you do this - i would go ahead and Quad post now to save the space and then also leave some dummy posts (like "cool" bump) to make more room if needed. I can't believe I just recommended breaking rules. I would try to keep it to UGrs Profiles or you could end up with a whole bunch of stuff but I realize folks use other mediums to post clips - especially those that are more gifted.

Additionally, maybe folks can put their 'specs' and settings in there Comments to keep the play time to a max. Also maybe recommend that clips are under 2 or 3 minutes as my opinion is that attention span is short - especially on the inturdnet. Oh, and maybe short descriptions instead of 'check out my killer amp'!

Like: Mesa trip rec - brootlz
Mesa trip rec - clean

just imo....

Edit: Psycho - if you see this what would you recommend based on your experience?
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 15, 2008,
Quote by Gabel
Good news UG!

Next weekend I'm doign a BIG gear demo video. Of both the Rocker 30 and 18 watters, possibly Laney too. Will also do of my Fulltones. And use both Strat and Les Paul (at least for the amps!).

Sounds great, dood! I really liked the last one you did. We'll have to start calling you
"Hollywood" pretty soon if you keep this up!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
^ +1

also, i think this was done before, if you do a search you might find it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?